April 19, 2024, 12:38:04 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Bike stalls warm then runs fine...

Started by gsgtrman, July 31, 2017, 11:11:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gsgtrman

I have a 2004 FXSTI with TMax. A few weeks ago I ran out of gas just as I was pulling into a gas station (things could be worse I guess). I filled up, and rode it home, it ran fine. The next time I went for a ride, it was hard to start, which never happens. Once started, it ran good for most of the day. On the way home, as I leaned into an uphill curve to the left it acted like it was going to die then regained power; fine for the rest of the ride. I later tightened the battery connections, cleaned the IAC port, checked the O2 sensors in the TMax - all good. Took it for a short ride and it ran fine. Next ride, start it, it warms up then stalls. Starts right up again, then during the ride has another moment if hesitation in a curve. Last incident, the bike ran fine for about 10 miles then died at cruise speed on a straightaway, like it was being starved of fuel. It started up right away after, and ran fine for the rest of the afternoon about 100 miles with a couple of stops.
I changed the fuel filter and inner tank hose two summers ago, and have not ridden a lot since, maybe 3000 miles. It didn't give me any grief till I ran the tank out. If there are any suggestions that may lead me in the right direction for a fix (before I open up the tank and spend close to $150 on parts that may or may not fix the problem), I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
Do or do not - there is no try...

02FYRFTR

smoserx1

:agree:
First thing I would check.  Running out of fuel can suck debris off the bottom of the tank.

gsgtrman

Ok, changed the fuel filter and checked everything in the tank. Was fine for a couple of rides, then happened again. What other possibilities could I look at?

Hossamania

Is that bike susceptible to a bad main breaker like many others? Asking the forum more than the gsgtrman. Might just try a new one, they are cheap.
Maybe a bad vent or gas cap?
Maybe disconnect and reconnect the fuel line at the tank, install a new o-ring?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

MikeL

running out of gas with  fuel injection causes the electric motor to get hot. The fuel cools the motor. The motor could have over heated that 1 time causing damage to the motor internals causing the issues you have now.

MIKE

FLHRI_2004

Does your tank have the factory painted liner?  Is it flaking off and floating around in the tank?  My 2004 FLHRI did and it started flaking off after around 8 years or so but not so much to clog the fuel pickup.
My Ride: Road King

fbn ent

Hook up an in line fuel pressure gauge and watch to see WTF. Could be something with the feed line from the tank....
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

gsgtrman

Thanks for replies and suggestions. The tank lining looked to be fully intact. I'll check over the rest of the suggestions. Although it's the first time I've run out of gas, it's not the first time I have run low. I didn't know the gas cooled the motor...  :oops:

FXDBI

Quote from: gsgtrman on September 08, 2017, 06:46:52 AM
Thanks for replies and suggestions. The tank lining looked to be fully intact. I'll check over the rest of the suggestions. Although it's the first time I've run out of gas, it's not the first time I have run low. I didn't know the gas cooled the motor...  :oops:

It would be more like the fuel pump motor would overheat from running with nothing going thru it. Like any positive displacement pump running dry. Not that its a gas cooled motor.  Bob

fbn ent

Cavitating the fuel pump just can't be a good thing. :dgust:

zj1182

I had similar symptoms off and on for several weeks last summer on my '13 stock Heritage Softail 103 CI (including while "way out there" in Vieux Fort Quebec and Red Bay Labrador !! LOL!!).  Never got stranded, but worrisome being so far from any sort of service or parts.

Thought I had gotten bad gas on the Avalon Penninsula in Nrewfoundland. Tried drygas, octane booster, various incantations and imprecations, to no effect.  Had the air intake and IAC port cleaned of oil mist residue at a HD shop in Gander, NL  No change.

I took it in to Mile One HD in Mount Pearl Newfoundland and to Seacoast HD, my home dealer, in NH when I got home.  Despite diligent efforts, there was no unambiguous diagnosis from either.

Competing theories were intermittently malfunctioning IAC motor and head temp sensor.  I replaced both at first opportunity. Problem gone for good.  I don't know which was actually the problem.

Wish you the best.

PS: Although three HD dealerships could not diagnose problem, none told me they all do that.

gsgtrman

I realized that I had an open thread that I never posted my solution to... in any event the problem was a bad relay. Swapped them out after the bike wouldn't start for me, and it started up fine. I replaced both relays and have had no problems.
Check simple "Potty mouth" first. Sorry about the delay in posting.

fbn ent

Glad you got it. Thanks for closing out the issue!  :up: