March 28, 2024, 01:04:50 PM

News:

more hop

Started by alstar2, September 20, 2018, 10:52:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alstar2

a friend has a 2004 883 with 1200 cyl (hd's) , no head work , straight pipes( i hate them too) stock carb/ac.wants to know
how much more hop(his words) he would get with a carb change.   thanks Al     :nix:

PC_Hater

None.

If he wants more 'hop' he has to do it properly...
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

rigidthumper

September 20, 2018, 12:31:25 PM #2 Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 11:23:38 AM by rigidthumper
I agree- carb upgrade will not yield results, a simple upgrade is to bolt on a set of 2004 and newer 1200 heads. BTW, stock 1200 stage 1 (air cleaner/rejet/slip on mufflers typically get mid 70s torque and horsepower. stock 883 heads on 1200 cylinders usually make mid 50s power.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Hossamania

Cams will help up that even more.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Panzer

Try stock Buell heads.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

alstar2

thanks for the info but nothing about just a carb. i do hear you though.will check his bank.    Al

Hossamania

Quote from: alstar2 on September 21, 2018, 07:35:54 AM
thanks for the info but nothing about just a carb. i do hear you though.will check his bank.    Al

Quote from: PC_Hater on September 20, 2018, 12:21:43 PM
None.

If he wants more 'hop' he has to do it properly...

There was the answer to the original question regarding just a carb change adding more "hop."

bobrk1

Send  stock  to  head - quarters  or R&R CYCLE  get  them  done  . H Q  did  mine  big twin very  happy 

aswracing

Quote from: alstar2 on September 20, 2018, 10:52:48 AM
a friend has a 2004 883 with 1200 cyl (hd's) , no head work , straight pipes( i hate them too) stock carb/ac.wants to know
how much more hop(his words) he would get with a carb change.   thanks Al     :nix:

Always work on what's holding the motor back. Working on anything else is a waste of time and money.

In lotsa dyno testing of carb swaps, we've found the stock CV40 to start costing significant power in the 90-95hp range. Below that, swapping the carb does next to nothing for you.

So when everything else about the build is capable of those kinds of numbers, the carb starts being the constraint, and that's when it makes sense to change it.

If you've got stock 883 heads, and a stock air cleaner, and stock cams, there ain't no way in Hades you're anywhere near that level.

Work on what's holding the motor back.

Pete_Vit

on my 1200 the most 'hop' I got was getting away from straight pipes (drag) to a good set of pipes. other great ideas from the members here  :pop:
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

Hossamania

Quote from: Pete_Vit on January 11, 2019, 07:59:22 AM
on my 1200 the most 'hop' I got was getting away from straight pipes (drag) to a good set of pipes.

Blasphemy! Drag pipes rule!

Pete_Vit

Quote from: Hossamania on January 11, 2019, 10:07:41 AM
Quote from: Pete_Vit on January 11, 2019, 07:59:22 AM
on my 1200 the most 'hop' I got was getting away from straight pipes (drag) to a good set of pipes.

Blasphemy! Drag pipes rule!
:hyst: I had 2 different set, I have to admit I liked 'em till I got my V&H's - 
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

Hossamania

I actually put drag pipes ($99 from Jireh cycle) on my 88" RoadKing twin cam. They sounded awesome, worked ok because I do not lug my motors, quite the opposite, but of course, they were going to get me sent to jail. I still have them, and I really want to put them back on my hopped up 95" motor, just to see what happens. No drinking while riding with those because I'm pretty sure I'm going to get pulled over by popo immediately.

Hossamania

OP, did your friend ever make a decision on the next step to add hop?

Adam76

Quote from: Hossamania on September 20, 2018, 03:36:01 PM
Hossamania, do you mean just cams added to what he already has?  What cams would you suggest and how much of a difference are you expecting without increasing displacement or compression?
Thanks

Hossamania

Quote from: Adam76 on January 28, 2019, 03:10:14 PM
Hossamania, do you mean just cams added to what he already has?  What cams would you suggest and how much of a difference are you expecting without increasing displacement or compression?
Thanks

I was adding to Rigid's response about upgrading the heads. Stock cams are designed to meet epa emissions and noise requirements, and be easier on the stock valve train. Upgrading the heads allows the heads to reach more of their potential. I can't give you actual horsepower numbers and how much increase their will be, I can only tell you that cams will increase the power, but also improve the power band, more power earlier and longer, more "snap", if you will.
Two identical motors side by side, except for a difference in cams (properly chosen), the bike with cams will make more power.

doubletrouble

Quote from: aswracing on January 11, 2019, 07:49:56 AM
Quote from: alstar2 on September 20, 2018, 10:52:48 AM

Always work on what's holding the motor back. Working on anything else is a waste of time and money.

In lotsa dyno testing of carb swaps, we've found the stock CV40 to start costing significant power in the 90-95hp range. Below that, swapping the carb does next to nothing for you.

So when everything else about the build is capable of those kinds of numbers, the carb starts being the constraint, and that's when it makes sense to change it.

If you've got stock 883 heads, and a stock air cleaner, and stock cams, there ain't no way in Hades you're anywhere near that level.

Work on what's holding the motor back.
well said.

Hossamania

Quote from: Hossamania on January 29, 2019, 08:51:47 AM
Thanks

I was adding to Rigid's response about upgrading the heads. Stock cams are designed to meet epa emissions and noise requirements, and be easier on the stock valve train. Upgrading the heads allows the heads to reach more of their potential. I can't give you actual horsepower numbers and how much increase their will be, I can only tell you that cams will increase the power, but also improve the power band, more power earlier and longer, more "snap", if you will.
Two identical motors side by side, except for a difference in cams (properly chosen), the bike with cams will make more power.

And to your question, I have not worked on any sportsters, but yes, just adding cams to what he currently has will add more "hop" than changing carbs would.

Adam76

Quote from: Hossamania on January 29, 2019, 08:51:47 AM

Hossamania, this doesn't reflect the testing and dyno sheets uve researched for stage  1200s vs adding cams only.  Most if not ALL of the cams lost TQ below around 4000rpm and the only real gains in HP were above 5000rpm?

What bolt in cams only are you referring to that add power "earlier and longer"?

I'm gong through the the same process (see my other thread) so I'm vey interested.
Thanks

Hossamania

Well Adam, I have not worked on any sportsters, or done any real research on them, so you know more than I do at this point. I have to admit that I was just assuming cams would increase power as they do in every other Harley motor, and was responding originally to the OP's question about more "hop".
Are you saying that there is no advantage to changing cams in an 883 to 1200 conversion with stock heads, or that has had headwork done? Seems counterintuitive to what I have learned on this site and with my own big twin motors.

Adam76

Quote from: Hossamania on January 29, 2019, 08:34:23 PM
Well Adam, I have not worked on any sportsters, or done any real research on them, so you know more than I do at this point. I have to admit that I was just assuming cams would increase power as they do in every other Harley motor, and was responding originally to the OP's question about more "hop".
Are you saying that there is no advantage to changing cams in an 883 to 1200 conversion with stock heads, or that has had headwork done? Seems counterintuitive to what I have learned on this site and with my own big twin motors.
Apologies, yes you are right.  If it is a true 883 - 1200 conversion,  then I would expect cams would definitely  make more of a difference than say just a cam swap in a stage 1   1200...  but to get a real idea of the exact gains cams wold make the OP would have to talk to one of the vendors like Hammer Performance or NHRS who do sportster upgrades for a living.  👍

Hossamania

That is where I would start. Go with the guys that really know.