March 28, 2024, 10:40:21 AM

News:

M8 Pinging / Detonation Sounds ?

Started by HV, October 20, 2017, 08:39:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HV

May have been talked about in the past but I havent seen it....

Any one having Issues with M8s Pinging noises around 3000 Roll on ?  Got one Trike and a Street Glide doing it....both 18s ....HD is scratching their Heads.....talked to 3 Different Guys at the Mothership so far ......done a $hit load of tests ...they are down to adding Octane Boost ......FFS they are brand new Bikes ! ...Ya a Customer is going to want to carry a can of Boost with him all over the Country  :banghead:
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

Don D

Local guy here complains about the same on his 17 trike. He also says it is dead out of the hole. 100% stock

HV

Its pulling almost 5 Degrees out of the rear at times .....somethings not good..... :doh:
Skype HV.HTT

RXBOB

My 17 RG was pinging I put on a PV did some data logging pulled some timing in identified areas smoothed out the timing and its sweet

I would imagine that any half descent Dyno operator should be able to sort it out

HV

Quote from: RXBOB on October 20, 2017, 03:57:34 PM
My 17 RG was pinging I put on a PV did some data logging pulled some timing in identified areas smoothed out the timing and its sweet

I would imagine that any half descent Dyno operator should be able to sort it out

Not on a Brand New Bike ..... using only the HD Digital Tech Software  :wink:
Skype HV.HTT

Sunny Jim

They will pull timing as the engine gets hot.

Geezer_Glider

Interesting. I've put 13K miles on my 17 Ultra, all running 87 octane swamp swill. Only get a momentary rattle if I crowd it real low rpm (<1600) in a too high of gear by accident. Nothing at 3K rpm, even snapped open at 3K in 6th. Will be interesting to hear what is found. Engine has been running good, 45mpg on average, stone stock except breathers to a catch can.
Just saying,
R Meyer

thunderrat

I demo'd a 2018 Heritage at Tomahawk in September. They always have a nice self-guided route where you can twist the throttle if you want.  That bike ran like  :turd:  detonated like crazy when I got on it.  The two other 18's I rode did not do that and ran ok.

Bike31

Quote from: thunderrat on October 20, 2017, 07:56:19 PM
I demo'd a 2018 Heritage at Tomahawk in September. They always have a nice self-guided route where you can twist the throttle if you want.  That bike ran like  :turd:  detonated like crazy when I got on it.  The two other 18's I rode did not do that and ran ok.

What engines were they...107 or 114?
2017 Sportster 1200 C #79 since 1960

RXBOB

Quote from: HV on October 20, 2017, 04:37:51 PM

Didn't have that problem here down under at my dyno Operator

HV

Quote from: RXBOB on October 21, 2017, 12:46:18 PM
Quote from: HV on October 20, 2017, 04:37:51 PM

Didn't have that problem here down under at my dyno Operator

What I ment was we have no way of tuning a Bike using the Harley Computer ......you would need a Tuner of some kind ....PV SERT Etc ...these are new bikes with no tuners ...
Skype HV.HTT

BVHOG

Interesting, I will be tuning an 18 trike this weekend and will be watching for detonation etc, awfully cool here to not sure if it's a legit test or not.
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

HV

Was a bit cool here too ....so should be close....be interesting to see for sure
Skype HV.HTT

BVHOG

Quote from: HV on October 21, 2017, 01:23:20 PM
Was a bit cool here too ....so should be close....be interesting to see for sure
I pulled the factory cal with PV, will take a close look at the stock timing tables.
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

HV

Check around 3000 ....if you roll on...then off ...then Hit it at just below 3000 it will start
Skype HV.HTT

1FSTRK

There is a learning curve with dual plugs.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

thunderrat

"What engines were they...107 or 114? "

They were all 107's

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Both the 107 and 114's have Knock Sensors. Perhaps something is defective?
Tom

HV

Update........after doing a lot of runs and saving them to the DT...we went through every reading we could find......Called the Factory a lot of times...sent them recordings...their answer /   Rider is not riding it properly..lol WTF .....I finally found the rear knock sensor had 0 Volts running......called the factory back told them to look at that part of the recordings....." OH thats not correct "   FFS   no $hit.....now the cold has set in...new Knock sensor back ordered....so it will be spring now before we see it that was the issue  :banghead:
Skype HV.HTT

harley_cruiser

Quote from: HV on November 21, 2017, 05:36:16 PM
Update........after doing a lot of runs and saving them to the DT...we went through every reading we could find......Called the Factory a lot of times...sent them recordings...their answer /  Rider is not riding it properly..lol WTF .....I finally found the rear knock sensor had 0 Volts running......called the factory back told them to look at that part of the recordings....." OH thats not correct "   FFS   no $hit.....now the cold has set in...new Knock sensor back ordered....so it will be spring now before we see it that was the issue  :banghead:
Why is it always my fault :hyst:

Bike31

Quote from: HV on November 21, 2017, 05:36:16 PM
Update........after doing a lot of runs and saving them to the DT...we went through every reading we could find......Called the Factory a lot of times...sent them recordings...their answer /   Rider is not riding it properly..lol WTF .....I finally found the rear knock sensor had 0 Volts running......called the factory back told them to look at that part of the recordings....." OH thats not correct "   FFS   no $hit.....now the cold has set in...new Knock sensor back ordered....so it will be spring now before we see it that was the issue  :banghead:

Was the factory voice Paki or Indian?
2017 Sportster 1200 C #79 since 1960

HV

Skype HV.HTT

SLAATY

HV, been following your thread w/interest. With KS's there shouldn't be any more than temporary knock, obviously. It's strange that these are back ordered?? With GM, if it was a new vehicle down they'd pull parts off the line.

Might be interesting to see if KS's now have an 'A' designation...

HV

Because this is now our Fall/Winter time...the Bikes are away till spring...so the MOCO likely sees to rush to send us parts......FYI we also have a Demo Bike that a customer reported pinging too.....its also stored so I cant even check the Voltages on it till Spring....all on Hold for now  :emoGroan:
Skype HV.HTT

Moparnut72

If KD4's are on back order how in the hell are they building new bikes. Leaving them off?
Zkk
If you find yourself in a fair fight,
You didn't prepare properly.

PoorUB

November 25, 2017, 06:45:49 AM #25 Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 06:51:04 AM by PoorUB
Quote from: Moparnut72 on November 25, 2017, 06:39:01 AM
If KD4's are on back order how in the hell are they building new bikes. Leaving them off?
Zkk

Factories can be funny. They will allot so many pieces for production, and so many for parts supply and the two do not cross. They will not pull parts from production to replenish parts supply.

Years ago I went on a tour through a Generac generator plant. The next day I was back at work and looking over back ordered parts. I had a part from Generac that was back ordered so I called to find out how long it would be. Three months I was told. The day before they were assembling the very same model on the factory floor. I asked the gent in customer service to do me a favor and walk down on the factory floor and pull the part out of production and ship it to me. He hesitated for a second and told me the part would ship that day!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Moparnut72

I kind of knew that but was asking a rehtorical question. But it seems to me a couple of happy customers in the field are worth more than one in the bush. But as we all know a lot of companies don't think that way. Once they sell something to somebody get them out the door pronto and forget 'em. Not the way for keeping customers and selling them another new bike down the road.  I once bought a new model from a Chrysler Dealer. It was a new hot model and all the dealers I checked looking for a certain color had marked them up over list. One dealer had one in even a nicer color and knocked off $500. I told them others were marking it up a couple of thou. Salesman told me he wanted to sell me more through the years, not just this car. Great dealer, Denham Chrysler in Redding Calif.
kk
If you find yourself in a fair fight,
You didn't prepare properly.

