April 23, 2024, 07:36:36 AM

News:

tensioner project finished

Started by chas, May 02, 2019, 04:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smoserx1

QuoteThe photos will help IF he has the cams aligned as well  :nix:

When you get ready to install the outer chain you have to install both sprockets and the chain all together.  Before you slip this 3 piece assembly on you are supposed to make sure you have it "hung" correctly and when rotated a certain way the dots will align.  If you do this AND you have previously installed your cams correctly (dot to dot at 3 and 9) the outer chain assembly will only go on the right way.

Don D

Quote from: chas on May 04, 2019, 12:43:14 PM
Someone says move motor clockwise until 12:00 to adjust front cyl, and someone says 1:00! Which is it 12 or 1?
I stand corrected, thanks

Hossamania

Will the outer dots line up even if the dots on the inner chain are not lined up?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

rigidthumper

Yep- and if you're off one tooth front to rear, the power can be smooth, but low.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

smoserx1

Hoss the rear cam sprocket has one spline tooth that is fatter than the rest and so it will only fit the rear cam one way.  The crank sprocket has a flat side so it will only go over the pinion end one way.  The first step is making sure the two cams are aligned at 9 and 3 o'clock.  If they are off by one tooth it is VERY obvious if you look close and won't pass the 9/3 oclock test.  The second step is putting the chain around the cam and crank outer sprockets.  There are any number of ways this can be done but only one way is right.  I just hold the assembly in front of me and slowly rotate it till the cam dot it at the bottom and the crank dot is at the top, directly opposite each other.  if you are off even one tooth the dots won't line up and oppose (remember this is done OFF the bike).  Adjust this till it is correct.  Now IF the cams are correct and the outer chain/sprockets assembly are BOTH correct, the outer chain assembly will only go on one way (the right way).  So, at risk of being long winded, follow this and check each step:

1.Cams at 3 and 9 oclock EXACTLY
2.Pinion flat perpendicular to index line on cam plate (rear cyl will be TDC)
3.Assemble outer chain and 2 outer sprockets OFF BIKE so dots will align and oppose then install on bike, tighten bolts, don't let engine move.
4 With the engine in this exact position adjust rear pushrods or install rocker assy if using one piece rods.  Wait for bleed down
5 Rotate engine CLOCKWISE till rear cam SPROCKET dot is at 12:00 and adjust front pushrods or install rocker assy if using one piece rods.
6.Install cam cover and whatever else.

Hossamania

Yes, I've done cam installs a few times, I was just asking about the inner cam marks being off, as it has happened to quite a few people that have come to this site to try and figure out why their new cams don't make the power they are supposed to. I was just asking more to get clarification that the outer dots can line up even if the inner dots are off.

Scotty

May 05, 2019, 02:45:41 PM #31 Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 02:58:51 PM by Scotty
Quote from: smoserx1 on May 05, 2019, 04:29:37 AM

When you get ready to install the outer chain you have to install both sprockets and the chain all together.  Before you slip this 3 piece assembly on you are supposed to make sure you have it "hung" correctly and when rotated a certain way the dots will align.  If you do this AND you have previously installed your cams correctly (dot to dot at 3 and 9) the outer chain assembly will only go on the right way.

Yes I know how to install cams. My point being that if someone does not understand the whole process and the cams are not dot to dot when put in the cam plate then the outer gear will still go on but the cams will be misaligned. Seen it done more than once and bent valves from it occurring.

Even with gear cams and chain drive cams the first thing that must be correct in the cams being aligned when going in the cam plate. If they are off then everything else will still fit on but you are going to have issues.

Hilly13

Quote from: Scotty on May 05, 2019, 02:45:41 PM
Quote from: smoserx1 on May 05, 2019, 04:29:37 AM

Yes I know how to install cams. My point being that if someone does not understand the whole process and the cams are not dot to dot when put in the cam plate then the outer gear will still go on but the cams will be misaligned. Seen it done more than once and bent valves from it occurring.

Even with gear cams and chain drive cams the first thing that must be correct in the cams being aligned when going in the cam plate. If they are off then everything else will still fit on but you are going to have issues.
Yep, I sort of thought that's what might have happened going by the description but seeing as he said he was back to adjusting pushrods I assumed (perhaps wrongly) that was all good.
Just because its said don't make it so

chas

Hi all- Just finished getting the bike back together. Started it up and all is well! I want to thank you guys for your in put with aligning the cams, sprocket diagrams etc... I will feel more confident next winter when I go in again to replace lifters, bearings and cams. I'm looking for a low to mid torgue cam for the touring ultra, without head work. Any suggestions? Just need a little more pull and i will be happy! Thanks again

Hossamania

What year and motor? Need that to suggest cams.
Andrews 48 is always a good cam for 96" and 103" motors in touring bikes. Also the CR570-2 in 103" motors.

les

Quote from: Hossamania on May 24, 2019, 11:30:29 AM
What year and motor? Need that to suggest cams.
Andrews 48 is always a good cam for 96" and 103" motors in touring bikes. Also the CR570-2 in 103" motors.

I like the 48 too.

IronButt70

Just put a TTS100 in my 103 touring softail. Lotsa low end pull.  :bike:
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

chas

MikeL

I have used the Andrews 37 in my 2000 rkc with just air cleaner and pipe. I have installed S&S 510's and SE-203's with good results also.

MIKE

Hossamania

The S&S 509 is a good cam for the 88's in a touring bike, Andrews 26, Andrews 21.