March 28, 2024, 11:22:42 AM

News:

05 oil pump relief spring?

Started by 86fxwg, April 25, 2019, 02:48:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

86fxwg

Guy did cam chain tensioners on an 05 RG stock pump & cams. He streatched relief valve spring, the spring he says is 3/16 longer than stock. Now he says hes got 55psi @ 3000 rpm. what can be the issue with him doing this? Guys back in the day shimmed SB Chevy pumps to help oil pressure. Thought id ask hear what effect this has on an HD?

86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

kd

I can't remember the exact bypass point in the oil filter but it is less than 55#.  Maybe someone will chime in with the number.  I imagine you are under constant bypass in the filter now.
KD

86fxwg

I know  I did an 02 95" with S&S crank years ago with gear drive & Screaming HD high pressure pump, it runs pegged down the interstate & 32 idle HOT! I ? that when we built the engine so I rode it with a mechanical gauge to verify, sure enough 60 psi 80000 miles later still runs down the rode pegged!

86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

rredneckn2

I put a Baisley spring in my 08 7 yrs ago. Still @ 55/60 cold running 2500 and up 50 heat soaked and never drops below 12 at idle. Never a problem. My 6 cylinder Lycoming aircraft engine in my airboat hits 80 cold and runs @ 50 heat soaked.
If you don't like what I say DONT read it

doctorevil

wix an harley call for bypass at 10 to 12 psi.that does not mean filter is bypassing the oil above 12 psi. the bypass valve is  looking for differential pressure between inlet and outlet across the filter medium. many 5 micron filters can flow 60 psi oil without going into bypass. restriction of media,oil viscosity,volume, even altitude ,how worn are the bearings effect the pressure differential.

86fxwg

If it wont cause an issue in Harleys im gonna tell him to run it!!

Thanks gents

86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

rredneckn2

Quote from: 86fxwg on April 25, 2019, 04:34:12 PM
If it wont cause an issue in Harleys im gonna tell him to run it!!

Thanks gents

your good

rredneckn2

Backsteppin a bit I would make sure if not done yet vent the head breathers to the atmosphere.

86fxwg

Quote from: rredneckn2 on April 25, 2019, 05:30:25 PM
Backsteppin a bit I would make sure if not done yet vent the head breathers to the atmosphere.

:up:

86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

Tacocaster

If he wants higher oil pressures maybe consider the Zippers Oil Bypass Shim. It's engineered to provide an increased oil pressure at all RPMs and for all of $6 bucks, it'll do the job safely.
Here is Zippers description on the product:
The Twin CamĀ® engine features an oil pressure bypass passage within the cam support plate that is controlled by a spring-loaded plunger. The purpose of this passage is to allow excess oil pressure to be diverted back to the feed section of the oil system. Inconsistencies in 1999-2006 spring length and passage machining can cause the plunger to open prematurely and/or not fully close the passage when it's supposed to be closed, resulting in a loss of critical oil pressure and volume at lower RPM's. This machined shim assures proper spring pre-load, improving oil pressure and volume. Use with factory or aftermarket oil pumps and cam plates.
We're all A-holes. It's to what degree that makes us different.