April 24, 2024, 11:40:54 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

S&S acr question (wiring related)

Started by misfitJason, July 25, 2018, 06:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

misfitJason

I have been trying to get all of my ducks in a row, so to speak, before my upcoming s&s V111 purchase for my custom evo softail.  I've read in the past here that guys recommend wiring them up directly to your starter relay. That's my problem. I don't have a starter relay. The bike just uses a starter solenoid switch.

Without a starter relay, what would you guys recommend wiring them into? Obviously the ground can just go anywhere but the power is the hard part.  I only have basic wiring (no turn signals and no voes) just ignition switch, speedo (mechanical with a light), dyna s, and a hidden hi and low beam switch. No hand controls even. That being said I would love to use the compression releases
2006 Dyna, Kraftech Evo Softail

tubeman426

Wire it to the starter solenoid, make sure you put an in line fuse from the solenoid to the releases.

misfitJason

Boe Cole

Isn't a solenoid just another name for a starter relay since it uses a low amp draw to toggle the high amp draw of the starter?
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

PoorUB

Quote from: Boe Cole on July 27, 2018, 09:23:24 AM
Isn't a solenoid just another name for a starter relay since it uses a low amp draw to toggle the high amp draw of the starter?

More or less, depending on the application.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Maddo Snr

Quote from: misfitJason on July 25, 2018, 06:57:12 PM...Obviously the ground can just go anywhere...

A very common misconception Jase. A direct megative feed cable between the battery -ve and the starter motor case will decrease the loop impedance and throw more current at the starter motor. It's a very useful addition on high-comp and big inch conversions. Cost is almost nothing...
2018 FLHX 107
Rinehart 45s, SE cleaner, TTS MasterTune. 92/108

misfitJason

Quote from: tubeman426 on July 25, 2018, 07:21:17 PM
Wire it to the starter solenoid, make sure you put an in line fuse from the solenoid to the releases.

are you guys saying to wire to this?

Jim Bronson

The starter relay is a general-purpose small relay that actuates the starter solenoid coil that is part of the starter assembly. There's no starter relay in later bikes. The BCM directly drives the starter solenoid.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

Boe Cole

Quote from: Jim Bronson on December 16, 2018, 10:34:02 PM
The starter relay is a general-purpose small relay that actuates the starter solenoid coil that is part of the starter assembly. There's no starter relay in later bikes. The BCM directly drives the starter solenoid.

Gotcha - that makes sense - was not thinking of a relay between the solenoid and the starter switch.  Regardless, misfitJason should be tapping into the circuit that activates the solenoid - not the main wire going from the battery to the starter as they are generally hot all the time.  I am not near my bike to check the starter but a meter will show really quick which wire is the switched wire going to the solenoid.  Should have zero voltage with the bike turned on and get hot when the starter button is activated.
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

misfitJason

So how where is the hot wire on the starter solenoid to wire to?