March 28, 2024, 09:52:51 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Is this the replacement for the V-Rods?

Started by rigidthumper, March 09, 2017, 08:34:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rigidthumper

Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

rbabos

March 09, 2017, 09:50:15 AM #1 Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 09:55:08 AM by rbabos
Quote from: rigidthumper on March 09, 2017, 08:34:06 AM
The mini-rod gets an upgrade:
http://rideapart.com/articles/harley-davidson-introduces-new-model-cruiser
Seems to be heading in that general direction with this new model of the Street. Not quite as cheap looking as the first Streets. As a replacement, never. The two are apples and oranges in quality and style. The two will always be separate identities and forums. :wink: The price tag is where this one will kick off in sales, where the high priced v rod had a limited market especially the younger crowd.
Ron

jbexeter

V-rod always sold reasonably well here in europe, you can go to the hamburg harley days and see several groups of 10 or more riding together on the street

ignore the first 25 seconds

https://youtu.be/MTzDeyzZr5Q

rbabos

Quote from: jbexeter on March 09, 2017, 11:14:12 AM
V-rod always sold reasonably well here in europe, you can go to the hamburg harley days and see several groups of 10 or more riding together on the street

ignore the first 25 seconds

https://youtu.be/MTzDeyzZr5Q
They sure do like their fat tires in Europe. Then there's this guy with front and back. It seems any serious customs, all parts are built over there and these bikes get major work overs. The stock 240 in my view is too fat, let alone the 360 rear in the vid plus that fat front to boot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAoqeRDFRuE
Ron

Paniolo

Life can only be lived in the present moment.

masstch

They finally addressed the two major complaints on the Street 750: anemic power and horrible braking. I'm glad they did it, but.... Why do you have to buy the special model to get what should be included on the base model? Wait.  Oh yeah.
Rhetorical questions, who still does those?

Paniolo

Quote from: masstch on March 09, 2017, 07:53:07 PM
They finally addressed the two major complaints on the Street 750: anemic power and horrible braking. I'm glad they did it, but.... Why do you have to buy the special model to get what should be included on the base model? Wait.  Oh yeah.

I'm sure the CVO version will have ALL the bells and whistles,....LOL!!

dirty jim

I love the wheels, I wonder if they fit a '15 fxdlr?

00se

120 front- 160 rear. Don't think it would work.

dirty jim

Stock=100/90B19, 160/70B17. Rear will take a 180 on a stock rim. "Looks" like a 120 would fit the front, but how bad, if at all, would the handling be do to smaller wheel diameter?

PoorUB

Quote from: rbabos on March 09, 2017, 11:44:02 AM
They sure do like their fat tires in Europe. Then there's this guy with front and back. It seems any serious customs, all parts are built over there and these bikes get major work overs. The stock 240 in my view is too fat, let alone the 360 rear in the vid plus that fat front to boot.
Ron

Nice bike, but looks like it has the turning radius of a Mack truck.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

rbabos

Quote from: PoorUB on July 01, 2017, 04:50:50 AM
Quote from: rbabos on March 09, 2017, 11:44:02 AM
Ron

Nice bike, but looks like it has the turning radius of a Mack truck.
Probably worse but in this case throttle will turn it more. :hyst:
Ron

hd06myway

the V-Rod suffered from the same thing the Beull did, it was an odd ball in terms of category.  Like the Beull before it, the V-Rod was NOT a sport bike.... nor was it, like the Beull, a Cruiser either... that's the problem.... yea both bikes were "faster" than the traditional Harley's but neither was what a "sport bike" rider wanted, they're are other real pedigree sport bikes out there, including the EBR 1190RX & SX (Eric Beull) which Beull designed and built after Harley dropped him.  at 185hp and 101 lbs ft tq. Harley would have been better off keeping EB and let him design and build a real sport bike, not a massaged Sportster which only competed against itself.... much like the V-Rod. 

If Harley was smart... they'd take that V-Rod motor put it in a completely new designed bike, TO GO HEAD TO HEAD with the Indian Scout, who's motor is almost identical in spec's & power output as the Vrod, and brand it as the all-new 21st Century Sportster!

sfmichael

Colorado Springs, CO.

rbabos

Personally, I think the Streets are a cobbled up mess. :sick: An insult to all things HD.
Ron

Hossamania

I thought I saw that they went away from the cheap metric looking switch controls and at least blacked them out so there isn't a giant orange kill switch hanging out there. I'm pretty sure everyone that saw it said "Hey, just like my old Honda." Might not be better, but certainly looks better.
This doesn't mean it's still not a cobbled up mess.
Funny how not one person has asked a tech question about them here since they came out three or four years ago. (Five years ago?)
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

rbabos

Quote from: Hossamania on January 03, 2018, 08:42:46 AM
I thought I saw that they went away from the cheap metric looking switch controls and at least blacked them out so there isn't a giant orange kill switch hanging out there. I'm pretty sure everyone that saw it said "Hey, just like my old Honda." Might not be better, but certainly looks better.
Funny how not one person has asked a tech question about them here since they came out three or four years ago. (Five years ago?)
They have their own forum .  I checked it out once to see what issues they had.
Ron

sfmichael

the few I rode were dogs, I can tell you that...and too small...and I'm not a big guy
Colorado Springs, CO.

Paniolo

Quote from: sfmichael on January 03, 2018, 01:01:23 PM
the few I rode were dogs, I can tell you that...and too small...and I'm not a big guy

And that's how it works. They sell 'em a "Dog", and then when they get comfortable and "out grow" it, they come back for a Softail. Pass right on by the Sportsters and go for a Big Twin.

rbabos

Quote from: Paniolo on January 03, 2018, 01:14:25 PM
Quote from: sfmichael on January 03, 2018, 01:01:23 PM

And that's how it works. They sell 'em a "Dog", and then when they get comfortable and "out grow" it, they come back for a Softail. Pass right on by the Sportsters and go for a Big Twin.
That might be the game plan but I'm not sure how the person will magically fall into more money to afford the bigger bikes. They sell because the price is reasonable. The v rod was always over priced for the market intent so the Street has the edge that way.
Ron

Hossamania

Quote from: rbabos on January 03, 2018, 10:54:41 AM
Ron

But the Vrods got their own category here, aren't the Streets also Harley's?   :potstir:

rbabos

Quote from: Hossamania on January 03, 2018, 02:02:36 PM
Ron

But the Vrods got their own category here, aren't the Streets also Harley's?   :potstir:
I think I saw a decal on the bike stating so. :wink:
Ron

Hossamania

Ron

So, what issues did they have?

rbabos

January 04, 2018, 11:17:06 AM #23 Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 11:23:12 AM by rbabos
Quote from: Hossamania on January 04, 2018, 10:39:07 AM
Ron

So, what issues did they have?
This might have been what I read.
http://www.hdstreetforums.com/forum/harley-davidson-street-general-discussion/11921-list-issues-your-street.html
I understand all bikes have issues but this is a real simple bike. More issues then I figured there would be for such a basic design. It doesn't even have a fuel gauge, only a light.  Read somewhere about throttles sticking too, somewhere else. One thing that shows up is dealer disdain towards the bike in general. I'm sure that will give the owners a warm and fuzzy to buy a new bike from them. It's a good way to drive a customer to a different brand, for sure.  Dealers hated the v rods too and still do. I knew that going in and never had intentions of getting pissed off that way since I do all my own work if needed anyway.
Ron