Nastytls

That's a smart business. Too many dealers out there, particularly in the HD world, want to gouge you for every last penny. To me, thinking long vs. short is a much smarter play and will earn them more over time. The dealer I go to offered me a discount on parts without me even asking. They also don't charge the BS cash grab "setup and documentation" fees when you buy a bike ( new or used ). They are a smaller family owned shop, not one of the greedy corporate conglomerate owned shops. I won't buy parts from any other dealer now and if I ever buy a bagger it will be from them.

rbabos

Quote from: Nastytls on November 26, 2017, 08:20:18 AM
That's a smart business. Too many dealers out there, particularly in the HD world, want to gouge you for every last penny. To me, thinking long vs. short is a much smarter play and will earn them more over time. The dealer I go to offered me a discount on parts without me even asking. They also don't charge the BS cash grab "setup and documentation" fees when you buy a bike ( new or used ). They are a smaller family owned shop, not one of the greedy corporate conglomerate owned shops. I won't buy parts from any other dealer now and if I ever buy a bagger it will be from them.
Good for him.  :up: How does he skirt the MoCo demands? They just about tell you how to breathe when you become a dealer.
Ron

Nastytls

harley_cruiser

Quote from: HV on December 09, 2017, 12:39:37 PM
Update on the Pinging M8 we have.......we installed a new Knock Sensor ...Voltage went from 0 to 2.5 ...same as the Front one...had a chance to ride it but it was a cool day......no pinging....so fingers crossed for the spring
Translated
Update on the Pinging M8 we have.......we installed a new Knock Sensor ...Voltage went from 0 to 2.5 ...same as the Front one...had a chance to ride it but it was a cool day......no pinging....so fingers crossed for the spring

HV

Not sure what happened with that post  :banghead:
Skype HV.HTT

GoFastRKS114

HV  I'm looking forward to an update. I am having the same issue with my 17 RKS. 107 with a Stage IV and dyno'd. V&H X-pipes. It sounds like gravel in the front pipe under load, with moderate throttle roll-on from 2500-3K in 5th or 6th. I took it out today for a 50* ride and it only did it once. I run Premium fuel only. Ran 1 tank of Octane Boost and it improved some. Bike did it during break-in before being dynoed. I rode very conservatively to avoid it. After 1k service and dyno, same issue. Took it back in, and different tech said the dyno map was too advanced in that RPM range. He backed it off some, but said that any more would cost me power. It showed 118 ft of torque on the initial dynojet test. Still does it consistently when the motor is warm, even in cool temps. Very interested to see if anyone finds the problem, and i'm wondering if I should be expecting more power from a Stage IV 114?

PoorUB

I question your Dyno operator's tuning ability. Plus, which tuner? A HD tuner will allow a change in tune just to certain limits. If your engine needs to be adjusted out of those limits, you're screwed. If the engine pings, you are loosing performance, so I don't agree with his comment.

Gordon61

I logged my new 2018 Fatboy and it was pulling 3 or 4 degrees all over the place  :scratch:

It only had 200 miles on the clock before it went away for the winter - I asked about it somewhere else and was told that to run it for 500 miles because they were set up like that from the factory and needed a good few hundred miles to "learn"

Quote from: 1FSTRK on October 21, 2017, 03:25:03 PM

I've not heard this one before??
I know there are spark removal tables but they should be pretty much 0 under normal running should they not? ...well, if the spark tables are tuned correct anyway. Is there some other learning somewhere?

No Cents

did you do a leak down test on it?
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Sunny Jim

Mine consistently pulls timing / Knock señor count/ PV gauges. I have collected data regularly on the PV gauges ad downloaded it on MLV. I have removed timing and I still get a reading.
I am going to turn off the Knock Sensors.
107/ CR460/ street canons/ AC/ PV target tune.

1FSTRK

Quote from: Gordon61 on January 17, 2018, 03:55:41 AM
I logged my new 2018 Fatboy and it was pulling 3 or 4 degrees all over the place  :scratch:

It only had 200 miles on the clock before it went away for the winter - I asked about it somewhere else and was told that to run it for 500 miles because they were set up like that from the factory and needed a good few hundred miles to "learn"

Quote from: 1FSTRK on October 21, 2017, 03:25:03 PM

I've not heard this one before??
I know there are spark removal tables but they should be pretty much 0 under normal running should they not? ...well, if the spark tables are tuned correct anyway. Is there some other learning somewhere?

I was referring to the the learning curve of the people making the timing maps. Dual plugs and pent roof chambers require less timing and if the timing maps are written with the same curve that worked on performance TC's then the ECM will be pulling timing. The problem will be worse when free flowing exhaust, air cleaners and good cams are installed and do not get custom spark maps designed. One other thing that comes into play is the air flow curve of the new heads which is totally different from the HD norm so VE and cylinder pressures do not follow the traditional rpm curve.   

