March 28, 2024, 05:38:29 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

lifter or push rod noise

Started by tenorhog, January 09, 2019, 11:04:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doctorevil

I have heated cylinders to 230 degrees and have measured no more than .014 growth. this is not atrue indicator of growth because i heated the whole cylinder. The non combustion area of the cyl would have a lower temp ie less growth. .060 growth is a 1/16 of an inch.

kd

Well, I guess I better qualify my .060 growth statement too.  :banghead:  This is a number that has been offered on this and other sites by some of the pros. It was stated during stud pulling and head torque discussions as well as lifter adjustment..  I have not personally measured any and am not interested in wasting any more time by researching who or when. The OP has plenty of help here without me confusing things so please disregard my earlier contributions.
KD

doctorevil

It is all good KD we just try to help each other out. I apologize if you took it as condescending.

dave brode

I'll ditto what doctorevil wrote, KD. 

My point was meant to state that it seems to me that some put to much emphasis on one amount of preload being correct, or better, over another [also perfectly fine] amount. As long as the clip isn't being hammered, and the lifter isn't bottoming, it should be fine, really.

I will note that some claim that running near bottom can cause oiling issues in some lifters. I don't know if that is true or not.

Dave

kd

All is good here.  I should have stayed out of it.  There was plenty of traffic without me jamming it up.  I used slang thinking the OP would know what it meant.  Post #16 and 17 gave 2 different TPI scenarios and one gave the same pitch as I got from the S+S chart I provided ( under caution and with my source attached I might add).  I missed Boe's post confirming he romoved one of his HD pushrods and measured it at 24 TPI after thinking it was 32 TPI   :embarrassed:

Many people adjust top down and some from bottomed up.  Tomato / Tomatoe  :nix: 

The fact that the problem occurred only when hot (not warm - hot) is why I mentioned possibly trying a deeper setting but I guess not directly enough. Deeper settings have cured many of these complaints to the point some of our top builders on this site just do it right off the bat. It's no different than setting limiters just cracked off the bottom.  Mine work well that way.

Carry on, your doing a fine job. We'll see what cures it (I hope).
KD

tenorhog

So all, Seems like one of you was right long ago...

My bike is a 2005 Spring Softail Classic BUT, it as 04 heads!!!  -99 serial number on both.
Therefore the 555 woods cam is too much lift.  I was adjusting the pushrods and lifters correctly.

So now I will buy compatible conversion cams and ride the crap out of it.  And since I'm out of money...
Any other ideas other than Andrews 37N or woods t-w-6-6 R ??

Hossamania

I'm asking because I don't know, should the OP be concerned with having damaged the heads and or springs running the wrong cam for a while? Maybe money better spent on setting the heads up for the cams instead of changing cams and hoping the springs or other pieces are not damaged?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

IronMike113

Probably to be 100% sure,,,,,,, A pull down would be in Order, might be okay for now (MAYBE)
2 Bikes and 2 Beemers, that's what I have been told 😳

tenorhog

Quote from: Hossamania on February 03, 2019, 03:41:37 PM
I'm asking because I don't know, should the OP be concerned with having damaged the heads and or springs running the wrong cam for a while? Maybe money better spent on setting the heads up for the cams instead of changing cams and hoping the springs or other pieces are not damaged?

YES, Am planning on looking at the top end. Didn't run it for that long.
And Right, am thinking of doing new heads as an option. S&S, then I could keep everything I have already installed.
Thanks, BB