April 19, 2024, 04:44:12 PM

News:

tyres

Started by david lee, October 04, 2018, 02:43:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david lee

ive just ordered new 255/45/15 tyres for my trike. the tyres fitted look brand new but are old,hard and cracked between the treads. as its a rigid rear a motorcycle mech said new ones will give you a much softer ride.i hope so at $725 au each tyre . any thoughts all. thank you

kd

M thoughts are if you want to gain some softer ride from a new set of tyres, you'll need a higher aspect ratio tire than a 45.  There won't be much sidewall to flex with those.
KD

david lee

wont tyre pressure play a part too. 15-20 psi thanks

kd

There's a lot of sidewall support in a 15" car tyre of that size.  I wouldn't be surprised if you could run it with no air to the corner garage for inflation (provided the bead stayed on). Your trike is a small fraction of the weight they are designed to carry.  I used to fun a 560/15 Volkswagon radial tyre on a 15" rear wheel / rigid frame and I would have it down to 10# to get flex. That was a much smaller tire used single on a motorcycle but you have 2 larger size for support.

The longer the sidewall the more of a flex plane you will have. The part of the sidewall near the tread and bead have a thicker under-tread at the top edge and bead support area at the inner edge which reduces the amount of real estate left to flex in a 45 series tyre.

This is just my opinion with no other experience with trike tyres. My 2 sidecar rigs use conventional 16" rims and rubber.
KD

david lee

a mate said its gotta be better than the flintstone tyres on it now. i rode it a couple of weeks ago and didnt even 1 tyre was flat thanks

speedzter

Quote from: david lee on October 04, 2018, 02:43:07 PM
ive just ordered new 255/45/15 tyres for my trike.  at $725 au each tyre . any thoughts all. thank you

Surely there must have been a cheaper option ??

david lee

could have got 225s for $190 ea but got talked out of it (not wide enough) or bought different rims then would have had to raise the guards for clearance.i dare say next time i wont be spending this sort of money. thanks

kd

Quote from: david lee on October 04, 2018, 05:14:06 PM
a mate said its gotta be better than the flintstone tyres on it now. i rode it a couple of weeks ago and didnt even 1 tyre was flat thanks

Well there you go.  Don't expect a big change with the new skins. Go to the store and pull out the tire and I'll bet you can stand on the casing in the upright position and it will support you. That's without the benefit of a rim.
KD

david lee

for the price any change is a bonus

hbkeith

that's like damn near $4oo us dollar per tire !!!! talk to another mech or mate

Scotty

October 05, 2018, 02:42:38 PM #10 Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 02:54:39 PM by Scotty
i$725 au each tyre

Wow I hope they used lube on you when they gave that price to you........
That is way over the top and I hate to say this but you are being gouged big time.
You can get Dunlop 255/60/15 which is a slightly larger profile fitted for $242 AU each.

david lee

Quote from: Scotty on October 05, 2018, 02:42:38 PM
i$725 au each tyre

That is way over the top and I hate to say this but you are being gouged big time.
You can get Dunlop 255/60/15 which is a slightly larger profile fitted for $242 AU each.
where from ? i wont be paying that sort of money again. a 60 profile would mean modifying the guard brackets for clearance, or i go 225/45/15 for $190 each. . thanks

FSG

Quotea mate said its gotta be better than the flintstone tyres on it now

very true

I had a Road Legal VW Buggy back in the early 70's, big fat tyres on the back, I don't remember the size but there wasn't much sidewall on them so the pressure was low, low, low, don't remember but it wasn't much.

On your hardtail trike a 255/45R15 Tyre will need to normally have very low air pressure so as to get any wall flexing for starters.

I'd be going to a 14" Rim which would allow for example a "265/50R14" to be fitted.

Width is just under a 1/2" wider,

Tyre Diameter is just under a 1/2" taller so it's under 1/4" closer to the guard

BUT

Sidewall Height increases by 0.7" , providing more flex which be easier on the posterior AND better on tyre life

AND

can be had for under $200

Take a look at the Tyres available for the Pro Street Rods don't get locked into one brand.

I had similar problems albeit with my wifes BSpec Subaru Liberty, Brand specific Tyres developed specifically for the 18" Rims on it.  They were near on $600, I settled on some Falkens that were only a few mm different but less than half the price.

