March 29, 2024, 03:58:37 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Venting fix?

Started by cmashark, February 26, 2019, 06:14:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmashark

2021 FLHXSE

Heinz

Quote from: cmashark on March 27, 2019, 10:57:53 PM
And the vent

What prevents water from going into the oil tank?

hd06

No Cents,  What is the temp difference between the trans and oil reserve.   Thanks

No Cents

on my bike with the 124" T/C I will see my oil temps between 200- 210...depending on outside temps. My tranny gauge will read right around 200.
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

BVHOG

And the vent
Whether it works or not is irrelevant to how horrible this thing looks on a bike, they could at least anodize them black.  No way I could install that for a customer and feel good about it.
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

cmashark

It's a cheap experiment. I don't think it looks too bad. I do spend more time looking across the windshield than I do staring at the side of bike though.
2021 FLHXSE

cmashark

Quote from: Heinz on March 28, 2019, 02:57:48 AM
And the vent

What prevents water from going into the oil tank?

Just the filter on the end of it.
2021 FLHXSE

No Cents

I'm not too familiar with the dip stick set up you have pictured.
Just curious...do you have to remove the hose from the cap to be able to pull the dip stick out to check the oil level? 

cmashark

Quote from: No Cents on March 28, 2019, 12:03:57 PM
    I'm not too familiar with the dip stick set up you have pictured.
Just curious...do you have to remove the hose from the cap to be able to pull the dip stick out to check the oil level?

Yes.  Pull the hose off (about 2 lbs of force), unscrew the cap, use dipstick, then reverse it when you're done.

Not a huge deal to me.  I average 200-500 miles in a week, so I only check the oil once or twice a week and it's usually a cold check before I leave.  I change my own oil, I know what I service it to, and will do 1 hot check after the oil change.

This setup is the cheapest and least invasive.  I wanted to see how it works before I spend $250 for Feuling's set up or drill a hole in the transmission housing.
2021 FLHXSE

Vision

I have to agree with cmashark,  going with the A1 was a no brainer.  Very simple design and super simple to install.   No big deal to grab the dipstick out the saddlebag.  It doe not take away from the aesthetics at all; especially if you have a mid frame deflector installed.   I will paint it with some high heat gloss paint and that’s about it.  You can barely see the vent sitting on top of the throttle body. 

hd06

I would watch for oil mist in your side cover, it will breath.

Vision

After installing the M3 Ventillator today,  I went for a spirited post breakout run on my 2018 124 SE/Rev Perf build RG.  I can say this.  It definitely vents.  LOL. I must have had some some condensation built up in my oil tank because when I got back to my garage, I definitely had some streaking on my exhaust shields. It wasn't bad, but annoying none the less because I specifically have a external breather kit hooked up to stop blow by.  What I'm hoping is that when it gets warmer, there won't be as much condensation.

cmashark

Quote from: hd06 on March 29, 2019, 02:54:28 PM
I would watch for oil mist in your side cover, it will breath.

I plan on checking after the first 300 miles.  If it looks ok, I'll put it on my wash schedule.  Unless I'm on a trip, I rarely go much more than 1K between washes.  I always wash my bikes on the jack with the bags off so I can give the bike a good inspection.  That'll make easy to check it.
2021 FLHXSE

Vision

Went out riding today and was able to get a better look at what was going on.  The ventilator was actually spewing oil.  So much until I needed to remove it.   I  checked my oil and added  just shy of 1/2 quart of oil when I got home this evening.   Oil was actually pooling at different point on the bike and I could not see it until in full daylight today.     I will just stick with the external engine breather kit that I have.  Was hoping that this was going to be a good thing for my bike.  There is no way I would route the hose anywhere near my rear wheel after seeing how much oil got out.   Would love to hear what other people are experiencing.

Just a little background on my bike for comparison

Bike was picked up from the dealership last year (3/18)as an HD stage 4.  It sumped in November and I had it rebuilt with the following:   

SE Heads
Revolution Performance 124 Cylinders
Feuling Race Pump and Cam plate
Wood WM8-408 cam
External Engine breather 

No Cents

when you say "external engine breather"...exactly what are you talking about?
Are you venting the heads to the ground...or a catch can? When you say the ventilator (I'm assuming your talking about your air cleaner)...it shouldn't have oil spewing out of it.

1workinman

Quote from: Vision on March 30, 2019, 05:27:12 PM
Went out riding today and was able to get a better look at what was going on.  The ventilator was actually spewing oil.  So much until I needed to remove it.   I  checked my oil and added  just shy of 1/2 quart of oil when I got home this evening.   Oil was actually pooling at different point on the bike and I could not see it until in full daylight today.     I will just stick with the external engine breather kit that I have.  Was hoping that this was going to be a good thing for my bike.  There is no way I would route the hose anywhere near my rear wheel after seeing how much oil got out.   Would love to hear what other people are experiencing.

Bike was picked up from the dealership last year (3/18)as an HD stage 4.  It sumped in November and I had it rebuilt with the following:   

SE Heads
Wood WM8-408 cam
External Engine breather
not Not a expert on Harleys except spending money , have you tried running the bike a little low on the stick. I run my oil level about 4 or five dots off full hot .

cmashark

SE Heads
Wood WM8-408 cam
External Engine breather

16'ish ounces is a lot of oil to lose. That's a lot of foaming or atomization to remove that much oil so far away from any moving parts. Interesting, for sure.
2021 FLHXSE

Vision

Quote from: No Cents on March 30, 2019, 05:54:23 PM
   when you say "external engine breather"...exactly what are you talking about?
Are you venting the heads to the ground...or a catch can? When you say the ventilator (I'm assuming your talking about your air cleaner)...it shouldn't have oil spewing out of it.

Yes,  venting heads to a catch can.  The Ventilator is the  unit we're discussing in this thread by A1 Cycles.

Vision

Quote from: 1workinman on March 30, 2019, 06:58:46 PM

SE Heads
Wood WM8-408 cam
External Engine breather
not Not a expert on Harleys except spending money , have you tried running the bike a little low on the stick. I run my oil level about 4 or five dots off full hot .

I typically put less than what's required,  but this engine build is still under 1000 miles so trying to play it safe for first 1000.  The. Less for sure. 

Vision

Quote from: cmashark on March 30, 2019, 07:01:12 PM

SE Heads
Wood WM8-408 cam
External Engine breather

16'ish ounces is a lot of oil to lose. That's a lot of foaming or atomization to remove that much oil so far away from any moving parts. Interesting, for sure.

In actuality,  it may have been a little less.  I had a open quart of Amsoil 20/50 in my garage.  It was probably a little less than half. I had to take another look at the bottle.  It just really shocked me that I had lost that much oil. 

wfolarry

Usually when you lose that much oil it's from over filling the tank. You might have had that much in the crankcase when you topped off the oil tank. When the bike's running it's pushing it into the oil tank. With no place to go it pushes it right out the breather. I would try running it a quart low. If it still does it you've got a problem.

Vision

Quote from: wfolarry on March 31, 2019, 06:02:40 AM
Usually when you lose that much oil it's from over filling the tank. You might have had that much in the crankcase when you topped off the oil tank. When the bike's running it's pushing it into the oil tank. With no place to go it pushes it right out the breather. I would try running it a quart low. If it still does it you've got a problem.

Thank you, Brother!  Someone else recommended the same.  I will more than likely try it again once I have a few more miles on my new cylinders and will definitely report back. 

cmashark

I just took mine apart to look at it.  I've only logged 50 miles on it and found no evidence of oil making it to the filter part.  I cut the hose down to about 10 inches so I could put the filter by the ABS module.

As for oil.  This is my 6th M8.  On the touring bikes, when I change the oil, they religiously take 4 qts and 4-8 ozs to set them at 3 dots down on a full hot check.  My bikes never idle on the side stand and are idled for 30'ish seconds, standing up, at the end of every ride. (I started doing this after my first M8 sumped). I measure the fluids that come out of my bike when servicing and what goes in...  I'm an aircraft mechanic that has always had to do trend analysis.  I also use redline to help identify all of my fluids easier. Not to mention, at 42 my eyes have trouble seeing what's on the trans dipstick. Lol
2021 FLHXSE

1workinman

Quote from: cmashark on March 31, 2019, 09:56:39 AM
I just took mine apart to look at it.  I've only logged 50 miles on it and found no evidence of oil making it to the filter part.  I cut the hose down to about 10 inches so I could put the filter by the ABS module.

As for oil.  This is my 6th M8.  On the touring bikes, when I change the oil, they religiously take 4 qts and 4-8 ozs to set them at 3 dots down on a full hot check.  My bikes never idle on the side stand and are idled for 30'ish seconds, standing up, at the end of every ride. (I started doing this after my first M8 sumped). I measure the fluids that come out of my bike when servicing and what goes in...  I'm an aircraft mechanic that has always had to do trend analysis.  I also use redline to help identify all of my fluids easier. Not to mention, at 42 my eyes have trouble seeing what's on the trans dipstick. Lol
6 m8 wow my hat goes off to you that a lot of bikes . is there a problem letting the bike idle on the stand mine only 2 are twin cams and I let them idle a bit to warm up . My late brother was a air craft mechanic , for Emery, Delta, and finally a air craft inspector for a corp jet co . He as like that also

cmashark

Quote from: 1workinman on March 31, 2019, 10:32:49 AM
Quote from: cmashark on March 31, 2019, 09:56:39 AM

6 m8 wow my hat goes off to you that a lot of bikes . is there a problem letting the bike idle on the stand mine only 2 are twin cams and I let them idle a bit to warm up . My late brother was a air craft mechanic , for Emery, Delta, and finally a air craft inspector for a corp jet co . He as like that also

Commitment issues.  :hyst:

On TC's, idling on the side stand wasn't an issue, but M8's seem to leave several ounces of oil in the crankcase when idling on the stand. I haven't seen the left cases of both engines side by side to pick out all the differences in the scavenge areas.  We have tons of builders on here, I'm sure they have though. 
2021 FLHXSE