News:

Fit of clutch basket bearing

Started by iamdouglas1, May 10, 2016, 05:18:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iamdouglas1

ooops. that didn't work like I wanted.

Like I was saying:

Hi All,

I have a question about the large bearing that sits in the tranny access door on my '69 xlch that I'm working on.

Do the large snap rings hold that bearing from spinning or is the fit in the trap door what keeps the bearing from spinning? I hesitate to put a drop of blue locktite on it.

I read the manual as saying that the fit should be ".0001 in. -.0012. that seems to me to be fairly tight. mine is looser than that. I can push it in with my fingers.

Am I overthinking this?   WHAT, ME OVERTHINK SOMETHING?   :smilep:

Burnout

Over thinking, that bearing is rarely tight in the bore. Also keep in mind that the clutch release shoves that bearing to one side or the other depending on the year. Given that the bearing needs to be shoved all the way in that direction when setting trans end play, otherwise trans thrust washers may see clutch release loads and turn blue. On the early and very late trans endplay will open up if bearing moves.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

iamdouglas1

What you are saying makes sense about the clutch basket loading the bearing. it just makes me nervous to have the bearing walking and creeping around that bore.

If what I'm concerned about was something to worry about there would be access door bores being wallered out (technical talk). I can't say I've heard of that happening so. . .there I go again. . . overthinking.

Thanks for your input Burner.

Burnout

May 22, 2016, 08:48:55 AM #4 Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 08:52:34 AM by Burnout
The bearing can't walk, it runs up against the snap ring and is held there by clutch release pressure.

The trans gears are all straight cut and there are no thrust loads other than the clutch release.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

garyajaz

my bearing was also slip fit years ago.
did not like it.
went to major bearing supply house with bearing and door.
(was thinking of replacing door.)
measured everything up. seems some bearings are different tolerances.
aircraft ones being best.
found bearing with o.d. a tho or two larger o.d. installed it press fit.
been in last 20 years or so.
want the shaft to spin in bearing, not bearing to spin in door.

Racepres