April 25, 2024, 08:33:38 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Buddy seat for a 1983 Shovel FLH

Started by waltcentral, March 01, 2019, 12:59:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waltcentral

I would like to install a buddy or solo post seat on my 1983.  There are kits available but do not list anything beyond 1980 as to fitment. Can anyone shed some light as to differences or as to what would need to be modified.
Thanks,
Walt

billbuilds

The parts book shows the seat post bushings (47094-58) being used from 58 (first year of swing arm frame) until early 81. My 83 FLHS didn't have seat post bushings, I doubt that your 83 FLH does either. That same book shows a new frame being introduced in late 81 (47015-81) and I believe one difference between it and the older ones was the coil bracket. Also, IIRC, my 83 FLHS did not have a hole drilled at the bottom of the seat post cross member to accept the seat post rod mounting hardware. I'm not sure of you can retrofit yours, hopefully other will chime in. Bill
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

waltcentral

I wondered about the hole in the bottom of the seat post tube. I need to measure the seat tube inside diameter also.
Thanks Billbuilds.
I would be a lot further along if the it did not return to winter again-I hate working on cold concrete.  Just getting old I guess.

rigidthumper

If you're cold, they're cold- bring em in the house :)
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

waltcentral

I think a stove in the garage would be a little more acceptable to the Grand Poobah.

kink04fxd

My 82 FLH has the "Comfort Flex" seat, non pogo. I prefer the pogo setup, more seat options.
2000 FLHTCI (now carb)<br />1982 FLH

waltcentral

I had the comfort flex on a 1980 and 1981 Tour Glide bought new. I had no problems with the seat as far as comfort, I guess as so many things 'Harley' the Comfort Flex did not win any any style contests.
The 1983 frame only lists compatibility with the frame mount seat.

kink04fxd

2000 FLHTCI (now carb)<br />1982 FLH

96flhpi

I've got the pogo on my '82.  Pogo for a 45" (standard pogo way to wide for the tube).  If your tube is like mine it's totally open on bottom so weld a washer at the bottom of the tube or if you're like me and can't weld, make a steel bracket and clamp it to the cross member.  Been there over 10 years never a problem. 

Also if you're gonna go this route, get the bushing for the 45" pogo and turn it down until it fits the top of the tube or you're gonna have a lot of side to side play.  I cut it in half length wise and was able to turn the bushing with it just stuck on a drum sander holder mounted in a drill press and some sandpaper taped to a block.  Tapped it in then used the pogo and some valve lapping compound to take care of the distortion from install.  Us non-machinists gotta get creative!

waltcentral

Thanks 96flhpi, I discovered the straight through tube yesterday.  with paint on the tube still I measure 1.21 inch diameter.  My look for a seat stemmed from  not liking the current crop for Mustang and Corbin.  The Saddlemen Explorer looks interesting.

76shuvlinoff

Interesting... always wanted to try a pogo on my 76 but figured my legs were too short.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

turboprop

Used to have a old trouble head FLH with a pogo buddy seat. Bit had pretty good aftermarket shocks and a fork from a newer bike. My friends were always blown away the first time they rode that bike. The smoothness was off the chart not what they were expecting. Surprised harley has not tried to reinvent the pogo seat.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

96flhpi

Quote from: 76shuvlinoff on March 04, 2019, 09:44:14 AM
Interesting... always wanted to try a pogo on my 76 but figured my legs were too short.

The pogo is a different feel to be sure.  Up higher and way closer to the steering stem.  Being 6'0 had to set up highway pegs on the crash bar so I can keep my heels on the boards and toes on the pegs or it gets a little cramped.  Certainly got used to it and a normal bike feels weird now.  Pogo is also  pretty comfy.

I always wanted to try one of those giant white sofa seats - got the cop seat now.