March 28, 2024, 01:37:31 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Hayden primary chain tensioner

Started by 7125, January 06, 2019, 02:32:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi install one in my 2017 trike  rode 125 miles today big  improvement

1FSTRK

Can you tell us what you think it is doing for you that the factory auto adjuster did not do?
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

when i open it up had a 1/2 play in chain    no play now and clunk going into first is a lot better  just over all smoother

1FSTRK

Could you see why the stock one had not adjusted? Was it dirty or wedged in some way?
Odd to have one not adjust with the last design.

No Cents

let me see if I'm understanding you correctly.
You say you had 1/2" chain deflection on the top of the chain with the factory tensioner...and the Hayden made it tighter?
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Coyote

Quote from: No Cents on January 06, 2019, 03:57:15 PM
You say you had 1/2" chain deflection on the top of the chain with the factory tensioner...and the Hayden made it tighter?

:oops:

kd

KD

koko3052

rbabos

Quote from: No Cents on January 06, 2019, 03:57:15 PM
I think he means 1/2" free play the old school method, not counting the 3/8-1/2 offered by the shoe springs. That would make it very loose. Detectable free play without compressing the shoe spring should be in the 3/16 range or a total of about 5/8" all in.
Ron

HD/Wrench

the spring loaded POS allows the chain to BOUNCE full amount of travel none stop . 

Ever see a car or truck with bad shocks  :hyst: :hyst:

rbabos

Quote from: GMR-PERFORMANCE on January 07, 2019, 08:25:40 AM
the spring loaded POS allows the chain to BOUNCE full amount of travel none stop . 

Ever see a car or truck with bad shocks  :hyst: :hyst:
Yes but for some reason,  some like the damn things. Terrible design in my opinion.
Ron

1FSTRK

Never underestimate the power of sugar pills.  :wink:

HD/Wrench

Quote from: 1FSTRK on January 07, 2019, 09:10:55 AM
Never underestimate the power of sugar pills.  :wink:

:hyst: :hyst: Yes I guess you are correct . 

Buglet

Who's on the sugar pill the guy that says it work for him or the guy that says it no good.

HD/Wrench

anyone  that says it better than the OEM unit , would be my statement .

It fails on design alone , You cannot use a spring in that application without a dampener system .  The spring will be compressed and it will release its stored energy . This will happen over and over and with that you have much more chain deflection than stock . Easy to see this by just grabbing the chain and pulling it with both factory and hayden.

The new primary has less room up front and on every one I have seen I can see where the chain has made contact . Now sure you can shim it further , Ok so now the load and un load process only gets more violent as you have increased preload on the spring and it snaps back faster .

Lets take it one step further and talk about HD and their blatant disregard for patents . If it works so sell why did they not use it ??  Cost wise its much easier to manufacture ,   

I think I will stick with my first answer anyone that feels they are a better option than the OEM   .

:up:

rbabos

Quote from: GMR-PERFORMANCE on January 10, 2019, 09:09:09 AM
anyone  that says it better than the OEM unit , would be my statement .

It fails on design alone , You cannot use a spring in that application without a dampener system .  The spring will be compressed and it will release its stored energy . This will happen over and over and with that you have much more chain deflection than stock . Easy to see this by just grabbing the chain and pulling it with both factory and hayden.

The new primary has less room up front and on every one I have seen I can see where the chain has made contact . Now sure you can shim it further , Ok so now the load and un load process only gets more violent as you have increased preload on the spring and it snaps back faster .

Lets take it one step further and talk about HD and their blatant disregard for patents . If it works so sell why did they not use it ??  Cost wise its much easier to manufacture ,   

I think I will stick with my first answer anyone that feels they are a better option than the OEM   .

:up:
What's your point? :kick:
Ron

PoorUB

You guys are way too funny....in a said sort of way! :potstir:
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Timber0472

Hey guys, not to hyjack this thread but have any of you had or heard of these tensioners causing vibrations? I have another thread about this but I think Ive isolated my vibes to the primary. I have the oem tensioner and I have checked everything (exhaust, cam chest, wheels, and suspension & mounts...nothing). Did a few hard downshifts and they went away...

Hillside Motorcycle

Threw the towel in on those Hayden units back in the Shovel days.
Had another one in 2 weeks ago with a broken spring.
Replaced the spring with one of more pressure.
Those units are junk.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"