March 28, 2024, 11:41:58 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Gasbox or Lowbrow Customs 2-1 exhausy with cigar muffler

Started by waltcentral, April 15, 2019, 12:05:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waltcentral

Anybody running this 2-1 system on their bike? How does it sound and perform.
Should it work well for a Shovelhead with compression and cams?

Burnout

They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

waltcentral

The muffler is supposed to have a 1 3/4 scalloped perforated baffle but otherwise straight through. Single exhaust system appears in parts book as 65435-70 header and choice of black 65239-41 and (low noise) chrome 65241-41a mufflers.

MikeL

Is there a bracket to support the muffler?? I can see some very premature head pipe gasket failure you all know with 1 bolt and all..........

MIKE

remington007

April 16, 2019, 08:03:40 AM #6 Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 08:08:29 AM by remington007
I built a pipe similar to that and i ran a OE Evo muffler with the core removed. Muffler is 1 3/4 straight through perforated core. My bike is a 87 inch stock bore stroker. This set up performed slightly better than the Cycle Shack slashed duals i had previously, i dynoed it and was surprised it worked so well.  Sounds good also. (Pic is before i made the heat shields)

Burnout

Yikes!  That pipe is not a performance design.    :turd:

It violates many rules of exhaust flow and offers no scavenging effect.

It was designed by an apprentice plumber not by someone with an eye to performance!

Benjie40

Pretty much looks like a stock head pipe with limits to what muffler to use. It still has to be better than a 2 in 2 though...

waltcentral

Quote from: Burnout on April 16, 2019, 11:49:14 AM
Yikes!  That pipe is not a performance design.    :turd:

It violates many rules of exhaust flow and offers no scavenging effect.

It was designed by an apprentice plumber not by someone with an eye to performance!
The problem arises when your choices are limited when choosing a system to fit on a bagger with floorboards.

waltcentral

Quote from: Benjie40 on April 16, 2019, 12:36:07 PM
Pretty much looks like a stock head pipe with limits to what muffler to use. It still has to be better than a 2 in 2 though...

That is correct: 65435-70 with 65239-41A were the template. Gasbox took over for Dennis Corso Co. in building repro harley exhaust.
I know there are better designs but in the end we have what we have. I would run a RB Racing system if I had my choice.

billbuilds

Does your bike have a kicker? You can still run your floorboards with some of the staggered dual exhaust pipes that Cycle Shack made (many for button start only). You have to keep your eyes peeled but they can be found used in decent shape on that on-line auction site.  Your motor is not going to like you for going with that OE style 2-into1. Seriously.

waltcentral

Quote from: billbuilds on April 17, 2019, 04:15:46 AM
      Does your bike have a kicker? You can still run your floorboards with some of the staggered dual exhaust pipes that Cycle Shack made (many for button start only). You have to keep your eyes peeled but they can be found used in decent shape on that on-line auction site.  Your motor is not going to like you for going with that OE style 2-into1. Seriously.

Without sounding confrontational tell what you know.
I was also considering going with a Supertrapp universal megaphone.
I will look out for cycle shack on EBAY.

billbuilds

Quote from: waltcentral on April 17, 2019, 11:42:12 AM
Quote from: billbuilds on April 17, 2019, 04:15:46 AM

Without sounding confrontational tell what you know.
I was also considering going with a Supertrapp universal megaphone.
I will look out for cycle shack on EBAY.

What I know? Burnout pretty much summed it up. It's your bike and your money. You can obviously do as you please.

Burnout

I made a 2:1 from a factory pipe, I only had to rework the front part because the motor is a stroker and has tall cylinders.

Clears the floor boards fine and a kicker.

The back half was an EVO merge and collector.

I made it from this muffler

waltcentral

I respect Nightrider to to report the facts. I stand corrected, the stock HD 2-1 system is horrible in this report.

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/exhaust_test_01.htm

waltcentral

Burnout, that pipe is a thing of beauty. Nicely done!

waltcentral

I just found that RB Racing will build a Shovel Dresser 2-1 system. I will talk to our parts Mgr. about signing up to be dealer tomorrow. Their part number is 00-1104 2-1 with baffle chrome.

76shuvlinoff

April 19, 2019, 02:01:00 PM #18 Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 02:09:31 PM by 76shuvlinoff
Quote from: waltcentral on April 18, 2019, 04:20:27 PM
I just found that RB Racing will build a Shovel Dresser 2-1 system. I will talk to our parts Mgr. about signing up to be dealer tomorrow. Their part number is 00-1104 2-1 with baffle chrome.

I put a Thunderheader on mine by spacing the right floorboard and rear master cylinder out 7/8". I had to modify the rear support for the floorboard to fit between the head pipes,  could've probably fabbed one to come around the bottom of the pipe and back up.  I shortened the push rod for the master cyl and repositioned the brake pedal by welding up the return stop, then blacksmithed a stainless rod and bolted it to the floorboard to keep my heel off the T-Header.
[attach=0,msg1293158]
[attach=1,msg1293158]
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

waltcentral

Sweet!,      I called Supertrapp today and they will  a shovel dresser pipe. I always liked Supertrapp. It's nice being able to tune the discs to work.
Their polished stainless a very light also. Don't sound like a thunderheader though.

Burnout

Does the Supertrapp rear header pipe wrap around the cam cover?
This is important because it needs the length.
The pipes like a Pro Pipe don't do that and the rear pipe is too short.

motorhead_smf

I made both these pipes using cone engineering mufflers and merge collectors.  The one on the 68 was designed not as much for performance because the engine shape makes for fewer options but I do try to get the rear pipe a little longer than most other 2 into 1's  like the one you posted originally.  It still works great for a 96 inch striker with compression.  The biggest fallback to those posted pipes is the collector IMO.  The 98 inch in the rear I built stepped up to 1 7/8, and I payed special attention to trying to match the head pope lengths, and the muffler is bigger, maybe too big but I'm still breaking the motor in so I don't know.  Works well but is loud.

Burnout

Nice handiwork!  Beats the snot out of drag pipes!

Speaking of Drags there was a Harley class at Woodburn this weekend, even a chopper!

motorhead_smf

Quote from: Burnout on April 28, 2019, 09:23:08 PM
Nice handiwork!  Beats the snot out of drag pipes!

Speaking of Drags there was a Harley class at Woodburn this weekend, even a chopper!

I've always been a fan of the way 2 into 1's run and look.  On most bikes anyway.