April 24, 2024, 06:42:53 AM

News:

oil temp fitting for oil pan ?

Started by 86fxwg, March 20, 2019, 03:43:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

86fxwg

Working on a 2004 FLHT police bike, someone put the oil temp sensor in the return hose. I need to remove the hex plug next to the drain plug & install the sensor in its place.
Anyone know the fitting size's I need to install the sensor? Sensor is factory Harley. Ive installed these before but all fittings came in the Harley kit.

Thanks 86
86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

r0de_runr

Teach your son to ride, shoot and always speak the truth.

86fxwg

86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

Boe Cole

Make sure you use the thread sealant - leaks otherwise....  Don't ask me how I know :emsad:
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Norton Commando

This topic inspired me to install an oil temperature gauge on my 2012 FLHTK.

So in terms of temperature, what does 'bad' look like? Is it 275F or...?

Best,

Jason   
Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.

86fxwg

March 20, 2019, 05:50:46 PM #5 Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 05:55:03 PM by 86fxwg
Quote from: Norton Commando on March 20, 2019, 04:46:19 PM
This topic inspired me to install an oil temperature gauge on my 2012 FLHTK.

So in terms of temperature, what does 'bad' look like? Is it 275F or...?

Best,

Jason

No idea what temp is good or bad. My guess running is 150/175   :nix: Il let u know after the dyno tune what it ran making pulls. That's were its headed next.

Its a customers bike ,he just wanted it fixed rite. Last shop had it in the return line.

Quote from: Boe Cole on March 20, 2019, 01:37:22 PM
Make sure you use the thread sealant - leaks otherwise....  Don't ask me how I know :emsad:

that's a given!  :wink:

86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

klammer76

I have an auto meter digital in my 2002 FLH inner fairing. Sensor in the oil pan. Bike is a 103. I run around 200 in the upstate NY summer with the cooler on. Climbs to 215 if running spirited on the interstate. Has gotten up to 235-240 running through Custer park in 4th gear behind traffic. At that point I pull off and cool down.

rigidthumper

Engine oil needs to approach 100C ( boiling point) so any accumulated water vapor leaves the oil.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Norton Commando

Quote from: rigidthumper on March 21, 2019, 08:48:37 AM
Engine oil needs to approach 100C ( boiling point) so any accumulated water vapor leaves the oil.
Indeed, we know that the low end for oil performance is 100C/212F but the high end is in question. I suspect that a full-synthetic oil can safely handle temps up to about 260F. But I don't have any data to support this supposition.
Jason
Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.

chopper

Quote from: rigidthumper on March 21, 2019, 08:48:37 AM

Not so. Moisture will come out nicely at even 150 degrees. It may take a but longer, but it certainly doesn't "need" to reach the boiling point.

Consider... your car or truck. Thermostatically controlled to usually less than 212. The oil pans sits down low where temps are a LOT cooler. In the winter, you can lay your hand on the oil pan...  yet, no condensation..
Got a case of dynamite, I could hold out here all night

kd

Water will evaporate off a sidewalk for example at any point above freezing.  If warmer then quicker.
KD

FTBY55

I read the link supplied for the temperature sensor installation. It says to test run and watch unit come up to 230 deg. F, operating temperature.

7.Start the engine. With the engine running, the oil temperature should rise as the engine warms up to 230°F, 110°C at operating temperature.

rigidthumper

Quote from: kd on March 21, 2019, 02:48:14 PM
Water will evaporate off a sidewalk for example at any point above freezing.  If warmer then quicker.
Maybe comparing apples and grenades- Sidewalk and other areas that have large surface area & exposure to sunlight will evaporate quickly.  Surface air tends to wick moisture away, in an effort to achieve balance. More surface area you have, less temp you need.
Very little surface area in an oil tank, so more temp is needed to remove the condensation.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

kd

Quote from: rigidthumper on March 24, 2019, 06:07:03 AM
Quote from: kd on March 21, 2019, 02:48:14 PM
Maybe comparing apples and grenades- Sidewalk and other areas that have large surface area & exposure to sunlight will evaporate quickly.  Surface air tends to wick moisture away, in an effort to achieve balance. More surface area you have, less temp you need.
Very little surface area in an oil tank, so more temp is needed to remove the condensation.

Not more temp ......  more time.   :wink:
KD