April 26, 2024, 04:16:13 AM

News:

2010 Ultra 110 into a 1996 Softail

Started by Sasquatch VNV, April 25, 2019, 07:31:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sasquatch VNV

Been offered first crack at a 110 out of a 2010 Ultra CVO and curious if it could go into a 1996 Softail.

There should be adapters but curious about the seat post in the Softail

Thanks
I may have to get older but I refuse to grow up

Ohio HD

You would need to use the A motor transmission case and oil pan. I have no idea how you would get any of that into a Softail.

Hossamania

Even the Twin Cam softails (2000 and up) use that motor and transmission design (with some differences due to mounting), the seat post bolts to the top of the transmission.
It can be done, but it means you are a skilled custom fabricator.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Ohio HD

Well, with the A motor and transmission case/oil pan in the bike, where will the shocks go?

MikeL

You could install a 5 speed  A engine in that frame using a bracket that I have seen. Oil piping on those engines is external so connecting to the oil tank shouldn't be a problem.
A newer 6 speed A engine has the internal oil passage don't I know if there is a mounting plate to adapt the oil passages. Anything is possible just takes time and $$$$$$$$

MIKE

Ohio HD

Quote from: MIKEL on April 25, 2019, 10:10:54 AM
You could install a 5 speed  A engine in that frame using a bracket that I have seen. Oil piping on those engines is external so connecting to the oil tank shouldn't be a problem.
A newer 6 speed A engine has the internal oil passage don't I know if there is a mounting plate to adapt the oil passages. Anything is possible just takes time and $$$$$$$$

MIKE

:up:  That is true.

Ohio HD

Sasquatch VNV

Thanks for the replies everyone.
I believe I'll pass on trying this mod.
Much appreciated.
I may have to get older but I refuse to grow up

MikeL

Quote from: Ohio HD on April 25, 2019, 10:13:47 AM
Maybe even easier......      :embarrassed:

https://secure.vulcanworks.net/store/2006-Twin-Cam-96-Motor-to-EVO-Frame-Adapter-Plate.html

That Vulcan works has some need stuff...........

MIKE

MikeL

neat stuff.................

MIKE

Ohio HD

I just don't know how you align a transmission to the motor sprocket of the '07 up six speed motors in that setup. Maybe someone has something to do that, I just am not aware of it.

doctorevil

I have seen a twincam in a softail deuce around town with the vulcan oil plate. It has a belt drive maybe BDL?

doctorevil

correction evo softail with deuce fender the guys said.

turboprop

Quote from: Ohio HD on April 25, 2019, 03:53:40 PM
I just don't know how you align a transmission to the motor sprocket of the '07 up six speed motors in that setup. Maybe someone has something to do that, I just am not aware of it.

Not required. There is an adapter plate for the engine to inner primary case. The sprockets will fall into alignment, but can be adjusted with shims the same way it was done on the earlier drive. The link for the Vulcan plate also shows the primary adapter plate and a special front sprocket with the correct tooth count to match the earlier clutch and go into the later style engine main shaft.

To do this will require the 1) engine-trans adapter plate, 2) engine-primary case adapter plate, 3) adapter engine sprocket.

These adapter plates get the engine in there. And that's nice. But it is a really weak setup. Not for the high output crowd.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Ohio HD

Quote from: turboprop on April 25, 2019, 07:27:43 PM
Quote from: Ohio HD on April 25, 2019, 03:53:40 PM

Not required. There is an adapter plate for the engine to inner primary case. The sprockets will fall into alignment, but can be adjusted with shims the same way it was done on the earlier drive. The link for the Vulcan plate also shows the primary adapter plate and a special front sprocket with the correct tooth count to match the earlier clutch and go into the later style engine main shaft.

To do this will require the 1) engine-trans adapter plate, 2) engine-primary case adapter plate, 3) adapter engine sprocket.

These adapter plates get the engine in there. And that's nice. But it is a really weak setup. Not for the high output crowd.

It was right in front of me. Thanks for pointing it out. If OP is going to use a stock 110 I would think maybe ok then? I guess riding style may play a part as well.