April 24, 2024, 08:27:02 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

DD7 changing ratios with Powervision

Started by skunk, April 07, 2019, 12:13:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skunk

April 07, 2019, 12:13:02 PM Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 02:48:13 PM by skunk
Just installed a DD7 in my 08 RG and am having issues trying to change the ratios in the PV table. I have the display off of the bike and connected to my laptop. I have opened the current tune file, gear, gear ratios and get the numbers below. Any changes I make to Bakers ratios like putting 1.0 for 6th or 1.1 for 5th ( only using 2-7 Baker  actual advertised ratios in the 1-6 spaces as per dynojet) when I hit enter it always defaults to 0.98302? firmware is up to date . What am I doing wrong? Being Sunday no factory support. Bike ran last season with curent values in it.

1 - 0.21528
2 - 0.31063
3 - 0.41778
4 - 0.51510
5 - 0.60847
6 - 0.71761

rredneckn2

I have a dd7 08 Sg values starting slot 1 .26146 .34681 .46092 .57189 .65275 .71761
If you don't like what I say DONT read it

skunk

Were those default numbers or ones you programed in? If your numbers how sis you come up with them and how did you install them?

Ohio HD

I have no idea if these are accurate, but this is from the DD7 instructions.

Can't help with why the settings revert back. You should be able to make the changes to the MAP in the software without the PV unit even attached.

[attach=0]

Rockout Rocker Products

The values from the instructions didn't work for me. These are from Mark @ Baker...

(Powervision)

2008-2013 Touring bikes

2014-2016 Touring bikes

The '14-'16 kinda work on my '15 Limited. Better said... they work slowly. You basically start out in zeroth gear. then 2=1, 3=2, etc. Up through (actual) 3rd it works, after that it still works but it's slow to register on the display... like it's thinking about it. The higher the gear the slower to display. I'll ride along for a bit with no display then it appears. It really shouldn't be so difficult to get it right..... it's just math.

I pretty much gave up & just don't look at it  :idunno:
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

rredneckn2

Quote from: skunk on April 07, 2019, 07:33:54 PM
Were those default numbers or ones you programed in? If your numbers how sis you come up with them and how did you install them?
tThese are the values I programmed in my map and they came from dynojet. You have to open and edit your map on laptop. Send corrected map to power vision then flash bike

skunk

April 08, 2019, 07:48:58 PM #6 Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 07:54:56 PM by skunk
Thank you to all. I wound up plugging in the numbers Rockout posted, nearly identical to RRedneckn2's numbers, and it took them. I  probably misunderstood the guy at DJ when we spoke about inputting the gear ratios. I'm thinking that the 0.98302 number it kept reverting back to must be a max value allowed and this is why when using the actual gear ratio number they exceeded the max value? I wonder what the equation is to come up the numbers used? 
Have not had a chance to ride it  to see how it acts, still needs to go back to the tunner again after winter motor upgrades.
Once again, thank you

skunk

April 21, 2019, 04:36:23 PM #7 Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 04:50:40 PM by skunk
OK so had the bike out the last couple of days and love the DD7. Gear spacing / RPM drop feels very even and smooth. Shifts like budder. With the ratio numbers Rockout and RRedneckn2 ( thank you both ) posted 6th gear light comes on in 7th only like it should and cruise works in 4th thru 7th. Calibrated the spedo to 2135 PPM (32/66 sprockets on an 08 RG) using a GPS app on my phone. Only issue I am running into is hammering on it in 1st it hits the limiter at about 56-5700 RPM (and it gets there fast), but will pull to 6200 in 2nd and 3rd, haven't tried the RL above 3rd.........yet :teeth: RL is set at 6200 in the PV. Question is am only getting 5700 in 1st because the PV gear tables only have slots for 6 gears and doesn't know what to do 1st as we are not using a value in the tables?  Has anybody else ran into this and is there a work around?

rredneckn2

I don't think those values can affect your rev limiter. I'd guess your getting to the rev limit faster than your tach can display in first gear.

skunk

Quote from: rredneckn2 on April 22, 2019, 07:35:24 AM
I don't think those values can affect your rev limiter. I'd guess your getting to the rev limit faster than your tach can display in first gear.

