March 28, 2024, 03:00:06 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Brake pads.

Started by calbyker69, December 05, 2018, 06:51:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

calbyker69

Time for new pads on my 15 Limited. Going with EBC Semi-sintered. Reading about "break in". Does it help or hinder to rough them a little with sand paper before install? I have used various brands in the past and have had issues with squeal with most all of them.

calif phil

Just put them on and ride.   You made a good choice in pads.  :up:

92flhtcu

give the calipers some love while you are doing it
Need a bigger garage

wood02

Maddo Snr

December 06, 2018, 09:02:06 PM #4 Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 09:08:31 PM by Maddo Snr
Quote from: calbyker69 on December 05, 2018, 06:51:17 AM...I have used various brands in the past and have had issues with squeal with most all of them.

I've run both 'EBC' and 'Braking' brand pads and I always block them into 3 mini-pads with a 4" x 1/16" cut-off disc. That stops squealing every time. Just mark the pad into 3 equal-area squarish blocks and cut down just short of the backing plate. It gives them more bite and theyre better in the wet as well.
2018 FLHX 107
Rinehart 45s, SE cleaner, TTS MasterTune. 92/108

kd

:up:   Great idea.  I also chamfer the leading edges. It cuts the chatter which nin turn becomes a squeal at high frequency.
KD

calbyker69

The EBC pads are split in the middle. I have always chamfered the edges. Rough sanded the pads. Have put some on with doing nothing, then pulled them off and did the love. They just always seem to end up with a squeal no matter what. The stock pads never did but only lasted 15K miles.

a_disalvo

Spray the backs with disc brake anti squeal before installing.

Maddo Snr

Quote from: kd on December 07, 2018, 02:33:57 AM
:up:   Great idea.  I also chamfer the leading edges. It cuts the chatter which nin turn becomes a squeal at high frequency.

Chamfering the leading edge helps with chatter-induced squeal but it makes dust-squeal even worse. The chamfer funnels crud in under the pad.

I run Ducati floating disks mounted on HD spiders. The Duke discs don't squeal at all, regardless of pad brand. Ergo; I reckon a lot of squealing is more disc-related than pad...
2018 FLHX 107
Rinehart 45s, SE cleaner, TTS MasterTune. 92/108

moose

I run Lyndall pads and have almost no dust or squeek or noise   running over 100,000 miles with no complaints (not one set  :teeth:)
Moose aka Glenn-