April 24, 2024, 08:35:49 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

91 FXR Build - need some suggestions

Started by oldskewl, October 12, 2018, 12:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldskewl

October 12, 2018, 12:44:37 PM Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 02:35:39 PM by FSG
This is my first EVO in 23 years so please bare with me. I'm looking for a semi budget 100/100 build using these stock cases. The bike has 65k on the OD, I'm not sure if it's ever had work done to it or not. The previous owner claims work by previous owner but you know how that goes. I rode it home, seems like a stock 58-60hp bike to me.

I know the 91 EVO cases are prone to cracking, especially if you plan to stroke it but I don't think I need to given the HP/TQ numbers I'm looking to achieve. I don't want to spend more than $12k -15K on the build (including paint). My last project was a farme up 76 shovel and I went overboard and spent close to $20k and I painted it myself.
Should I junk these cases are stay with them? I might go 88" I just don't know. I have a road sofa for touring so I want a fast bar hopper capable of pulling the wheel off the ground with a hit of the throttle.

What would you do given the miles on the OD? I'm a fair wrench but I don't own any machining equipment.
I paid $3200

https://www.flickr.com/photos/142941725@N02/30336759137/in/dateposted-public/

hbkeith

Nice ride , I am doing same thing with a 92FXRS , I went with a low milage 113 to get the power I want ONLY cause it fit my budget, will restore /mod my stock engine on the stand and save , The Pro builders that know will be along soon im sure . keep us posted on what you do ,  :up:

tmwmoose

I was in the same boat and being a authorized dealer at the time helped also but buying a Ultima motor was the logical choice for me

Breeze

I say you are smellin' good after that purchase. I also see that a Carlini Torque arm has been installed, so the probability of having some engine mods is high.
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

oldskewl

The bike sat for 3 years in a tow yard, I paid the fees and took possession.  Trying to get it snuff just to get it registered which takes a CHP light test. Previous owner ripped out the rear tail lights and wiring.  I'm thinking of getting a license plate turn signal combo and wiring it in, getting the DMV wrapped up and then ripping into it.

oldskewl

Can't find the stock stud mounts for the rear turn signals for this year bike. I need some sort of application that passes the smell test DOT.
Anyone have a suggestion?

JW113

With good tuning and money you can certainly hit 100P with stock 80 cubes, but it's sure easier to do with more cubes and likely less money.

I can't imagine you not being tickled with a drop in Ultima 113 crate motor. And for the money, sure seems like a very attractive option.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

hbkeith

October 14, 2018, 04:30:59 AM #7 Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 04:48:17 AM by hbkeith
Quote from: oldskewl on October 13, 2018, 09:40:50 AM
Can't find the stock stud mounts for the rear turn signals for this year bike. I need some sort of application that passes the smell test DOT.
Anyone have a suggestion?
gona run bags ? DS-280318  , elvisplace.com , V-twin 31-9979 , ebay # 192688897482 , also a Sportster oem rear stud is same as FXR

oldskewl

Keith, no bags for this build. 
Thank you for the part numbers. I ordered something up.  :SM:

hbkeith

oldskewl

Picked up some stock dual disc mags for 300 bucks this weekend. Did a little tinkering, removed those old saddle bag mounts and discovered the rear shock was a little loose so I grabbed a wrench and the nut fell off in my hand  :wtf:
Went to remove the cover over the wiring harness and the bolts were held together by rust, they were a tad over hand tight.  I was hoping to get to ride it a few miles before ripping into it but that's not going to happen.

I'll post some pictures of the cam chest just to see if any work has been done before or if that Carlini torque arm is for looks.

turboprop

Quote from: oldskewl on October 15, 2018, 12:06:07 PM
Picked up some stock dual disc mags for 300 bucks this weekend. Did a little tinkering, removed those old saddle bag mounts and discovered the rear shock was a little loose so I grabbed a wrench and the nut fell off in my hand  :wtf:
Went to remove the cover over the wiring harness and the bolts were held together by rust, they were a tad over hand tight.  I was hoping to get to ride it a few miles before ripping into it but that's not going to happen.

I'll post some pictures of the cam chest just to see if any work has been done before or if that Carlini torque arm is for looks.

That torque arm is a gimmick at best.

Regardless of miles, with the age of this bike, and its 'Condition' I would think that every piece of rubber in the bike must be replaced. That includes inside the rocker boxes, all the little well nuts, every single piece. Every bearing should be inspected and most likely replaced. The pivot stuff for the swingarm should be replaced. Have fun getting the pivot shaft out of the trans case. The oil tank should be removed and completely flushed. Dont believe me, take a screw driver and scrape around inside the bottom of that tank. This should keep you busy for a while.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

oldskewl

Turboprop. I was hoping you would chime in. You and others in this forum have all the knowledge I respect the hell out of you guys. Love your builds too!
I'm on the same page as you. This bike needs to get ripped apart completely and everything needs a rebuild, cleaning or replacement.   Take a look at this swing arm. I've never seen anything like it and I don't know what brand it is.
if I don't have to work this weekend I'll post some pics of the guts when I open it up.
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1967/45298544092_119de6528d_h.jpg

