March 28, 2024, 11:53:14 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

O-rings oil pump,camplate,Twin cam...

Started by hotbo, January 11, 2019, 06:44:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotbo

Im over 2 hours from any HD shop. I have tried google search and come up with pretty much nothing.... I am looking for oil pump o rings and cam plate o-rings( 2 little ones for cam plate and the big one for oil pump) would like to buy several at a time. When i have ordered in the past from a hd dealer they rob me on price and and shipping! paid 25 bucks shipping for some damn tiny o rings!!!! Thanks for any help,Travis  :beer:
03 fatty 124"  S&S Super G/Bored w/T-jet,Dragos Softail Exh.

motorhogman

I'm driving the 2 hours and making a day of the trip it's me.... Stop for lunch.. etc,.. I'm an hour away from the nearest and 2 hours from the next nearest.  I'm not sure it's worth taking a chance with other o-rings for those applications.

Maybe somebody will chime in with something that will work other than OEM.. Shipping is probably going to be the deal killer with most suppliers.

where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

rigidthumper

Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Ohio HD

hotbo

Thanks ill get with him! I order stuff time to time from him.Travis  :up:

Don D

You're covered but for others orings are available from hydraulic or industrial supply shops by size, Id x od. Buna or epdm are oil compatable matrrials.

Boe Cole

Quote from: hotbo on January 11, 2019, 06:44:33 AM
Im over 2 hours from any HD shop. I have tried google search and come up with pretty much nothing.... I am looking for oil pump o rings and cam plate o-rings( 2 little ones for cam plate and the big one for oil pump) would like to buy several at a time. When i have ordered in the past from a hd dealer they rob me on price and and shipping! paid 25 bucks shipping for some damn tiny o rings!!!! Thanks for any help,Travis  :beer:

The big o ring is the same as the o ring that goes between the valve guide tube and the head on a twin cam.  Just got them yesterday from my local hd dealer.
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

hotbo

I have been told this before and i used the yellow one that goes between the top part of the tube and head recess... maybe its me but the wrong color bothers me and the one time i did this i had sumping issues,changed to the correct color(lol!!) from HD dealer and no issues anymore on that particular bike. Again may have just been a fluke  :idunno: :idunno: Travis  :beer:

You would think cometic would make the o rings needed   :idunno: :idunno: :idunno:

Ohio HD

Quote from: hotbo on January 11, 2019, 10:11:23 AM
I have been told this before and i used the yellow one that goes between the top part of the tube and head recess... maybe its me but the wrong color bothers me and the one time i did this i had sumping issues,changed to the correct color(lol!!) from HD dealer and no issues anymore on that particular bike. Again may have just been a fluke  :idunno: :idunno: Travis  :beer:

You would think cometic would make the o rings needed   :idunno: :idunno: :idunno:

No, I cringe when something like color changes on apart like this.       :embarrassed:

smoserx1

QuoteI have been told this before and i used the yellow one that goes between the top part of the tube and head recess... maybe its me but the wrong color bothers me and the one time i did this i had sumping issues,changed to the correct color(lol!!) from HD dealer and no issues anymore on that particular bike. Again may have just been a fluke

Yellow is the correct color and the o-ring is the same one as goes between the pushrod tube and the head.  There is an alternate one listed for some model years for the oil pump inlet and that one is black (so I have been told).  When I have done cam work I have bought the gasket kit and it has always contained the yellow o-ring.  FWIW the last time I did engine work (top end) the big o-rings that go between the cylinder bottoms and the case halves had changed from black to pink and the little o-rings that go between the cylinder bottoms and the case (around the drain dowel) had gone from black to green.  And I believe Cometic does make this oring, and I know James does.

BVHOG

If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

Admiral Akbar

I believe the small O rings are -110. You can purchase them from mcmaster.. I would get viton as Buna-N and EDPM will likely get hard after time.  Their max temp is only about 210 to 250F depending on the brand.  Viton is good to 400F.

Don't know the oil pump but you could probably leave them out if the surface is flat.  07-up pumps don't have O rings. You can measure and get them from mcmaster also.. Don't know the size.

BTW  TC cylinder base O rings are -155s.

hotbo

Thanks Everyone for the replies! Cali phil took care me... Oh he only charged me 2.00 shipping from another state  :up: Guess harley dealers have a standard flat rate when they ship  :hyst:  :beer: