March 28, 2024, 07:59:19 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

evo rockers

Started by waltcentral, April 03, 2019, 10:18:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

waltcentral

Will evo rockers work on shovel shafts.  Just bought a Velva touch setup and plan on running an evo cam. Probably an EV13.

Burnout

Yes, better ratio also.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Hillside Motorcycle

OE Shovel ratio............1.43:1
Evo ratio---------------1.62:1
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

remington007

Isn't the clocking different between the 2? I have seen pics of the EVO's cut and re-welded to be used in Shovels. 

waltcentral

I picked up a blemished Velva Touch set up while he had a set. Thinking of what to do when top end comes apart.  Right now tires and wheel bearings along with Gasbox 2-1 exhaust, and choosing a cam  will keep my wallet busy for awhile.

Hillside Motorcycle

One of our go-to cams in a Shovel, is an Andrews #2.
Needs springs.
LARGE useable power increase.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

capn

Is it ok to use evo rockers with shovel pushrods and lifters? Motor has shovel external oil lines to rocker boxes.Rocker arms have the oil passage in the pushrod cups.

Burnout

I don't see why not, is the ball at the top of the pushrod the same?
I'd be wanting to use EVO lifters, don't the lifter blocks interchange?
Are you going to have any valve clearance issues with the added lift?
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

capn

Thats what I was doin when I noticed it had evo rockers.Checkin clearance on springs.Now I dont know the rocker ratio.

billbuilds

Quote from: capn on April 18, 2019, 10:54:18 AM
Thats what I was doin when I noticed it had evo rockers.Checkin clearance on springs.Now I dont know the rocker ratio.

Quote from: Hillside Motorcycle on April 04, 2019, 03:49:27 AM
OE Shovel ratio............1.43:1
Evo ratio---------------1.62:1

capn

Thanks for that.I know what ratio evos are but Im trying to identify these rockers.They are roller type marked SR3202X /SF3102X.I know this motor was built over 20 yrs. ago.They look high quality but have no brand markings.

dusty1

Good to know. I too have a velva touch lifter kit (evo style). Have an EV27 cam which is .495 lift. With shovel rockers however, only getting.450 lift out of it. So I'm assuming putting in evo rockers would give .495 lift

capn

Thats the problem I am having.With evo rocker ratio its too tight seal to top collar, with shovel ratio it will work.May have to ditch the evo roller rockers and go shovel standard rockers.This is the trouble with buying a bike built years ago that no one knows anything about.

waltcentral

Quote from: Burnout on April 18, 2019, 10:40:47 AM
I don't see why not, is the ball at the top of the pushrod the same?
I'd be wanting to use EVO lifters, don't the lifter blocks interchange?
Are you going to have any valve clearance issues with the added lift?

I would personally let someone refresh the heads and possibly new springs before changing the rockers. Why not you are already there.

capn

I ended up mocking up the front cyl and head without the pistons with the exhaust valve installed put a pushrod in and rotated it. Put some dry erase ink on the valve stem. After rotating took the rocker box off and had over .060 clearance from seal to collar. On this cam intake has less lift so all is good.Now it doesnt matter what the rocker arms are.Just waitin on rings now.

motorhead_smf

Quote from: waltcentral on April 03, 2019, 10:18:30 AM
Will evo rockers work on shovel shafts.  Just bought a Velva touch setup and plan on running an evo cam. Probably an EV13.

As mentioned the ratio is different.  An important thing here is you will need stepped spacers for them to work with the shafts and endplay setup.  S&s makes shovel rollers that will work and are 1.5 ratio.  It will take a certain percent of lift away from an evo cam.  Really the re-clocking of evo arms is too correct the valve train angle problems that can be created with higher lift cams.  Talk to Dave at BMO and he will explain your options and how different combos of lifters cams and rocker arms affect each other.  There are a few different ways to do this.  Obviously if you want to evo oil you need rocker arms with oil passages.  You may need to make some changes with your oil pump for evo oilingnto work as well.

76shuvlinoff

Jim's used to sell a kit for evo oiling in a shovel. I know I have that kit on an Andrews (7?) cam in my 93. I'd have to try to look up the details when we get home. Out of town brain fog at the moment 😉. I'm not sure if that kit is even available any longer.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Johnnyshvlhd

Motorhead, you mentioned that making changes to the oil pump may be necessary to make evo oiling work. do you know what needs to be done?
I am also trying to sort through everything needed for the evo lifter swap. Thanks

JW113

Surf around the S&S website in the tech/instruction sheets section. They explain it quite well. Involves drill/plugging some holes in the engine case where the oil pump mounts.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Johnnyshvlhd

motorhead_smf

Quote from: Johnnyshvlhd on May 05, 2019, 06:09:44 AM
Motorhead, you mentioned that making changes to the oil pump may be necessary to make evo oiling work. do you know what needs to be done?
I am also trying to sort through everything needed for the evo lifter swap. Thanks

Yea as JW says. It's in the S&s manual.  But which mod needed depends on which pump and what year cases you have.  The manual is long and is not always easy to decipher tho.  The point is you need to have enough oil routing to your tappets due to that being your entire top end oiling setup.