April 19, 2024, 08:16:23 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

USB port mounted inside the tank-mounted gauge housing

Started by NCHeritage07, November 28, 2018, 08:02:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCHeritage07

I don't care for the look of more things hanging on my bars.  I am thinking of putting a surface mounted USB on one of the sides of my gauge housing.  If someone else has done it then I'd rather not re-invent the wheel, as long as the previous installer was satisfied with the results.

My initial thought was to use something weatherproof that was made for a boat but those are not motorcycle-friendly in appearance.  If the mechanics of the port were all internal and only a USB-sized slot were cut in the housing then only a rubber plug or the cable would be visible.  I don't purposefully ride in the rain but getting caught is bound to happen at some point.

So, who has done it?  How'd it go?  Or, will I be the pioneer?

On the days that I hold my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have pretty good days.  -RWH

Coyote

NCHeritage07

Cell phone which will be handlebar mounted and/or GoPro which could be anywhere.
On the days that I hold my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have pretty good days.  -RWH

Coyote

If both devices use a micro usb, you may want to consider a more weather proof option like an inline USB cord. They connect directly to 12 volts and have the regulator built inline and water proof.

NCHeritage07

The phone is micro but the camera is, the new, USB-c.

I suppose a double USB outlet cable hanging from the area where the tank and frame meet would be invisible enough and keep me from having to cut into anything.

Coyote

They make an adapter too that goes from micro usb to the new one. I use it on my bikes since I already have the other wired in from my previous  phone.

Here is a pic of the inline cable and adapter I use when doing installs.

[attach=0]

FurryOne

Quote from: NCHeritage07 on November 28, 2018, 08:02:28 AM
I don't care for the look of more things hanging on my bars.  I am thinking of putting a surface mounted USB on one of the sides of my gauge housing.  If someone else has done it then I'd rather not re-invent the wheel, as long as the previous installer was satisfied with the results.

You mean like this?... $10 from Walmart online "3.1A Dual USB Port Charger Socket Outlet Waterproof 12V LED"

FurryOne

Quote from: FurryOne on November 28, 2018, 01:34:13 PM

You mean like this?... $10 from Walmart online "3.1A Dual USB Port Charger Socket Outlet Waterproof 12V LED"
OOPS!  Forgot - that's only a "charger", not a USB connection - Sorry.

FurryOne

I don't care for the look of more things hanging on my bars.  I am thinking of putting a surface mounted USB on one of the sides of my gauge housing.

After doing some research, if you want the standard 4-pin type "A" USB connector, this might fit the bill.  It's waterproof and is USB-A on both sides.

Digi-Key #626-1355-ND   $13.16 ea.

NCHeritage07

That black one looks perfectly acceptable on the black background of the big console but I think it would be much less acceptable on the chrome, tank mounted speedo housing of my heritage.  Also, I'd have to check the available space to see if it will fit internally. 

After spending some more time looking into this, I think one or two female USB hanging in front of the tank may be the better answer.

But this is not likely to be needed until spring.  Any rides I take during the winter will be short.

NCHeritage07

I took the cheap and easy route.  I had a car charger with a half broken cable.  I broke the plastic off and connected the limited circuitry direct to my battery.  The runs along the frame and up through the triple-clamp.

Once finished, it became clear that I was over-thinking the whole idea.

My cable is coiled and pretty short but will still reach most any place that I may put the camera.

Thanks for the replies though.  They did help lead me to my simple solution.

Unbalanced

This vendor at Bikeweek had some interesting options that might be worth a look.