April 16, 2024, 02:51:47 AM

News:

Dakota Digital MCV-7000 install

Started by calabashmc, January 22, 2016, 02:27:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

calabashmc

Has anyone installed a Dakota Digital MCV7000 on a 2012 or later NRS?

I have just installed mine and all seems to be working except tachometer (haven't tried speedo yet). I connected the yellow wire from the MCV7000 to the blue/orange wire going to the front coil. No RPM bar shows at all when I rev. I set it to 1 cylinder in the MCV7000 set up as per the instructions.

I put a volt meter on the line and it measures a steady 11.8V so I'm wondering if I'm tapping the correct wire?

There are 3 wires going to the coil, Blue/orange, yellow/green, and grey/blue. According to the wiring diagram in my service manual the blue/orange goes to pin 29 (Coil front) on the ECM, and the grey/blue goes to pin 27 (Ion sense).

I must be doing something wrong but not sure what. Have I tapped the correct wire?
I might try tapping the rear cylinder coil wire instead but can't see how that will make a difference.

rbabos

Quote from: calabashmc on January 22, 2016, 02:27:19 AM
Has anyone installed a Dakota Digital MCV7000 on a 2012 or later NRS?

I have just installed mine and all seems to be working except tachometer (haven't tried speedo yet). I connected the yellow wire from the MCV7000 to the blue/orange wire going to the front coil. No RPM bar shows at all when I rev. I set it to 1 cylinder in the MCV7000 set up as per the instructions.

I put a volt meter on the line and it measures a steady 11.8V so I'm wondering if I'm tapping the correct wire?

There are 3 wires going to the coil, Blue/orange, yellow/green, and grey/blue. According to the wiring diagram in my service manual the blue/orange goes to pin 29 (Coil front) on the ECM, and the grey/blue goes to pin 27 (Ion sense).

I must be doing something wrong but not sure what. Have I tapped the correct wire?
I might try tapping the rear cylinder coil wire instead but can't see how that will make a difference.
I think it's wired wrong. I thought it used the coil negative for the tach? Best bet is to contact the tech support. Pretty sure you will not be able to make the newer sonar fuel sensor work for the fuel gauge.
Here's some data on the earlier v rod wiring.
http://www.dakotadigital.com/PDF/MCV-7000.PDF
Ron

dirty jim

ARE THE V-ROD'S LIKE ALL HARLEY'S, AS IN THE REAR CYLINDER IS NUMBER ONE IN FIRING ORDER? WOULD THAT MAKE A DIFFERENCE?

rbabos

Quote from: dirty jim on January 22, 2016, 07:55:43 AM
ARE THE V-ROD'S LIKE ALL HARLEY'S, AS IN THE REAR CYLINDER IS NUMBER ONE IN FIRING ORDER? WOULD THAT MAKE A DIFFERENCE?
Front is #1 for cam timing purposes, so logically ignition should follow.
Ron

calabashmc

QuoteI think it's wired wrong. I thought it used the coil negative for the tach? Best bet is to contact the tech support. Pretty sure you will not be able to make the newer sonar fuel sensor work for the fuel gauge.
Here's some data on the earlier v rod wiring.
http://www.dakotadigital.com/PDF/MCV-7000.PDF
Ron

Ron, are you saying that the blue/orange wire that goes to pin 29 (labeled "Coil front") on the ECM is not the negative side?  The other wire (grey/blue) that connects to pin 27 (labeled "Ion Sense") on the ECM is common for both coils.  The other yellow/green wire does not connect to the ECM and is also common to both coils.  On the rear cylinder the wire is yellow/blue and connects to pin 11 on ECM but I would think it would be just the same as connecting to blue/orange on the front coil.

As for the sonar fuel sender, I have a thread over at the Electronicspoint forum trying to figure out a way to convert volts to ohms http://www.electronicspoint.com/threads/volts-to-ohms-for-fuel-sender.277154/#post-1679626

My main concern is getting tacho and speedo to work.  Tacho first then I can put the bike back together to take her for a spin to see if I wired the speedo in correctly.  I just tapped into a white wire in a 3 wire connector near the rear cylinder coil harness for that which seems to be what everyone does.

rbabos

Looks like neither of these are ground. Coils = Blue / orange for front cyl #29   Yellow / blue for the rear #11. T into the black/blue into vss wire for speedo #33. The earlier v rods have the same coil colours as my 13, only difference is the early ones use white for the vss and later ones have black/blue.
If you don't have the electrical manual, pm me and I can shoot to over to you to your email as it might help sort out what's what.
Ron

calabashmc

I think the MCV-7000 is faulty.  I disconnected and put a volt meter across the MCV-7000's yellow wire (tacho signal) and get 10 volts.  As this wire is for the tacho signal from the coil I would not expect any voltage across this wire.  I checked and can't find a short anywhere so looks like the instrument cluster is putting out 10V on this wire.  I'll contact DD.  Faulty?

FSG

QuoteThe other yellow/green wire does not connect to the ECM and is also common to both coils.

That is 12 Volt Power which comes from the System Relay.

rbabos

January 23, 2016, 08:06:52 AM #8 Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 08:15:32 AM by rbabos
Quote from: FSG on January 22, 2016, 05:19:13 PM
QuoteThe other yellow/green wire does not connect to the ECM and is also common to both coils.

That is 12 Volt Power which comes from the System Relay.
Correct. The yellow / green is power to both coils from the relay. Blue/orange and Yellow blue should be the signal wires for the tach. :nix:
Ron

calabashmc

Yep, I'm tapped into the blue/orange.  With the I put a voltmeter on the yellow wire from the MCV-7100 when it is not connected to anything and it is spitting out 10V.  So something not right as I would not expect volts on this at all if it is the tacho sensor. Everything else is working including speed which I tapped from the VSS and fuel gauge due to 2012 NRS using sonic sensor.  Still haven't heard back from Dakota Digital.

speedzter

If it's looking for a negative trigger pulse from the coil drive, it makes sense the input is pulled high.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pull-up_resistor

FSG

calabashmc

Yep, all working now.  Turns out the wire I used to tap into the coil was faulty, had a break in it somewhere.  On a hunch I replaced the wire and bingo, tacho now works.  Just have to figure out how to change volts to ohms so I can get the fuel gauge working with the new sonic fuel level sensor.  I'm experimenting with Arduino, MOSFETs and resistors...

rbabos

January 24, 2016, 06:30:49 AM #13 Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 06:40:38 AM by rbabos
Quote from: calabashmc on January 24, 2016, 12:43:49 AM
Yep, all working now.  Turns out the wire I used to tap into the coil was faulty, had a break in it somewhere.  On a hunch I replaced the wire and bingo, tacho now works.  Just have to figure out how to change volts to ohms so I can get the fuel gauge working with the new sonic fuel level sensor.  I'm experimenting with Arduino, MOSFETs and resistors...
Good catch on the wire issue. I see you are posting on 1130 cc. com as well. That would be your best bet on the sonar gauge deal as several have that Dakota unit on their bikes. A couple might have gotten it to work, with a similar approach you are taking or they just stuck the pre 07 sender in place. A real step backward as they are very unreliable.
Ron