1FSTRK

Quote from: Sunny Jim on January 17, 2018, 04:58:49 AM
Mine consistently pulls timing / Knock señor count/ PV gauges. I have collected data regularly on the PV gauges ad downloaded it on MLV. I have removed timing and I still get a reading.
I am going to turn off the Knock Sensors.
107/ CR460/ street canons/ AC/ PV target tune.

It can be you are not get spark knock, with no ion sensing the mechanical knock sensors pick up all types on noise and the ECM has to be program at the factory level to ignore this extra noise.

Gordon61

Quote from: No Cents on January 17, 2018, 04:11:26 AM
  did you do a leak down test on it?

If that was at me, no, she was wintered before the valve seat thing came to light ...but it will be first on the to do list come spring.  Mine also produces white smoke until it is warmed up  :crook:

Quote from: 1FSTRK on January 17, 2018, 05:05:44 AM
I was referring to the the learning curve of the people making the timing maps.

OK I got ya.  So do you think the factory are still learning and the stock maps are a bit off then?

1FSTRK

Quote from: Gordon61 on January 18, 2018, 02:49:16 AM

Quote from: 1FSTRK on January 17, 2018, 05:05:44 AM
I was referring to the the learning curve of the people making the timing maps.

OK I got ya.  So do you think the factory are still learning and the stock maps are a bit off then?

HD has been releasing bikes and then refining maps as they go starting with the first EFI bikes. With the big changes from TC to M-8 there is no reason to expect the maps to be more than a rough start at this point. Now add any of the aftermarket parts and it is is a total R&D situation.

No Cents

I was actually asking HV...but it would be something that I would be checking if I owned an M8.
If one is leaking around the valve seat I would think it could cause all sorts of issues. Maybe even cause pinging.  :nix:
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

HV

That was one of he first things the MOCO asked us to check....it was well with in Spec.....  Knock sensor looks like its fixed it
Skype HV.HTT

FastFLSTF

Coming into this late, but my new 2019 FLTRU does the same thing. Oddly, I can roll into it around 2500 and no ping, but hitting it between 3000-4000 and it sounds like a can full of forks. Was wondering if this was a thing.

Durwood

Quote from: FastFLSTF on November 02, 2018, 02:08:19 PM
Coming into this late, but my new 2019 FLTRU does the same thing. Oddly, I can roll into it around 2500 and no ping, but hitting it between 3000-4000 and it sounds like a can full of forks. Was wondering if this was a thing.
It needs to be properly tuned.

FastFLSTF

Brand new bike with nothing but slip-ons.

Durwood

Quote from: FastFLSTF on November 02, 2018, 02:12:58 PM
Brand new bike with nothing but slip-ons.
Even just changing mufflers will have adverse effects on the calibration. This has been debated to death but the data tells the story.

Get a proper tune and your woes will go away.

HV

Not sure if I posted this before but....double check the plug wires on the coils.....found 3 or 4 so far loose...push in and you will hear it click in to the coil harder.....this stopped a few from pinging...mostly the rear cyl plug on the intake side
Skype HV.HTT

FastFLSTF

HV

Ive found a few loose Mike .....always stops the pinging unless the Knock sensor is toast  :up:
Skype HV.HTT

Freedom1974

I have a 2018 stage 3 and it has been pinging running down the interstate for the 9000 miles i have put on it.  Been to dealer 4 times.  Started with the SEPST pinged then put the Smart Tune pro on it still pinged.  Broke down and bought a Power Vision from Fuelmoto with the stage 3 map downloaded.  Loaded it in the bike and still pings.  Took it back to dealer and supposedly they tuned it with the power Vision on the Dyno.  You guessed it still pining !!  I am at a loss and obviously so is the dealership.  Mind you they did all this work for free other than the purchase of the power Vision.  They know there is a problem or they would not have tuned it for free.  Any ideas would be really helpful.  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:

PoorUB

Quote from: Freedom1974 on December 07, 2018, 09:47:17 PM
I have a 2018 stage 3 and it has been pinging running down the interstate for the 9000 miles i have put on it.

