April 25, 2024, 10:10:37 AM

News:

Evo stroker engines???

Started by Reddog74usa, October 16, 2018, 03:55:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reddog74usa

I had a 113 Ultima in an FXR and really liked it however having to reach my leg around the right side of the engine got to be a pain. What's the biggest Evo stroker engine that isn't extended on the right side? as I would like to hop up this bike but don't want to be dealing with the issues of the engine protruding so far out to the right. I really liked the smoothness of the Ultima 113 and am hoping to find a smaller stroker that's just as smooth. TIA, RD
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

JW113

Naive question, but assuming aftermarket cases, yes?

Regarded extended on the right side, that's for the bore and wider spaced cyl studs, not the stroke, isn't it?

I had a 89" stroker, wasn't exactly what I'd call smooth, but was not in an FXR either.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Reddog74usa

I had an 89 incher in an FXR and it was very smooth,ran great also. Probably aftermarket cases will be on the engine.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Hillside Motorcycle

96", 106", and 108" engines can be built from the OEM engine cases.
114" also, but better served to use a 356-T6 case.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Deye76

S&S still offers a 96" crate motor. In 09' they changed the heads and went with flat tops pistons a/c the earlier domed piston versions were prone to detonation. Should be a runner in a light FXR.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

JW113

Yes, my 89" ran great too, but in a rigid mount sloptial frame, not exactly "smooth", especially when ya put the spurs to it. When I was building that engine, the local shop guy suggested to not bore the case spiggot and go to 96", as cracking from the spiggot to tappet block was common on that vintage of cases. Better to use after market cases. Me, being the poor boy, felt that the horsepower per dollar benefit of 7 more cubes just didn't make sense. So 89" it was.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

prodrag1320

Quote from: Reddog74usa on October 16, 2018, 03:55:41 PM
I had a 113 Ultima in an FXR and really liked it however having to reach my leg around the right side of the engine got to be a pain. What's the biggest Evo stroker engine that isn't extended on the right side? as I would like to hop up this bike but don't want to be dealing with the issues of the engine protruding so far out to the right. I really liked the smoothness of the Ultima 113 and am hoping to find a smaller stroker that's just as smooth. TIA, RD

how is a ultima engine wider to the point of being a PITA? maybe 1" wider for a 4.250" motor

Deye76

"how is a ultima engine wider to the point of being a PITA?"

I was wondering that also. I have a 113" Ultima in a FXR and don't feel any difference in mounting/dismounting or foot/leg position.

Reddog74usa

Thanks for the replies so far. It's been about 6 or 7 years since I had the 113 in an FXR so my memory could be on the foggy side but I do remember having to stretch a bit to reach the highway peg on the right side. I may have to reconsider as I really liked that Ultima 113. Ran great and even on a hot day never went over 200 and usually stayed around 180, didn't use oil and got 43 MPG's with great around town street manners. I guess having a 30 inch inseam isn't helping either   :crook:
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

xlfan

Some carb/aircleaner setups are worse than others, regarding the stretch around situation.

Hillside Motorcycle

1992, 93, and 94 cases were under suspect to fracture on the 90* machined corner behind the rear tappet block, abeit bored/stroked/or even in OEM application.
Late model HD Evo cases are absolutely fine.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Reddog74usa

The bike is an 87 FXLR, I'm pretty sure those cases were ok. The carb set up on my 113 was an S&S shorty so it didn't hang out there like others I've seen.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Snowyone

MY Evo was in an EG with it's isolated engine.  I just talked about in another post but will fondly recall it again.  84 FLHTC that I bought as a wreck and fixed up.  After getting all the wrecked parts sorted out knew I needed more power and went with a 4 5/8" stroker with stock bore cylinders from Axtell made from ductile iron.  Had the heads done by Hemi Design(don't think they are in business anymore) and their pistons.  USed a woods cam and one of his CV modified carbs.  Was just a killer combo.  Often wish it was still in my shed but is still spanking the guys with the newer dressers with it's 450 lb rider nowadays.  Miss the simplicity thing and being able to adjust for whatever gas and conditions present.

turboprop

Quote from: Reddog74usa on October 16, 2018, 03:55:41 PM

Kind of mixing things up. The need to go to a longer pinion shaft really has nothing to do with the stroke. Its the bore that dictates a longer pinion shaft. 3-13/16" is the largest bore that can be done on a oem style case with the oem length pinion shaft.

To bring stroke into the equation, 4-⅝" stroke with 3-13/16" bore makes 106" and is pretty common. I have built many engines with these dimensions. Smoothness depends on the total build. Use some heavy Truett & Osborne Torque Monster wheels, mild compression and they can be very smooth. But in an FXR is doesnt really matter as the rubber mounts take care of the vibrations. But back the question at hand, largest stroker with a stock length pinion. 4-¾" x 3-13/16" was done but was somewhat rare. Short piston/cylinder life due tot he faster piston speeds. Have even seen a few 5" stroke engines as well, but they were strictly for the race track. The 106" with 4-⅝" x 3-13/16" is probably the best stroker/big bore setup that can be done in a stock style engine case (This includes all Delkron, S&S, Ultima, etc that use the oem 3-½" eve cylinder stud pattern).

For what its worth, the Taj-Mah-Motor that was in my red/white FXR was a 106", regular S&S wheels with Jims rods, 11:1 compression, RedShift 647 cam. Motor ran like a clock, no real engine noise, ultra reliable. Rode it cross country and back, twice and up and down the east coast. No issues, very smooth. The only issues wit building one of these is cylinders and pistons. Very few off the shelf options. Pistons are somewhat easy, but the cylinders, well, unless you want nikasil revperformance stuff, you will be calling Axtell and getting some ductile cylinders.

I have a bunch of 4-⅝" and 3-13/16" stuff that I am not going to use. PM me if you are interested.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Reddog74usa

Thanks for the offer and info but I'm not looking to get into specialty cylinders and pistons at this stage. Just something that runs good without getting into that kind of build.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

turboprop

Quote from: Reddog74usa on November 06, 2018, 02:49:01 PM
Thanks for the offer and info but I'm not looking to get into specialty cylinders and pistons at this stage. Just something that runs good without getting into that kind of build.

Not really specialty. The 3-13/16" bore stuff is pretty common stuff in the sportster community. Pistons for a standard stroke sportster have the same deck height as big twin 4-⅝" engines. The cylinders are are readily available form a number of companies.

anyways, back to the questioning your original post. The largest bore with an oem length pinion shaft is 3-13/16". Strokes up to 5" can be done inside an eco style case with an oem length piñon shaft. Truett and Osborn will make wheels in any length stroke you want.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

farmall

If you have to hook a leg to reach forward controls, consider spacing the right side outboard so your leg is more comfortable and "clocking" the control position to suit your preferences. If you run black (or aluminum) forward controls you can drill, slice and dice to suit without chipping chrome. Peg and shift lever knobs can be extended. It's only metal and metal is cheap. Put 'em where you like 'em.

Reddog74usa

Thanks for the replies but I think I'm just gonna go with an EV-27 with some headwork as I am going to be using it for ridin the canyons out here in western Colorado.  :bike:
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Deye76

IMHO, nothing more fun than a FXR in a canyon.  :chop: