April 23, 2024, 09:05:14 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

tour pack rack for the 2011 Shark...

Started by CndUltra88, December 11, 2018, 05:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CndUltra88

So, I bought myself a couple of early Christmas gifts.
The Airwing Tour Pack Rack with the LED Light.

Of course it doesnt come with a template and I just spent a couple of hours chasing the centers for the four Legs.

I dont have a lift and thus the bike is sitting on its side stand and it makes things a little challenging.

I like to measure three times and drill once , but every time  :idunno: I am ready to center punch the holes I can see I am off an 1/8th here and an 1/8th there  :slap:

Anyone got a better way that just eye balling it ??

I aint  :banghead: yet, but getting close.

Seasons Greetings all !

Rob
Infantryman Terry Street
End of Tour April,4,2008 Panjwayi district Afghanistan

PoorUB

I have installed a few tour pack racks. Don't sweat it, eye ball it, measure from the body lines on the lid. Nobody will notice if it is crooked! Make sure it isn't too far forward. Cover the lid with painter's tape, draw a circle with a sharpie marker around each leg, and go for it!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

CndUltra88

You know UB, I was right there ready to center punch it, but I noticed the rear legs where off from the body lines.

Maybe tomorrow I will use the lower (rear) legs to align and go for it..prolly just over thinking it ...but measure thrice and drill/cut once.

Thanks Again for confirming what I was almost going to do and again giving it whirl tomorrow.

Rob
Infantryman Terry Street

Hossamania

Put a shim (board) under the kickstand to straighten the bike up a bit.
Maybe make a template of the top of the pack out of stiff paper or thin cardboard, lay that on a flat surface, mark your holes, put it back on top of the pack and check to see if it is where you want it, if not, redraw your marks.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

kd

December 11, 2018, 06:12:23 PM #4 Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 06:25:09 PM by kd
Maybe consider setting it up on blocks so everything is level.  I bet you'll feel better about your measurements and the fit. You can put it in place and try it before cutting and drilling too. Make some cardboard templates or something first.

Hoss beat me to it but here it is anyway.   I like the way he's helping the shark guys now.   Baby steps.  He's finally comin out.   
KD

Hossamania

Quote from: kd on December 11, 2018, 06:12:23 PM
Maybe consider setting it up on blocks so everything is level.  I bet you'll feel better about your measurements and the fit. You can out it in place and try it before cutting and drilling too. Make some cardboard templates or something first.

Hoss beat me to it but here it is anyway.   I like the way he's helping the shark guys now.   Baby steps.  He's finally comin out.

I'm not prejudiced, I try to help all riders, it just turns out the RG guys need a little more help than others, sometimes....
I mean, we're all equal, and need help equally.

kd

:hyst: :hyst: :hyst:  7 minutes to think up and type a response.    :hyst:
KD

PoorUB

Not to pick on Hoss, but I had a template foe the first rack I installed and tossed it in favor of painter's tape. getting the motorcycle upright is a good idea. I have mine on the lift table, clamped in the wheel chock when I did it.

Hossamania

Quote from: kd on December 11, 2018, 06:22:10 PM
:hyst: :hyst: :hyst:  7 minutes to think up and type a response.    :hyst:

I'm trying to change my RoadGlide ways and be all inclusive!

Hossamania

Without a table, I like KD's idea of blocking it up to get it level.

jambo

Don't center punch it, its a plastic like material, You can use a nail or drill bit or screw ( by hand ) to get a starter divit. Use tape on the box, get someone to hold it for you while you line it up and mark it with a sharpie. It drills very easy

Boe Cole

When I did my 11RGU, I just used tape to outline the legs.  Came very close but after installation, I noticed I was a tad off.  No one else noticed it or has said anything so I've just put it out of mind and moved on.  Can't really go back and adjust. :banghead:
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

CndUltra88

Quote from: jambo on December 12, 2018, 07:33:45 AM
Don't center punch it, its a plastic like material, You can use a nail or drill bit or screw ( by hand ) to get a starter divit. Use tape on the box, get someone to hold it for you while you line it up and mark it with a sharpie. It drills very easy

I am going to use a light duty spring time punch...
Used it in the past to mark leaxn before drilling a few holes.
Thank You Guys for all the brotherly luv with tips and poking fun at the current task.
Its all Good.
Going to mark it out shortly and drill soon after.
Rob
Infantryman Terry Street

rking1550

Eye ball it,
Mark it,
Drill it.
From where you sit, you can't see it.
124"@ 11.1 to 1, T-man 662-2, T-man thumper, woods CV 51 carb,  Bassini RR

PoorUB

Quote from: CndUltra88 on December 12, 2018, 11:32:32 AM

Thank You Guys for all the brotherly luv with tips and poking fun at the current task.
Its all Good.
Rob

And it will be crooked! :hyst:

Hossamania

Quote from: PoorUB on December 12, 2018, 04:24:21 PM

Its all Good.
Rob

Just oblong the holes and use big washers to cover them!

CndUltra88

Quote from: PoorUB on December 12, 2018, 04:24:21 PM

Its all Good.
Rob

How the F*&* did you know that would happen.
Was only out a wee bit and ran the 3/8's drill through the smaller hole.
Hardly will notice it unless someone is more anal than me.
Thanks again for the words of wisdom all.
Rob
Infantryman Terry Street

rigidthumper

Don't forget, rubber washers or sealant to keep any rain off the contents of the tour pack.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?