April 19, 2024, 03:43:26 AM

News:

PV2 Help with Timing when hot

Started by mcouture, November 08, 2018, 06:15:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcouture

I've been running my 2015 Limited for a few years now with this setup:

PV2 w/ Fuel Moto map (tuned a couple times on the road)
FM air cleaner
FM header
Wild Pig mufflers

This summer the wife and I did a cross-country trip and I noticed at cruise (60mph-70mph) I would get audible pinging.   A slight twist of the wrist would remove the ping and back on cruise it would ping once again.   

This would only happen when the air temps were 90* and better.

After a couple days of pinging, I pulled the PV2 out of my saddlebag and mounted it on my handlebars.       I watched it closely from there on out...   at steady-state (ie: on cruise) it would constantly pull 1 - 1.5+ degrees and especially 'on-transition' from flat road to a dip or a small hill, it would pull 1-2 degrees until it settled back down.   

I've been watching it since and I've made some day trips 1-up in much cooler temps (50-60*) and while there is no audible pings, it can and does pull 1-2+ degrees of timing quite regularly....on transition...

It happens from 50 kpa on up.     I've tried to take 2 degrees of timing out from 50 - 80 kpa from 2700-4000 rpm and I still get these "events".

Any thoughts or recommendations?

1FSTRK

What spark plugs and plug wires are you running?
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

mcouture

I'm using stock plugs and wires.     Both have less than 8K miles on them.

hdbikedoc

make a data collection and look hard at the knock event and rpm and kpa  I suspect its in a lower kpa zone just

change the area that pings 4 0r 6 squares on chart
Keep your feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked