April 16, 2024, 05:26:43 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

A question about switches and controls, please.

Started by Paniolo, April 24, 2019, 04:34:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paniolo

2006 CVO Ultra.

All of a sudden the volume control on the handle bars has started acting up. It no longer goes up and down with ease. When I press the button either up or down nothing happens. If I press and hold, the volume will suddenly raise or fall quickly and out of control.

I opened up the switch housing and shot some electrical contact cleaner on it, and through the front. It didn't seem to have any lasting effect.

Is it time to replace the volume control switch?

Mark
Life can only be lived in the present moment.

Ohio HD

Was the bike washed or wet just before it happened? Might try some WD see if it expels any moisture. The contact cleaner should have, but it wouldn't hurt to try. Other than that, probably a switch.

Paniolo

Quote from: Ohio HD on April 24, 2019, 05:29:19 PMMight try some WD see if it expels any moisture. The contact cleaner should have, but it wouldn't hurt to try. Other than that, probably a switch.

WD40 sounds like an easy task to try, I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Paniolo

And WD40 did the trick. I am surprised, I though for sure electrical contact cleaner would have done the job. Learn something new every day.

chaos901

You likely know, but WD-40 was developed by NASA to remove water from electrical contacts.  The "WD" stands for Water Displacement.  They decided to license it when they found out that the engineers were using on the distributors and points on their cars. 

So the story goes.
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

Ohio HD

Quote from: chaos901 on April 26, 2019, 09:13:27 AM
You likely know, but WD-40 was developed by NASA to remove water from electrical contacts.  The "WD" stands for Water Displacement.  They decided to license it when they found out that the engineers were using on the distributors and points on their cars. 

So the story goes.

Yes, I used to keep a can in my glove box. My old '66 Ford didn't want to start after a heavy rain in warm weather. The inside of the distributor cap would arc follow carbon tracks due to the moisture in the air. 

calif phil

My old shop was next to a quarter car wash.   I cant count how many times I loaned out my can of WD40 to spray inside a wet dist cap.  Guys I would hand them the can.  Good looking girls would also get free labor.  :smiled: