April 20, 2024, 08:20:57 AM

News:

1998 FXD Fuel Gauge Bulb Not Working

Started by Mikeg, September 25, 2018, 06:13:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikeg

I had an issue on my with the regulator on my 1998 Dyna FXD crapping out and blowing all the bulbs on my bike, headlight, tail light, all 4 turn signals, speedo light and the fuel gauge light. I replaced the regulator and all the bulb, all works great except the bulb in the fuel gauge. I replaced the bulb and it did not work but the fuel gauge works. There are only two wire going in to the fuel gauge so it seems to me that the wiring is intact. There is a circuit board in the bottom of the cup that the gauge sits in, this is where the light bulb is. Has anyone taken the circuit board out of the cup? It has a small zip tie securing the circuit board to the wires. I think the socket might be bad but I don't want to break the circuit board trying to remove it as this part is obsolete and my local dealer has not been able to source a new one.

The circuit board and bulb socket are in the cup at the top of part 13 in the diagram.

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/ronnies/showmodel.asp?Type=13&make=hdmc&a=283&b=49&c=0&d=1998%20FXD%20DYNA%AE%20SUPER%20GLIDE%20(GH)%20INSTRUMENT%20ASSEMBLY%20-%20FUEL%20TANK

Any ideas on how to fix this issue?

yankee dog

The circuit board comes off no problem when you remove the 3 nuts and star washers.

The bulb fits into a socket that is the type used on dash lights in cars. The size of the plastic socket escapes me but not hard to find at auto stores or online. The socket is the twist on, twist off type but you have to remove the circuit board to twist it on or off because it is removed/installed from the back side of the circuit board.

That socket has two metal contacts that contact a trace on the circuit board when in the proper position. Those metal contacts can lose tension and not make good contact on the circuit board trace, or the twist type socket got moved when you replaced the bulb and the contact is no longer hitting the "sweet spot" on the circuit board trace. Might want to try to twist or wiggle the socket a little but chances are the socket needs replacement.

Once you remove the circuit board it will all make sense and is an easy fix. They look like whats in the link below but double check the size...YD

https://autopartsfair.com/all-engine_parts/all-all-body_electrical-p4042_142273oes_1.html
94 FXDS, EVL3010, Cycle Shack slip ons, Wiseco 8.5:1, .035 squish, ultima ign.

Mikeg

Yankee Dog, thanks for the confirmation. I did take the nuts and star washers off the other day. I also clipped the zip tie but the circuit board was pretty firm in the cup... I will try pulling it out again. I do have another HD socket and 5 bulbs so I think I have all the parts I might need.

I'll follow up once I pull the gauge again.

Thanks,
Mike

yankee dog

Three nuts and washers, it might be a little "sticky" from some sealant they use on one of the three posts, it is part of the fuel float in the tank and they use a sealer on that one. Just don't bend up on it, try wiggling the circuit board to break the residue sealant. Pretty sure it's the top left one (when sitting on the bike) that has the sealant on it.

Also might have some rust in the bottom of that cup that holds the gauge. Water likes to sit in it. A little grease in the bottom of the cup will slow the rust down. YD
94 FXDS, EVL3010, Cycle Shack slip ons, Wiseco 8.5:1, .035 squish, ultima ign.

Mikeg

Just to close the loop on this issue. After reading Yankee Dog's advice, I took another look at the circuit board and the bulb socket. The socket was NOT in the sweet spot as Yankee Dog suggested. I used a pair of small needle nose pliers and rotated the socket back into  place, inserted a bulb and viola! Fuel gauge bulb works....Thank Yankee Dog for prompting me to think about the issue more....

Mike