April 24, 2024, 03:24:13 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Panhead Rocker Cover Bolts/Screws

Started by Fugawee, November 22, 2016, 08:58:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fugawee

Hello Panhead People...My Brother recently picked up a 1950 Panhead engine. We have been working on it off and on. The engine is in decent shape. Had not been run in 20+ years, but not seized. We are replacing all gaskets, seals, washers, etc. I wanted to surprise Him with a Chrome Engine Fastener Kit. The present fasteners on the entire engine are a mish-mosh of Hex, Allen, 12 pt, Slots, Phillips, etc.

I was looking in a Gardner-Westcott M/C fastener catalog, and it says "1948-1957 with short Pan Cover Screws", or "1948-1957 with long Pan Cover Screws". The threaded portion of the present fasteners measure 1 and 1/4".

My question is...Is the inch and a quarter considered short?...or long?... I'm thinking that they are long. We have a Factory Shop and Parts Manual for the Bike, but I cant seem to find what the correct/normal length is.

The Engine is pretty much Stock. The pistons are .020 over, and an S+S oil pump appear to be the only things that the former owner had done to it. Neither one of Us has ever owned a Pan. I've been working on My own bikes for years. I/H Sporty, Shovel, Evo, and Twin-Cam. So I have a little bit of knowledge. I think...

Thanks Very Much in Advance for any light Someone can shed on this. Sorry to be so long-winded Take Care, and Thanks Again. "B"

58Tin

The 1 1/4" screws are the long ones and for use with the thicker aluminum d rings which are about 3/4 " thick. The short screws are 9/16 for the steel d rings. Do not have any steel d rings around to measure but they are about 1/4"thick.

Fugawee

Thanks Very Much! I just measured the "D" Rings and they are 3/4". So the long ones are correct. That's what I'll get. Again, Thanks-a-lot. I learned something today. Take Care.