April 19, 2024, 12:27:44 PM

News:

Needa Fat tire Softail guru!

Started by Burnout, November 02, 2018, 09:50:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burnout

November 02, 2018, 09:50:51 AM Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 10:50:38 AM by Burnout
I have been tasked with getting the belt to run true on a APC softie.

I have come to the conclusion that the swing arm does not pass QC.

The axle slots are not square to the motor and one side is ~1/4" lower than the other.

I can deal with the slots not being square by canting the axle to square the wheel to the motor,
but the tilting of the axle causes the belt to run off one end or the other.

Anyone know what kind of chassis APC used?
They are long gone and I'm not sure where to start.

I'm looking to replace the swing arm.
It's got a 240 tire and a wide belt (left side) as well.
I have no idea what to look for.....
It has a long stroke S&S motor with a 1.25" primary/trans offset.
The frame VIN starts with 1A9SSWDB05N and is on a machined inset panel on the side of the neck.
It is a well done high end build, high dollar parts, fit and finish (except for the swing arm), not a bike ina box cheapass internet build.
I was surprised to find a Genuine HD complete primary, covers, clutch, and all.

Hoping to find someone who was involved in the fat tire craze or even maybe worked for APC, for some insight.
At the least who APC was and where they were located, I may be able to find someone that way.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Hybredhog

Kind of comes down to how fat your customer's wallet is, If its skinny, I'd walk, to many headaches on that road. if money is good, have the swingarm rebuilt & or straightened, probably the easiest way out anyways. If the Money is really good, cough for a new frame & a right hand tranny. Its pretty sad on how many POS's are out there on these chopper dream bikes, including name brand Chit. Doing it right the first time takes time, and most don't. I personally only have 2 customers I'll even work on their clone choppers, as they're in love with the damn things, and they have a wallet to back it up.
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

Burnout

Far as I can tell the money is there.

American Performance Cycles is the brand

I spoke with Chopper Guys (Vallejo) and they will be happy to build a swing arm to fit it for $700

Hybredhog

All considered, $700 isn't bad for what's involved. I'd send them the F**Ked up one to get the pivot/ bearing area the same for mating, and mention anything else that's good and in the right place (i.e. brake bracket, ect...), and let them do the rest. You'' probably need a new/ different axel (and make new spacers), but everything takes a back seat to belt alignment during mocking up. you can always go chain if room gets tight for a 240.
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

Burnout

Anyone recognize the VIN prefix?  1A9SSWDB05N

FSG

Frame was probably made by : ADVANCED FABRICATION  , in 2005

Burnout

Nailed the year!

Are they still around?