April 18, 2024, 07:27:35 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Gears fell out after pulling cover

Started by neilc, August 10, 2016, 01:20:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JW113

Try taking the tappets out while putting the gears in the case.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

neilc

All done,removed lifter from motor and gears are now timed,will now set up all lifters

neilc

Removed entire lifter and now all gears in and timed,wish someone had mentioned the obvious a couple of days ago,now just have to read manual on timing lifters,then that side of bike is done and onto transmission issue,thanks though for the responses,hope to help someone out if they need it

neilc

Done all gears in ,oil pump timed biggest issue was had to remove lifter out of first cam to get it in on the correct timing mark,after all the replays wish someone mention to remove lifter in the first place

neilc

Can't seem to reply to my own post for good news update

neilc

All set by pulling the lifter out for that cam all cams in and timed,now just have to time lifters and fix trannie

neilc

Sorry about repost one too many cold ones after gears in

garyajaz

Burnout

Quote from: JW113 on August 13, 2016, 12:16:41 PM
[attach=0]

-JW
That is your timing mark for the front cam. IGNORE THE PAINT MARKS!!!

The paint marks are gear sizing for factory assembly.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

rider7816

Pete_Vit

93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

Panzer

Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

JW113

Neil...

Please pull the tappet blocks out, then put the cams in. That's how the rest of us do it. I hope. Tappet blocks and tappets go in after cams are in and outer timing cover is bolted on.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Burnout

They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"