April 16, 2024, 08:36:58 AM

News:

Baker compensator issues/wear

Started by TXChop, April 20, 2019, 11:00:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TXChop

Anyone run into wear issues with the baker comp?
This one only had maybe 5k miles on it. To me it look like a lack of lube. Primary was filled with specified amount of fluid.
I pulled apart as the ring gear was stripping teeth. 
Any other thoughts? I didnt call Baker yet to see their thoughts.
[attach=0]  [attach=1]  [attach=2]  [attach=3]

kd

It's showing quite a bit of travel.  How was the spring / stack height?  It even shows wear well into decel.
KD

IronMike113

Just asking,How big of a power plant in front of this,and what debris if any on the plug,Reason I ask is I have been running one behind my 113, I haven't had issues,my drain plug has always looked normal with very minimal debris........  :idunno:
2 Bikes and 2 Beemers, that's what I have been told 😳

TXChop

Its a CVO 110 with cams, tbody, exhaust, a/c and thundermax. Dynoed 115/115.
Drain plug has always been normal looking. 

planemech

I had one in a 113 with around 3k miles on it that was starting to look like that. Sent it back to Baker and they gave me another one that went on ebay. The spacer on it was also too thick making the primary chain out of alignment.

NHBagger

Had one gall similar to that on my 110 trike.  It was over the warranty period by about 6 months, so they were not interested in seeing it.  I forget how many miles I had on it, but guessing less than 15K.

calif phil

I luv Baker products, but I will not use any more of their comps. 

TXChop

Funny, this customer was sold on Baker. I know from experience to not be loyal to any company.
Bike has DD7 speed, and the baker chain adjuster as well. I just spoke to Jeff from Baker and he is blaming the
failure due to possible crank runout. Stated anytime you have over .009-.010 there can be issues and could have caused the cracks in the extension shaft. I have never heard of a crank taking out a compensator. But then again i dont typically use Bakers comps.

rbabos

Quote from: TXCHOP on April 22, 2019, 08:13:18 AM
Funny, this customer was sold on Baker. I know from experience to not be loyal to any company.
Bike has DD7 speed, and the baker chain adjuster as well. I just spoke to Jeff from Baker and he is blaming the
failure due to possible crank runout. Stated anytime you have over .009-.010 there can be issues and could have caused the cracks in the extension shaft. I have never heard of a crank taking out a compensator. But then again i dont typically use Bakers comps.
So the crank run out made it run dry? Ok.
Ron

TXChop

I am well aware of that video from DH. Infact i think i was the first one to  view it on Youtube.
I didnt check the runout yet but will today or tomorrow. I have replaced cranks due to runout on that side before, but it never took a comp out.

Die Hard

I don't think any compensator is going to last if 1) the stack height is not correct when installed and 2) it does not receive enough oil.
Life is too short to drink cheap whiskey.

MikeL

I won't use them again either. I installed 1 on a worked 117 lasted less than 500 miles. Lack of lube most likely the cause because of the clutch having to have a lower fluid level.

MIKE

TXChop

I checked run out today exactly as per the DH video. .005. So i dont think thats the issue. I wont ever use another again. I ordered a S/E comp assy.

joe_lyons

Get the heavy-duty/high perf compensator setup from drag, Tucker, or hard drive.  I like their spring packs better and the rest is the exact same thing as the SE product.
Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

guydoc77

I had a Baker couple years ago and it started rattling and starting hard at about 1000 miles. When I replaced it with the latest SE unit with oil tray the Baker was very worn and had rust in some areas that are supposed to slide against each other. And not because of me parking the bike or a flood or some other preventable issue. I agree, doesn't lube well.

rbabos

Quote from: guydoc77 on April 25, 2019, 09:55:24 AM
I had a Baker couple years ago and it started rattling and starting hard at about 1000 miles. When I replaced it with the latest SE unit with oil tray the Baker was very worn and had rust in some areas that are supposed to slide against each other. And not because of me parking the bike or a flood or some other preventable issue. I agree, doesn't lube well.
Not like someone didn't know that, just from the pictures. :potstir: They didn't want to listen.
Ron

TXChop

Quote from: joe_lyons on April 25, 2019, 05:52:27 AM
Get the heavy-duty/high perf compensator setup from drag, Tucker, or hard drive.  I like their spring packs better and the rest is the exact same thing as the SE product.

You have a part #? Whats the manufacturer? I looked through drag and only saw the BDL .

Norton Commando

Quote from: guydoc77 on April 25, 2019, 09:55:24 AM

The "rust" you saw was comprised of super-fine metal particles as a result of: contact between two materials under load and subject to minute relative motion by vibration or some other force.  This is the definition of fretting that's included in the ASM Handbook on Fatigue and Fracture

Typically when you see signs of fretting, the 'system' is well on its way to failure.

Jason
Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.

Ohio HD

TXChop

Thanks. Ill order one of those for my old mans bike so i can test it out.

Thermodyne

Is that spline damage all the way around, or just the splines on one side?

I ate the splines up on one, but just on one side.  Turned out the sprocket shaft runout killed it.  Baker sent me a new one and I put it on a new wheel set and it shows very little wear at this point.  Almost none on the splines.

Killed Comp:

I also killed one of their Attitude Adjusters, but they haven't made that right yet. 

IronMike113

Dammit,,,,,I guess I'm going to have to take a peek at mine now,I haven't had my cover off since,,,,,,,,,,,well it been awhile 😬
2 Bikes and 2 Beemers, that's what I have been told 😳

Lowcountry Joe

And Baker really touts the "lubrication" advantages of their unit.  I've never been convinced that any manufacturer's compensator lubrication scheme could ever defeat the centrifugal forces that are always throwing oil "away" from the compensator.
"Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne

rbabos

Quote from: Lowcountry Joe on May 30, 2019, 12:58:41 PM
And Baker really touts the "lubrication" advantages of their unit.  I've never been convinced that any manufacturer's compensator lubrication scheme could ever defeat the centrifugal forces that are always throwing oil "away" from the compensator.
You have to make use of the centrifugal force, not fight it. Oil can never be added from the outside surfaces and expect it to go inward but oil can added to the center and it will migrate outward , using CF. I never understood why Baker couldn't understand this basic principal.
Ron