Give the man a prize. Rredneckn2, you are exactly right on the nose. On the way to work today( and outside of my neighborhood ) I brought it up much slower in 1st and was able to cross 6k with out hitting the limiter. Gonna have to be on my game with this configuration. Haven't even been back to the tuner yet after this winters upgrades. Larry worked the heads over and I added the DD7

Rockout Rocker Products

Quote from: skunk on April 21, 2019, 04:36:23 PM
OK so had the bike out the last couple of days and love the DD7. Gear spacing / RPM drop feels very even and smooth. Shifts like budder. With the ratio numbers Rockout and RRedneckn2 ( thank you both ) posted 6th gear light comes on in 7th only like it should and cruise works in 4th thru 7th. Calibrated the spedo to 2135 PPM (32/66 sprockets on an 08 RG) using a GPS app on my phone. Only issue I am running into is hammering on it in 1st it hits the limiter at about 56-5700 RPM (and it gets there fast), but will pull to 6200 in 2nd and 3rd, haven't tried the RL above 3rd.........yet :teeth: RL is set at 6200 in the PV. Question is am only getting 5700 in 1st because the PV gear tables only have slots for 6 gears and doesn't know what to do 1st as we are not using a value in the tables?  Has anybody else ran into this and is there a work around?
Sort of entirely off topic.... what lube are you running? I've tried a few & my DD7 is louder/klunkier than my old stock 6 speed.

skunk

Redline Shockproof Heavy

And thank you for your info on the ratios

Pirsch Fire Wagon

[/quote]
Sort of entirely off topic.... what lube are you running? I've tried a few & my DD7 is louder/klunkier than my old stock 6 speed.
[/quote]

Louder with Spectro Platinum? I find the Spectro Platinum (Overfull by 2 - 3 oz) really quiets them down. Maybe an issue with yours? The DD7's I install are all much quieter than stock - Hell, a Garbage Truck is most often quieter. Call Baker - They'll be more than willing to assist.
Tom

Rockout Rocker Products

Tried the Spectro Platinum, M1 75-140, Bel-Ray 85-140.... all about the same with B-R probably the slight edge. Now running Redline Heavy Duty (NOT V-Twin) at Baker's recommendation on their site... no real difference.  :idunno:

Not only klanky shifting, it takes a firm downshift not to grind gears.

joe_lyons

There are limiters per gear, can't remember the name right now but I believe it's more of a throttle limiter.  I know it's in the airflow folder. 
Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

kd

Quote from: Rockout Rocker Products on April 23, 2019, 07:22:56 PM
Tried the Spectro Platinum, M1 75-140, Bel-Ray 85-140.... all about the same with B-R probably the slight edge. Now running Redline Heavy Duty (NOT V-Twin) at Baker's recommendation on their site... no real difference.  :idunno:

Not only klanky shifting, it takes a firm downshift not to grind gears.

You appear to be describing a dragging clutch.  How is your adjustment?
KD

Rockout Rocker Products

'15 limited..... hydro clutch. Interesting thought tho.  :scratch:

Ohio HD

John, the gear box is capable of being shifted without the clutch at all. Maybe test after the transmission is warmed up. Shift without the clutch, see if it acts better.

BVHOG

Thanks for this thread, tuned an 09 113 build yesterday with the DD7 and the cal numbers worked out perfectly in a 205 cal (the ones from Mark)  Transmission is as smooth as silk but man that's a lot of shifting. I'll take a good strong 5 spd anyday.
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

Rockout Rocker Products

Figures I get the one bastard DD7.

I have thought seriously about putting the stocker back in. I like the extra ratios, but they ain't worth 2 grand alone.

Someone mentioned slightly overfilling... any good reason NOT to try this?

rredneckn2

kd

April 24, 2019, 01:20:26 PM #21 Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 01:27:28 PM by kd
Quote from: Rockout Rocker Products on April 24, 2019, 04:55:15 AM
'15 limited..... hydro clutch. Interesting thought tho.  :scratch:

What clutch and pressure plate are you using?  Is there any chance your fibers have been contaminated (need cleaning), disc(s) are warped, or pressure plate is not true? Have you tried a disassembly, cleaning, inspection and readjustment?  Is the release zone close to the grip or near the end of the travel?  Have the hydraulics been bled to confirm no air that would cause a spongy reduced travel?   It sounds like a lot of questions but I'm sure you know where I'm going with it.  Others seem to rave about the soft clean shifting of the DD7.
KD

rredneckn2

KD is on top of it! I let my cable adjustment get a tad loose started feeling a little resistance downshifting. I have Installed at least 10 6 Speeds and the Dd7 in mine. I know the 5 speeds are (almost indestructible) The Cruise drive leaves much to be desired. Baker Transmissions are a DEFINITE upgrade to ANY Orem setup!!

rredneckn2

Quote from: Ohio HD on April 24, 2019, 05:09:44 AM
John, the gear box is capable of being shifted without the clutch at all. Maybe test after the transmission is warmed up. Shift without the clutch, see if it acts better.
I would not recommend this. It's not gonna solve anything!!

Ohio HD

Quote from: rredneckn2 on April 24, 2019, 06:20:08 PM
Quote from: Ohio HD on April 24, 2019, 05:09:44 AM
I would not recommend this. It's not gonna solve anything!!

Do you know why I suggest trying it?

It the transmission clicks through the gears without the clutch, you can gain from that the transmission is more than likely shifting correct, and the issue is clutch drag. Yes motorcycle transmissions can shift without a clutch.