April 24, 2024, 09:37:12 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Push rod cover keeper - difficult install

Started by chris.m.j, April 29, 2019, 11:20:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris.m.j

I'm installing S&S adjustable push rods+cover kit on an '05 wide glide. The kit did not include springs so i'm using the stock springs cuz the instructions say something like 'if item is not included use stock component.' I can get three out of four cover keepers on pretty easy but this last one is not going on. It's like I can't compress the spring enough with a flathead to slip the keeper on.

Is there some sort of trick? Am I just doing something wrong? Can I shorten/cut the cover keeper by a hair to get it on?

chaos901

What I used to do was use a small flat blade screwdriver between the bottom of the clip and the top of the tube and work it in, not that difficult after a few.  Now, I use a pair of pliers that Motion Pro made just for that purpose and they work good.  They allow you to push the tube down far enough to easily slip the clip into place.
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

chris.m.j

Just saw this thread from earlier this month:

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?topic=108442.0

I definitely have the old o-ring out cuz the heads were taken off and worked on. I see a comment about grinding the cover keeper down or ordering that special tool (https://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-Push-Harley-Davidson/dp/B000GU5IUG). Guess I'll look into these two things.

Ohio HD

Head gasket surface been machined down/thinner head gasket? That drops the head closer to the cases, makes the clips tighter.

chris.m.j

Quote from: Ohio HD on April 29, 2019, 11:39:35 AM
Head gasket surface been machined down/thinner head gasket? That drops the head closer to the cases, makes the clips tighter.

I think this is what I'm looking at. Thanks for the insight.

harpwrench

If you file/round off the corners some on one end it helps, remember to stick the other end up in the head.

les

Quote from: chris.m.j on April 29, 2019, 11:33:56 AM
Just saw this thread from earlier this month:

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?topic=108442.0

I definitely have the old o-ring out cuz the heads were taken off and worked on. I see a comment about grinding the cover keeper down or ordering that special tool (https://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-Push-Harley-Davidson/dp/B000GU5IUG). Guess I'll look into these two things.

I have the Motion Pro tool and it's able to force clips in, but if I'm working with milled heads I still like to grind down the clips because I don't like smashing the heck out of the top and bottom o-rings.  If necessary, I always adjust the length of the clips to get a nice normal fit.

jsachs1

You can grind/shorten the keepers. Just don't get sloppy. :up:
John

Breeze

I had this problem with 1 push rod cover 25 yrs. ago. I took just enough off the keeper to get it in. No leaks yet.
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

Billy

I've found sometimes on the front intake the spring collar will hit a fin on the cylinder when you compress it and won't allow it to compress enough to get the clip in. I have a made a small plastic wedge to put between the lower tube and the cylinder which will allow the collar more movement down for the clip to go in.
Lazyness is the Mother of Invention

prodrag1320

Quote from: Billy on April 30, 2019, 03:53:48 AM
I've found sometimes on the front intake the spring collar will hit a fin on the cylinder when you compress it and won't allow it to compress enough to get the clip in. I have a made a small plastic wedge to put between the lower tube and the cylinder which will allow the collar more movement down for the clip to go in.

im sure this is the problem,the clip dosnt need to be shortened

IronButt70

Quote from: chaos901 on April 29, 2019, 11:32:58 AM
What I used to do was use a small flat blade screwdriver between the bottom of the clip and the top of the tube and work it in, not that difficult after a few.  Now, I use a pair of pliers that Motion Pro made just for that purpose and they work good.  They allow you to push the tube down far enough to easily slip the clip into place.
:agree: Makes installing the clips a breeze.
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

klammer76

Have found the exact same thing. Thanks for the tip on the wedge.

chris.m.j

Quote from: prodrag1320 on April 30, 2019, 04:17:44 AM

Thanks, Billy. This is the rear intake but I'll get out and try again with that in mind. And if all else fails it sounds like shortening the cover will get the job done.

Quote from: jsachs1 on April 29, 2019, 03:03:37 PM
You can grind/shorten the keepers. Just don't get sloppy. :up:
John

I Had to do this for a set of adjustables on heads that were milled to 78cc. No leaks so far.

chris.m.j

Quote from: prodrag1320 on April 30, 2019, 04:17:44 AM

You guys nailed it! The spring collar was getting stuck on a fin. I laughed out loud at how easy it was once I kept that from happening. Pretty much a flick of the wrist compared to me leaning on a screw driver and tapping the cover keeper so hard it bent the corners a bit.

Not sure what was meant by wedge but I just used a thin piece of card packaging that slipped in between the pushrod cover and cylinder fins. The cover slid down so easy.

Thanks again everyone. Hope this helps some other dodo out in the future.

prodrag1320

usually happens on both intakes,when you pry the clip,it kicks the tube back & makes contact with the fin.

Billy

QuoteNot sure what was meant by wedge but I just used a thin piece of card packaging that slipped in between the pushrod cover and cylinder fins. The cover slid down so easy.

That's all you need...anything to keep the lower tube away from the cylinder.  :up:
Lazyness is the Mother of Invention

crock

Quote from: IronButt70 on April 30, 2019, 05:32:45 AM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pushrod-Cover-Clip-Tool-for-Harley-Models/264063763352?hash=item3d7b6d4398:g:gssAAOSwoDFb~sR8
Crock

IronButt70

Quote from: crock on May 01, 2019, 04:51:32 AM
Quote from: IronButt70 on April 30, 2019, 05:32:45 AM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pushrod-Cover-Clip-Tool-for-Harley-Models/264063763352?hash=item3d7b6d4398:g:gssAAOSwoDFb~sR8
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motion-Pro-Push-Rod-Tube-Tool-08-0255/223492511012?epid=1038239069&hash=item3409311524:g:qpwAAOSwE3Fcv6-q
Same price, easier to use tool IMHO
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

MikeL

This is what I use
https://www.georges-garage.com/product/push-rod-clip-installation-tool/

MIKE

PoorUB

I use a stiff blade putty knife, they pop right in.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Hilly13

Just because its said don't make it so

BVHOG

I just slip a 3 inch square piece of plastic from an oil container in between and the collar slides right past the fin.
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.