March 28, 2024, 08:50:49 AM

News:

A question about paint codes.

Started by Paniolo, May 19, 2019, 11:26:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paniolo

How does this work?

Do I just go into an automotive paint supply store and ask for 94399 and they give me a can of matching paint for my 2006 CVO Ultra in Black Candy Crimson & Charcoal Slate?

It can't be that simple can it?
Life can only be lived in the present moment.

Mule

There are formulas for colors, but that doesn't mean it will match! It may be close, but different paint manufacturers products are different formulations from the original paint the factory used.  Different amounts of pigments and other raw materials effect the color, that's why a good body shop will Eye match a color. Even then a trained eye can spot the difference.

Paniolo

Quote from: Mule on May 19, 2019, 11:37:33 AM
There are formulas for colors, but that doesn't mean it will match! It may be close, but different paint manufacturers products are different formulations from the original paint the factory used.  Different amounts of pigments and other raw materials effect the color, that's why a good body shop will Eye match a color. Even then a trained eye can spot the difference.

So if I understand correctly, that number is a formula for the color, but not necessarily the matching color. A painter with a trained eye is needed to figure out the correct proportions and pigmentation.

And then paint makers have a variance too, right? In other words a 94399 from Dupont may not be the same as a 94399 from another brand.

road-dawgs1

Those are Harley part numbers for the respective colors in touch up kits or rattle can. I don't believe that is necessarily the paint code for that color.
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

kd

Body shops have a machine that reads the color and calculates the amount of age depreciation that has occurred.  Some colours like reds, orange, yellows bleach out from UV sun exposure.  They can usually  color match so 2 prices side by side look identical.
KD

Paniolo

Quote from: kd on May 19, 2019, 12:23:50 PM
Body shops have a machine that reads the color and calculates the amount of age depreciation that has occurred.  Some colours like reds, orange, yellows bleach out from UV sun exposure.  They can usually  color match so 2 prices side by side look identical.

How do they know which way to paint it? Which is the base, the sparkle, the clear,...?

Coyote

Seems like if you are going to have someone paint something, just let them worry about getting the correct paint.

If you are going to do it yourself, I would guess you would already know the answers.

HD "paint codes" (p/n's) are not color formulas. Anyone who paints will know what order to apply the base, color and clear coat.

:nix:

Mule

True part numbers are not formulas ,but there are formulas based on part number paint codes...
http://www.colormaniapaint.com/originalcolors.html

BVHOG

As mentioned there are machines that will basically "take a picture" of your part and then create a code. That being said don't count on a match as most Harley paint has it's own specific pearl flake and most paint stores won't keep these in stock.  The CVO stuff can be the worst. No doubt in my mind you have a 3 stage color on your cvo which will require the correct base and then the correct number of coats to match the color. This is one of those things I would talk to your nearest dealer about.
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

SOCS

Most every dealer has a guy they trust with their paint/repairs whether it is in house or outsourced. I used to handle the paint for a couple of local dealers. A good painter knows the proper application of base, metallic or pearl and then clear to achieve the best match and they all have their preferred system (brands) to do this. Even then humidity, temp and just the way a pearl or metallic lies will cause variance.
Best thing to do imo is contact your dealer or ask around locally and ask who they use. As stated earlier certain pigments, pearls and even clears age with uv exposure, pollen, chemicals. This can cause color shift, yellowing, chalking. A good painter will match by eye in the sun, the new guys use a meter to gauge gloss and color. It will never match perfect and may flop in different light sources but a good painter will get it close enough to pass the eye of most people.

Ohio HD

I will say this, I have bought new steel from HD, pre-painted, and it matched the original parts 100%. My 2008 is Candy Red Sunglow.

IronButt70

When I added hard bags and fairing to my softail I ordered paint from Color Rite and it matched perfectly.
https://www.colorrite.com/
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

Ohio HD

Color Rite doesn't supply most CVO paints. OP has a 2006 CVO Ultra.

kd

CVO paint formulas are protected. We have tried to get access to them and no go.  You have to buy the tin from the mother ship or do without.
KD

bump

I lost a saddlebag lid off my shovelhead. The lid skidded down the from 60 mph scratched and
gouged pretty bad. Sanded and filled and sanded both saddlebags. Went to local auto paint
supplier and they took a picture of paint on gas tank with some kind of camera. Went in shop and mixed up some paint, showed it to me then put it in a rattlecan. Painted bags and put them back on bike, they match almost perfect.

IronButt70

Quote from: Ohio HD on May 19, 2019, 07:54:19 PM
Color Rite doesn't supply most CVO paints. OP has a 2006 CVO Ultra.
Did not know that but seeing that MoCo is involved I'm not surprised.
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

Phu Cat

I noticed a guy in my neighborhood that had a Ford truck the same shade of red as my Triglide so I stopped in one day when I saw them him in the yard and we talked about his truck.  Turns out it's the same year as my bike.  So he wrote down his VIN in my owners manual.  Should I ever meed to repaint part of the bike won' I be able to use Ford red that matches his VIN?

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

Hossamania

You can use that VIN to get the correct color to match the paint on his truck. I doubt that it is an exact match to your Glide, but if it's close enough for you, use it.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

SOCS

Quote from: kd on May 19, 2019, 08:18:12 PM
CVO paint formulas are protected. We have tried to get access to them and no go.  You have to buy the tin from the mother ship or do without.
PPG & HOK

Edit...I quoted the wrong post, meant to quote the post referencing  ColorRite. Hate using my phone on the forum lol