BTW: What Stud Pattern // PCD are those back wheels on the trike?

david lee

Quote from: FSG on October 05, 2018, 04:29:06 PM

very true

I had a Road Legal VW Buggy back in the early 70's, big fat tyres on the back, I don't remember the size but there wasn't much sidewall on them so the pressure was low, low, low, don't remember but it wasn't much.

On your hardtail trike a 255/45R15 Tyre will need to normally have very low air pressure so as to get any wall flexing for starters.

I'd be going to a 14" Rim which would allow for example a "265/50R14" to be fitted.

Tyre Diameter is just under a 1/2" taller so it's under 1/4" closer to the guard

BUT

Sidewall Height increases by 0.7" , providing more flex which be easier on the posterior AND better on tyre life

AND

Take a look at the Tyres available for the Pro Street Rods don't get locked into one brand.

I had similar problems albeit with my wifes BSpec Subaru Liberty, Brand specific Tyres developed specifically for the 18" Rims on it.  They were near on $600, I settled on some Falkens that were only a few mm different but less than half the price.ive been running 15 psi and there early ford pattern.14" rims make sense and saves money and no guard mods.to me id like a style similar to whats on it now but seem hard to find. thanks

david lee

Quote from: david lee on October 05, 2018, 06:34:44 PM
Quote from: FSG on October 05, 2018, 04:29:06 PM

very true

BUT

AND

I had similar problems albeit with my wifes BSpec Subaru Liberty, Brand specific Tyres developed specifically for the 18" Rims on it.  They were near on $600, I settled on some Falkens that were only a few mm different but less than half the price.

david lee

there early ford pattern.14" rims make sense in a similar style but availability seems to be a problem in australia. im running 15 psi pressure.thanks fsg

FSG

Quotethere early ford pattern 14"

:up:   PCD 5/114.3

I put 15" Maglites then 16" Mags from the early Fords on my Hilux Road Rocket

I've only recently given away a full set of rims. 

Perhaps look for some Hilux 2WD Rims

Scotty

October 06, 2018, 01:32:49 AM #17 Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 01:46:07 AM by Scotty
Quote from: david lee on October 05, 2018, 03:14:15 PM
Quote from: Scotty on October 05, 2018, 02:42:38 PM
i$725 au each tyre

where from ? i wont be paying that sort of money again. a 60 profile would mean modifying the guard brackets for clearance, or i go 225/45/15 for $190 each. . thanks

I just got that price from a tyre catalouge out my letterbox. If I ring my mate at Tyrepower I guarantee I could get your exact size for under $300 a tyre.
FSG has also given you some good options and way cheaper buying a couple of new rims and new tyres and you will still come out in front.
$725 a tyre .................WOW and you said yes even bigger WOW

Here is a listing on Ebay for a 5 stud mag wheel 14" $135 each delivered + 2 tyres $450 fitted and away you go............. $720 which is $5 cheaper than one tyre
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/14X5-5-Bullet-Alloy-Mag-Wheel-suit-Ford-Caravan-Trailer-Boat-Jetski-Trailer/191918004252?hash=item2caf34581c:g:CvQAAOSw-KFXgFC2

david lee

there are options.i wont be spending this type of money on tyres again.next time you see your mate at tyrepower mention 255/45/15 michelin tyres and hear what he says.rare in aus but everywhere in the usa or uk.thanks

Scotty

October 06, 2018, 04:01:18 PM #19 Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 04:07:45 PM by Scotty
Quote from: david lee on October 06, 2018, 03:21:17 AM
there are options.i wont be spending this type of money on tyres again.next time you see your mate at tyrepower mention 255/45/15 michelin tyres and hear what he says.rare in aus but everywhere in the usa or uk.thanks

I will ask him and if that is the case then really good time to get rid of those wheels and get standard size tyres that you can buy anywhere.
Good luck I have read a number of your posts on that trike and seems like a money pit which is not good.

BTW I had these guys make me a couple of chrome wheels for a car in a special size and the price was not that bad compared to buying off the shelf.
http://www.adelaidewheels.com.au/wheel-repairs.html

david lee

this is a one off purchase.thanks