March 28, 2024, 08:28:40 AM

News:

New Top End

Started by mickblues, April 24, 2019, 10:46:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mickblues

Hi just had new SS 110 kit put on, heads done by Dave Mackie compression set 10.7.   Im noticing after the bike gets hot it starts feeling sluggish and not as responsive. Coming out first gear is choppy if that would be a correct way to put it.  can someone tell me if its running lean or what would be causing this? 

kd

Possible sumping candidate.
KD

Ohio HD

As stated maybe dumping, also maybe the tune. When does it run better? Only after it cools off? If sumping it should still have a crank full of oil after cooling off.

mickblues

runs better I believe when engine is cool

Y2KRKNG

April 24, 2019, 12:45:00 PM #4 Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 02:37:37 PM by Y2KRKNG
Read the plugs, If they show rich then that could cause it.  If you rode around with the choke pulled out all the time it would act the same, generally speaking.
also torque the intake flange bolts on the heads, you could be going lean as the cylinders grow. It should be done anyways so...
ATP(TurboHarry)95",Mik45,Branch/Mik "Flowmetric" heads,TW55,T.Header 2-1

mickblues

Ok thanks for the reply's.

prodrag1320

mickblues

Quote from: prodrag1320 on April 26, 2019, 04:33:52 AM
has it been tuned???

Yes power vision but not happy with torque curve.

prodrag1320

Quote from: mickblues on April 26, 2019, 08:14:29 PM
Quote from: prodrag1320 on April 26, 2019, 04:33:52 AM
has it been tuned???

Yes power vision but not happy with torque curve.

by a reputable tuner,on a dyno?

mickblues

On dyno but tuner hasn't been doing it that long. I am bringing it to a reputable tts tuner in few weeks

I'd take the tips on here, check for stumping, and leave the bike be till you get it tuned. I just posted in another thread today that the ONLY failure I've heard of with the S&S 110" kit came from improper break in and tune.

My 96" with Andrews 48s and PV a base map felt "choppy" on take offs too, and had hot start problems... till it was tuned.

Ajayrk

Sumping, oilpump o-rings leaking.
AJ

mickblues

Quote from: 838 on April 27, 2019, 03:44:11 PM
I'd take the tips on here, check for stumping, and leave the bike be till you get it tuned. I just posted in another thread today that the ONLY failure I've heard of with the S&S 110" kit came from improper break in and tune.

My 96" with Andrews 48s and PV a base map felt "choppy" on take offs too, and had hot start problems... till it was tuned.

I brought it to HD dealership to get oil change after putting 500 miles on it. I told them to check for sumping and they said sumping doesn't happen with vtwin engines. 

I will get it tuned by a reputable guy by me.

mickblues

Quote from: Ajayrk on April 27, 2019, 04:32:54 PM

HD dealer just told me sumping doesn't happen on vtwins

Big Dave

Quote from: mickblues on April 28, 2019, 05:46:58 PM
Quote from: Ajayrk on April 27, 2019, 04:32:54 PM

HD dealer just told me sumping doesn't happen on vtwins

You need a new dealer , I screwed up the oil pump o ring on a cam change and sumping is exactly what you are describing your bike is doing

Dave

Mirrmu

mickblues

The guy who did the top end build is coming to pick up my bike so he will check everything which is good.  But  yes for future, do not go to dealers when it comes to more advance "Potty mouth" like this.

Big Dave

Quote from: mickblues on May 02, 2019, 07:50:37 AM
The guy who did the top end build is coming to pick up my bike so he will check everything which is good.  But  yes for future, do not go to dealers when it comes to more advance "Potty mouth" like this.

Any word from your builder yet ?

Dave

mickblues

Quote from: Big Dave on May 07, 2019, 07:24:06 AM
Quote from: mickblues on May 02, 2019, 07:50:37 AM

Any word from your builder yet ?

Dave

Hey, yes he just came and picked up my bike.  I gave him a list of things to check.  I also want to make sure my compression was in fact set to 10.7. 

Big Dave

Hope this all worked out for you , any update ?

Dave

mickblues

Builder still has bike. Says so far its ok.  I should be getting it back this week.

Mirrmu

mickblues

Builder says he doesn't see signs of it.

Mirrmu

Mirrmu

how has this turned out mickblues

no sumping, has been retuned with TTS master tuner? new cam?