Find a decent dyno tuner and get a proper tune. My guess it your dealer's guy doesn't know how.

Where are you located?

HV

If it has a loose plug wire or a bad Knock sensor .....they can tune it with every tuner made and it will still do it....they are missing something ..I did a PDI on a new 2019 CVO last week and it had a loose plug wire out of the Box
Skype HV.HTT

Freedom1974

Quote from: HV on December 10, 2018, 03:15:09 AM
If it has a loose plug wire or a bad Knock sensor .....they can tune it with every tuner made and it will still do it....they are missing something ..I did a PDI on a new 2019 CVO last week and it had a loose plug wire out of the Box
Going to take it to a different dealer in January.  I will mention those ideas when i drop it off.

sfmichael

Quote from: HV on December 10, 2018, 03:15:09 AM

well nothing beats experience so I'm not questioning it - but why do you think loose wires causes / allows them to ping?   :pop:
Colorado Springs, CO.

rigidthumper

I'd imagine that if the plug wire is loose, spark timing will be off, because some of the allotted time ( and part of the current) is spent jumping the first gap. May not affect it at idle, but might show up from mid range on up.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

HV

When I was at the factory for the M8 Training they made a point to mention checking the plug wires...they MUST Click when installing them...according to them it can make the timing change as much as 5 degrees .....That along with the 2 or 3 bad Knock sensors Ive had can make pinging a real PITA to get rid of
Skype HV.HTT

sfmichael

Quote from: rigidthumper on December 11, 2018, 06:13:05 AM
I'd imagine that if the plug wire is loose, spark timing will be off, because some of the allotted time ( and part of the current) is spent jumping the first gap. May not affect it at idle, but might show up from mid range on up.

this was my assumption / hypothesis also...but in that line of thinking I would think that the timing would be retarded under these conditions?

weird...regardless, always good to learn tips from guys in the field

thanks for the info HV  :up:
Colorado Springs, CO.

Jamie Long

I have a 2018 stage 3 and it has been pinging running down the interstate for the 9000 miles i have put on it.  Been to dealer 4 times.  Started with the SEPST pinged then put the Smart Tune pro on it still pinged.  Broke down and bought a Power Vision from Fuelmoto with the stage 3 map downloaded.  Loaded it in the bike and still pings.  Took it back to dealer and supposedly they tuned it with the power Vision on the Dyno.  You guessed it still pining !!  I am at a loss and obviously so is the dealership.  Mind you they did all this work for free other than the purchase of the power Vision.  They know there is a problem or they would not have tuned it for free.  Any ideas would be really helpful.  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:

I highly suggest submitting a support ticket thru our Fuel Map portal. We will need to see three 20+ minute datalogs of mixed riding along with a copy of the tune you are running. Should be a very straight process to get you straightened out. 

Freedom1974

Quote from: Jamie Long on December 20, 2018, 08:03:19 AM
I am not sure how do do that Jamie.  I am thinking of just bringing it to you and having you tune it.  I have tried all other options around me.  420 mile ride will be nice and make the bike run correctly.

I highly suggest submitting a support ticket thru our Fuel Map portal. We will need to see three 20+ minute datalogs of mixed riding along with a copy of the tune you are running. Should be a very straight process to get you straightened out.

Freedom1974

Taking my bike down to Durwood Monday.  See if he can line out the tune and get rid of the spark knock.

Fat11Lo

Quote from: Freedom1974 on January 10, 2019, 01:03:11 AM
Taking my bike down to Durwood Monday.  See if he can line out the tune and get rid of the spark knock.

You're in good hands there

sfmichael

Quote from: Fat11Lo on January 11, 2019, 07:52:26 AM
Quote from: Freedom1974 on January 10, 2019, 01:03:11 AM

You're in good hands there

roger that  :up:
Colorado Springs, CO.

Freedom1974

Quote from: HV on December 11, 2018, 01:40:17 PM
When I was at the factory for the M8 Training they made a point to mention checking the plug wires...they MUST Click when installing them...according to them it can make the timing change as much as 5 degrees .....That along with the 2 or 3 bad Knock sensors Ive had can make pinging a real PITA to get rid of
Any news on the knock sensor taking care of the spark knock ?