April 20, 2024, 05:48:35 AM

News:

Recommendations on (kind of) big inch build

Started by les, November 08, 2017, 10:12:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

les

Quote from: kd on May 12, 2018, 07:43:47 PM
Very nice Les. Will you be posting your dyno sheet? I'd love to see the curve (and AFR if available). I'm sure others will too.  :beer:

This is the chart I got from Roeders showing the results of the tune.

koko3052

:up: Good job les...hang onto your liscence.  :hug:

kd

KD

1FSTRK

Quote from: les on May 12, 2018, 06:01:08 PM
Quote from: 1FSTRK on May 12, 2018, 04:28:30 AM
Quote from: les on May 11, 2018, 08:50:40 AM
Just to close the loop on this long journey winter build, I got the bike back from the tuner.

141 hp, 148 torque

:up: :up:
How about a run down of the rest of the build, we never got past where you finished the bearing retainer?

Oh, "Potty mouth".  I didn't even realize I did not share about the rest of the build.

124" (4 5/8" stroke, 4 1/8" bore)
T-Man cylinders and pistons (5cc dome, based on his process of boring raw S&S jugs and tight fitting his pistons made by Weisco)
T-Man performance pro touring heads (2" intake valves, 1.8" intake ports, and that cool optional breather setup)
T-Man 660 PS cams, S&S fancy blue oil pump and plate.
HPI 62mm fuel injection with 6.2 gps injectors and V2 air filter (with that cool velocity stack)
All the other hoopla (limited lifters, the long S&S adjustable pushrods, S&S roller rockers, rocker lockers)
Oh, yeah.  My first grudge box tranny bearing installation
SE full clutch plate stack with the SE VPC
Tuning module is the SE Super Pro Tuner
What am I forgetting...oh, yeah.  Boss Boarzilla (those ninnies stopped making the Boarzilla cut!)

WOW
First this list and I just saw the dyno sheet you posted somebody had a great winter!
When you get a minute that you are not out riding post a pic.
Great job
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

Hilly13

Quote from: les on May 12, 2018, 06:18:14 PM
Quote from: Hilly13 on May 11, 2018, 01:35:37 PM
Hi Les, just read through this thread and I got to say I admire your tenacity, job well done and good numbers to finish it off  :up:

Thanks.  I have to say that I can't recall being in the Frankenstein Dungan (garage) when I've had more fun, for so long, at such intensity, at such fear, at such desperation, at such excitement, at such learning, at...

What a high!   :beer:
New stuff and trepidation lol, love your work 👍
Just because its said don't make it so

les

Quote from: 1FSTRK on May 13, 2018, 07:28:52 AM
Quote from: les on May 12, 2018, 06:01:08 PM
Quote from: 1FSTRK on May 12, 2018, 04:28:30 AM
Quote from: les on May 11, 2018, 08:50:40 AM
Just to close the loop on this long journey winter build, I got the bike back from the tuner.

141 hp, 148 torque

:up: :up:
How about a run down of the rest of the build, we never got past where you finished the bearing retainer?

Oh, "Potty mouth".  I didn't even realize I did not share about the rest of the build.

124" (4 5/8" stroke, 4 1/8" bore)
T-Man cylinders and pistons (5cc dome, based on his process of boring raw S&S jugs and tight fitting his pistons made by Weisco)
T-Man performance pro touring heads (2" intake valves, 1.8" intake ports, and that cool optional breather setup)
T-Man 660 PS cams, S&S fancy blue oil pump and plate.
HPI 62mm fuel injection with 6.2 gps injectors and V2 air filter (with that cool velocity stack)
All the other hoopla (limited lifters, the long S&S adjustable pushrods, S&S roller rockers, rocker lockers)
Oh, yeah.  My first grudge box tranny bearing installation
SE full clutch plate stack with the SE VPC
Tuning module is the SE Super Pro Tuner
What am I forgetting...oh, yeah.  Boss Boarzilla (those ninnies stopped making the Boarzilla cut!)

