April 26, 2024, 05:23:07 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

DD7 changing ratios with Powervision

Started by skunk, April 07, 2019, 12:13:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rockout Rocker Products

Quote from: kd on April 24, 2019, 01:20:26 PM
Quote from: Rockout Rocker Products on April 24, 2019, 04:55:15 AM
'15 limited..... hydro clutch. Interesting thought tho.  :scratch:

What clutch and pressure plate are you using?  Is there any chance your fibers have been contaminated (need cleaning), disc(s) are warped, or pressure plate is not true? Have you tried a disassembly, cleaning, inspection and readjustment?  Is the release zone close to the grip or near the end of the travel?  Have the hydraulics been bled to confirm no air that would cause a spongy reduced travel?   It sounds like a lot of questions but I'm sure you know where I'm going with it.  Others seem to rave about the soft clean shifting of the DD7.

The clutch is all stock HD "assist and slip" hydro unit. Engagement is almost all the way out at the lever. The whole thing (obviously) had to come apart when I put the DD7 in, nothing seemed out of sorts. It was fine before the new trans.

Quote from: Ohio HD on April 24, 2019, 06:22:39 PM
Quote from: rredneckn2 on April 24, 2019, 06:20:08 PM
Quote from: Ohio HD on April 24, 2019, 05:09:44 AM
John, the gear box is capable of being shifted without the clutch at all. Maybe test after the transmission is warmed up. Shift without the clutch, see if it acts better.
I would not recommend this. It's not gonna solve anything!!

Do you know why I suggest trying it?

It the transmission clicks through the gears without the clutch, you can gain from that the transmission is more than likely shifting correct, and the issue is clutch drag. Yes motorcycle transmissions can shift without a clutch.

I can shift without the clutch if I let off the gas. Sounds the same... klanky. It's worse as the bike gets hot.

There isn't any drag at idle... I mean no creeping forward or anything like that. OTOH I used to have pretty much a silent cold shift into first, now KLANK.

www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

kd

Was the engagement that close to the grip before?  Most people complain about the engagement zone being too close to the end of the travel with hydro clutches.  Giving it a real good bleeding to ensure there's no air in the system would be an easy thing to try.  Also make sure the pivot bushing is in good condition and lubed will help too. I feel if you can get that lever engagement away from the grip it may tip the release in your favour.
KD

Rockout Rocker Products

Quote from: Rockout Rocker Products on April 24, 2019, 08:02:37 PM

The clutch is all stock HD "assist and slip" hydro unit. Engagement is almost all the way out at the lever. The whole thing (obviously) had to come apart when I put the DD7 in, nothing seemed out of sorts. It was fine before the new trans.

Quote from: kd on April 24, 2019, 08:19:35 PM
Was the engagement that close to the grip before?  Most people complain about the engagement zone being too close to the end of the travel with hydro clutches.  Giving it a real good bleeding to ensure there's no air in the system would be an easy thing to try.  Also make sure the pivot bushing is in good condition and lubed will help too. I feel if you can get that lever engagement away from the grip it may tip the release in your favour.

See above, maybe I worded it wrong. The engagement is at the end of the lever travel, always has been.

I would pull the thing out & send it back to be fixed.... but fix what? I'm sure it would get looked over & returned as is. I mean... what is there, in there, to be wrong?

kd

:doh:  Sorry,  I don't know why I thought you said at the grip.    :embarrassed:  Please disregard my previous drivelling response.  I am not familiar enough with those clutches to comment further.
KD

joe_lyons

Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

rredneckn2

If you don't like what I say DONT read it

joe_lyons

Quote from: rredneckn2 on April 26, 2019, 06:58:06 PM
Quote from: joe_lyons on April 25, 2019, 05:46:51 AM
Calculator
I assume this is for 14- up Do you have values for 08 - 13 ?

The calculator works by taking the values that were originally in your calibration inputting them and you input the new gear ratios vs the old ones.
Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

Heinz

Quote from: Rockout Rocker Products on April 24, 2019, 09:23:32 PM
I would pull the thing out & send it back to be fixed.... but fix what? I'm sure it would get looked over & returned as is. I mean... what is there, in there, to be wrong?

I'm in a similar situation with you but I have a Grudgebox I just bought and installed that is grinding gears at times in 1st-4th shifts. I put in a new Evolution Industries Black Ops basket and a Barnett Scorpion clutch. I'm getting .082 inches of travel on the clutch plate.  I have done every bit of trouble shooting I can think of. I pulled the clutch discs and checked them on a piece of glass they are perfectly flat. I've tried different levels of Red Line in the primary, different levels of Mobil 1 75w-140 in the gear set. When none of that worked I pulled the entire hub/basket, clutch, compensator and chain from my 2011 SG and put them in this bike (2010 Ultra Classic) with the Grudgebox. Same problems. I think I got a lemon and it sounds like you did too. I pulled mine and sent it back to Baker yesterday. They wanted to see everything including the main drive gear and all the parts that came in the kit which I pulled and included. It has 1,100 miles on it. The gear oil was dirty. I've never seen that in a stock tranny. Even with 10,000 miles my gear oil always looks clean. I told them if they don't find anything wrong with it, send me a new transmission or give me a refund.

Rockout Rocker Products

I contacted Baker about my problem. The tech there went straight to the thoughts here... clutch drag, asked my what my throw was. This weekend I'll pull the derby cover & have a look. I really doubt that's the issue as there is no creeping at idle & engagement is all the way at the end of lever release.

I guess I'm looking for a smoking gun. "That's caused by the ______ being____", something like that.

BTW.... nothing to do with the topic but Mark isn't one of the Tech contact options on the website any more  :idunno:

Heinz

Quote from: Rockout Rocker Products on May 01, 2019, 07:14:20 PM
I contacted Baker about my problem. The tech there went straight to the thoughts here... clutch drag, asked my what my throw was. This weekend I'll pull the derby cover & have a look. I really doubt that's the issue as there is no creeping at idle & engagement is all the way at the end of lever release.

I guess I'm looking for a smoking gun. "That's caused by the ______ being____", something like that.

BTW.... nothing to do with the topic but Mark isn't one of the Tech contact options on the website any more  :idunno:

The pressure plate travel, or throw as you put it, was one of the first things I checked. Baker told me they would like to see at least .08 inches even though the manual for the motorcycle requires a minimum of only .065 for the CVO hydraulic clutch for my year. As I stated, I got .082. So that wasn't the issue. I also heard that Mark had left Baker. I enjoyed working with him over the years. I hope all is well with him.