tmwmoose

Nice swingarm believe that might be a Chopper Guys item

turboprop

Quote from: oldskewl on October 15, 2018, 03:39:13 PM
Turboprop. I was hoping you would chime in. You and others in this forum have all the knowledge I respect the hell out of you guys. Love your builds too!
I'm on the same page as you. This bike needs to get ripped apart completely and everything needs a rebuild, cleaning or replacement.   Take a look at this swing arm. I've never seen anything like it and I don't know what brand it is.
if I don't have to work this weekend I'll post some pics of the guts when I open it up.
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1967/45298544092_119de6528d_h.jpg

Thank you for the kind words. I am always trying to do better. I too think that is a Chopper Guys arm. Really nice piece.

FWIW - My friend Joe Biesel at Deviant Fabrications has recently started offering aluminum swingarms for FXRs. They look really nice and have concentric axle adjusters as well as shock mounts with multiple positions and options for pivot shaft and axle size. I ordered one with a 1" axle, ¾" pivot shaft and the mount for the '08 and up caliper. He is offering the first dozen at the introductory price of $590, which is ridiculously low.

This is going to replace the '02-'07 bagger arm on my red FXR. That bagger arm was cheap, and a great upgrade form the FXR arm but it weighs a ton. This year the read bike is going on a serious weight reduction plan. After this arm, the wheels are getting replaced with some CF BST wheels, the steel handle bars are getting replaced with aluminum ProTapers, etc.

https://www.deviantfabrications.com/products/fxr-swingarm

turboprop

Quote from: oldskewl on October 19, 2018, 09:29:14 AM
I looked up the chopper guys swing arm and you were right, it is the same swing arm. Nice to know I have something of quality on the bike. I bought a service manual off ebay for $35 and it's clean. Looks like the only pages with a little dirt were for changing a tire!
This is going to be long and expensive build so maybe next year I'll have some eye candy to show off but for now, I'll just tear it down and start there.

OS

Do you already have a set of flywheels?

oldskewl

Turboprop, no flywheels or anything. I'm about to install the turn signals this weekend so I can register it at DMV.
A slight setback for the bike, had to put it on the back burner for a couple weeks. Wife needed a new car and I had to make some room in the garage. I might disassmble and move it to the dining room instead of the garage.

Hillside Motorcycle

100hp 80" Evo engines can be established, but I'd be not using a 1991 OE HD case to do it.
Stroking the engine, or even boring to the spigot clearance diameter of a 3 13/16" cylinder is not the culprit, buy rather the increased pull on the cylinder studs, once you start to manufacture good power, ie ccp.
The breakage will begin with what you'd suspect as a pesky leak from the rear tappet block, but it will be the 90* machined corner behind it, then migrating to the right front, rear cylinder base stud.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

oldskewl

Scott, I completely agree with you. I talked to Hillside cycles and they said the exact same thing which is why I need a set of SnS or Delkron cases. Since the OEM cases aren't worthy of putting money into them, I think I'm going to run a stroker and get the best bang for my buck. Not looking for a 150hp but should get decent numbers out of a 96" stroker.   

hbkeith

Quote from: oldskewl on October 24, 2018, 01:26:34 PM
Scott, I completely agree with you. I talked to Hillside cycles and they said the exact same thing which is why I need a set of SnS or Delkron cases. Since the OEM cases aren't worthy of putting money into them, I think I'm going to run a stroker and get the best bang for my buck. Not looking for a 150hp but should get decent numbers out of a 96" stroker.
If you talked to Hillside , it probally was Scott you spoke to

oldskewl

turboprop, your message box is full. can you send me a PM please.
Thank you.

turboprop

Quote from: oldskewl on October 29, 2018, 10:26:29 AM
turboprop, your message box is full. can you send me a PM please.
Thank you.

Try it now.

oldskewl

Not working.

Once we talk we can exchange numbers to make it easier.

Rick

Shoreglide

FWIW - My friend Joe Biesel at Deviant Fabrications has recently started offering aluminum swingarms for FXRs. They look really nice and have concentric axle adjusters as well as shock mounts with multiple positions and options for pivot shaft and axle size. I ordered one with a 1" axle, ¾" pivot shaft and the mount for the '08 and up caliper. He is offering the first dozen at the introductory price of $590, which is ridiculously low.

[/quote]

Ed,
That is a great looking swing arm, and awesome price. I just ordered one with same  specs as yours. Thanks for the heads up! The pieces are starting to come together for my own FXR build.

turboprop

Quote from: Shoreglide on November 09, 2018, 08:34:56 AM

Ed,
That is a great looking swing arm, and awesome price. I just ordered one with same  specs as yours. Thanks for the heads up! The pieces are starting to come together for my own FXR build.
[/quote]

Thats awesome. Looking forward to some pics of your For when it's finished.