WOW
First this list and I just saw the dyno sheet you posted somebody had a great winter!
When you get a minute that you are not out riding post a pic.
Great job

Ok, I'll post some overall and some closeup pics tonight.  And, yes.  It was one of the best winters yet.  So much so that the take out 103" that I built a couple of years ago (sitting in the engine bench with a garbage bag over it to protect it from dust) is "speaking" to me.  Those voices in my head!  It's not my fault!  lol

les

May 14, 2018, 03:04:39 PM #156 Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 08:39:11 PM by FSG
A look at my bridge bolt work.

[attach=0,msg1230489]

[attach=1,msg1230489]

les

May 14, 2018, 03:08:02 PM #157 Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 08:28:14 PM by FSG
Because I got the optional T-Man breathers, I replaced the hollow breather bolts with solid bolts.  Now my engine cannot puke on the cam cover.  Those holes are totally blocked off.

[attach=0,msg1230490]

[attach=1,msg1230490]

les

Interesting what TR does with the quench area.

koko3052

Thanks for the pix les. :up:
I had a different take on the bridge bolt. Because I had to do some welding on my case, broken out inner primary bolt boss, I welded up the area that you milled out. Built the weld out to the rounded areas around the cyl. studs. Figured that the cyl studs needed all the meat that could be provided. Then milled it flat & then milled a recess around the 1/4" bolt hole on each end. Using 1/4" grade 8 flanged head bolt & flanged head nut with o-rings under each to seal.
Just didn't feel right about using a bolt that had been milled triangular, plus tapping deeper threads. Just didn't like.....altho there are probably thousands out there running fine. :nix:
PS... don't have a clue how to post pics. :cry:

Geraldsd

Thanks Les for sharing this.  It was really great to read and see how well it turned out!👍👍👍
2014 FLHX, S&S 110" kit, CR-575 Cams, HDSP Heads
10.5/1, D&D Fat Cat, Stock TB

les

Quote from: koko3052 on May 14, 2018, 06:04:16 PM
Thanks for the pix les. :up:
I had a different take on the bridge bolt. Because I had to do some welding on my case, broken out inner primary bolt boss, I welded up the area that you milled out. Built the weld out to the rounded areas around the cyl. studs. Figured that the cyl studs needed all the meat that could be provided. Then milled it flat & then milled a recess around the 1/4" bolt hole on each end. Using 1/4" grade 8 flanged head bolt & flanged head nut with o-rings under each to seal.
Just didn't feel right about using a bolt that had been milled triangular, plus tapping deeper threads. Just didn't like.....altho there are probably thousands out there running fine. :nix:
PS... don't have a clue how to post pics. :cry:

I used the 1/4" JIMS bolt for the case boring.  The boring actually took meat out of the JIMS bolt.  However, the final bolt I used is the S&S bolt, which I hand filed to shape.  I also used the rubber grommet washers on both ends.  The bolt is torqued down to S&S specifications.

les

les

Just a quick follow up report on the life testing of the pinion shaft bearing retainer.  I finally put 10K miles on the engine and popped off the cam cover for an inspection.  The bearing retainer is still holding tight.

koko3052

motolocopat

Fantastic job and as everyone has already said a real pleasure watching you progress through the build.
We never did get the photos of the Bike/Build though :wink:
MotoLocoPat  2015 FLTRXS, 2013FLHX, 2010FXDF
2006 Ducati S2R1000, 2004 KTM950

les

Quote from: motolocopat on May 19, 2019, 01:45:23 PM
Fantastic job and as everyone has already said a real pleasure watching you progress through the build.
We never did get the photos of the Bike/Build though :wink:

The interesting photos I have posted.  The bike ain't all that much, just a 2011 black RK.  No chrome or doo-dads.  I wanted to follow up after I got 10K miles on it because there were some opinions that the bearing retainer would spit the screws out.  IMO, the build isn't done until there is 10K miles on the engine.  So, I just wanted to confirm to all that this new approach to a retainer lasts at least that many mile, and it does not take a machine shop to install.  Make the initial blank?  Yes.  Shape, modify, and install?  No.