April 16, 2024, 03:55:43 AM

News:

Custom camshaft, available grinding companies?

Started by NCTURBOS, February 03, 2018, 07:09:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCTURBOS

A few years ago I had Andrews grind me a one-off gear drive camshaft set for my '00 Twin-Cam turbo Softail. The single set cost me somewhere in the neighborhood of $500 IIRC, and if I chose to have multiple sets done, the price per set would be less expensive. There was no reason to have multiple sets done, as I wasn't 100% sure how well these would work, and if I would change the design or not. Plus, I only have one turbo bike...

Fast forward... I now have a couple other designs I'd like to try in my bike, again only needing one set of each made.

My question is, who else grinds gear drive camshaft sets? I'm looking for a possible less expensive option, as $500 per set can get expensive for R&D on something for just one bike!

TIA,

K.
-Boosted 95" B... 160.75-hp & 141.55-tq, 93-octane
-2017 FLTRXS... Stock

build it

Based on cost concerns I'd call Comp and see what they say.
Get the principles down first, they'll never change.

Ohio HD

Gear drive cams from T-man, Zippers, Cycle Rama are going to run you $370 to $390, and this for production cams. I don't really see where Andrews asking $500 for a one of a kind is really out of line. Sure if I can get them for less elsewhere, why not. I just would be surprised if anyone does a one per lot custom cams for much less.

stogieluvr60

Quote from: NCTURBOS on February 03, 2018, 07:09:36 AM
A few years ago I had Andrews grind me a one-off gear drive camshaft set for my '00 Twin-Cam turbo Softail. The single set cost me somewhere in the neighborhood of $500 IIRC, and if I chose to have multiple sets done, the price per set would be less expensive. There was no reason to have multiple sets done, as I wasn't 100% sure how well these would work, and if I would change the design or not. Plus, I only have one turbo bike...

Fast forward... I now have a couple other designs I'd like to try in my bike, again only needing one set of each made.

My question is, who else grinds gear drive camshaft sets? I'm looking for a possible less expensive option, as $500 per set can get expensive for R&D on something for just one bike!

TIA,

K.
Contact JC at JW Performance http://jwperf.com/ ...he had custom cams made for me per his design that were ground by Lunati...he can definitely point you in the right direction...superb head porter as well!

Don D

There is a connection between Lunati and CompCams

Ohio HD

Quote from: Ohio HD on February 03, 2018, 08:17:46 AM
Gear drive cams from T-man, Zippers, Cycle Rama are going to run you $370 to $390, and this for production cams. I don't really see where Andrews asking $500 for a one of a kind is really out of line. Sure if I can get them for less elsewhere, why not. I just would be surprised if anyone does a one per lot custom cams for much less.

Added: A recent conversation with TR about getting one of his chain drive cams made into a gear drive. He said Andrews doesn't like to do that unless there is a lot of three or more. Otherwise a quantity of one falls into the custom cam price.

sfmichael

Quote from: Ohio HD on February 03, 2018, 08:17:46 AM

that seems very reasonable to me   :nix:

I expected it would be more...
Colorado Springs, CO.

PoorUB

Me too! I see guys here paying 3/4ths of that for production cams. I would be interested in seeing if anyone does them for less.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

TorQuePimp

Talk to black widow

Comp nor lunati have cores or fixtures for grinding gear drive cams
Gear drive cams are ground different

prodrag1320

Don D

I think S&S will grind customs in gear drive and even EZ start if that is wanted

No Cents

Quote from: prodrag1320 on February 04, 2018, 05:24:10 AM
lienweber

:agree:   
Lieneweber will grind you anything you want...but it is a custom part and it will come with a price increase over a shelved item.
S&S will also do it.
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Ohio HD

I had heard that Jim Leinweber was going to retire, and his son Justin was going to take over the operation. I have no idea how versed Justin is in HD cams, he races, and has a Bonneville record, but on a Triumph motor based bike.

build it

Quote from: HD Street Performance on February 04, 2018, 06:58:11 AM
I think S&S will grind customs in gear drive and even EZ start if that is wanted

He's doing R&D in a bad ass turbo setup and trying save a little coin; S&S custom is not even a consideration.

NC, the HD tax is bullshit, I feel for you man.

No Cents

Quote from: Ohio HD on February 04, 2018, 02:44:36 PM
I had heard that Jim Leinweber was going to retire, and his son Justin was going to take over the operation. I have no idea how versed Justin is in HD cams, he races, and has a Bonneville record, but on a Triumph motor based bike.

I don't think the apple fell far from the tree.  :wink:

1FSTRK

"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

Hossamania

I need one of those! No idea how to run it, but I need it.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Hillside Motorcycle

Used Comp Cams in the past with great results.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

sfmichael

Colorado Springs, CO.

TorQuePimp

Quote from: TorQuePimp on February 04, 2018, 05:18:33 AM
Talk to black widow

Comp nor lunati have cores or fixtures for grinding gear drive cams
Gear drive cams are ground different

And

ndmp40

Call Craig at Lockwood Engineering / Black Widow. 

Gerry Smith

Check with the Guys selling gear drive cam that goes into turbo bikes. They all spent the money and tried out the grind they thought would work. They spent the $500.00 for one cam and tested it. Save your money and buy one of there cams. :banghead:
Just do it while you can.

build it

Quote from: Gerry Smith on February 07, 2018, 04:47:57 AM
Check with the Guys selling gear drive cam that goes into turbo bikes. They all spent the money and tried out the grind they thought would work. They spent the $500.00 for one cam and tested it. Save your money and buy one of there cams. :banghead:

Gerry, NC is doing research and development and trying to reduce costs, not pay for someone else's knowledge.

NCTURBOS

Quote from: Gerry Smith on February 07, 2018, 04:47:57 AM

Who are the guys you're speaking of? I've been involved with turbocharged applications (automotive) for over 25-years, and I have yet to see a Harley vendor offer an adequate turbocharged application camshaft... Just my opinion.

K.
-2017 FLTRXS... Stock

NCTURBOS

I appreciate the responses gentlemen... I have some homework to do, and some phone calls to make.

I believe I did OK with my first design turbo application camshaft that is currently installed in the bike, but know I can do better. Always striving...

I'm expecting 200+ Hp out of my little 95" this spring, as-is with the addition of E85 & more boost, and then I'm going to make a few changes.

K.
-2017 FLTRXS... Stock

No Cents

have you thought about talking to Frank Drago?
I know he is in to the boosted bikes big time. He builds and tunes a lot of them. I think he even has a few custom cams that he has had ground for the boosted applications.

Don D

They are local to me. I look elsewhere unless it is a vintage restoration. Not the guys to be designing profiles and properly timing the events for this special application. Personally considering the goal I would use a cam designer to create the lobes and specifications and then have Andrews grind it.

sfmichael

Quote from: No Cents on February 08, 2018, 06:26:49 PM
  have you thought about talking to Frank Drago?
I know he is in to the boosted bikes big time. He builds and tunes a lot of them. I think he even has a few custom cams that he has had ground for the boosted applications.

used Drago's on a boosted bike we did at the dealer - seemed to work very well

made 200hp
Colorado Springs, CO.

HD/Wrench

Also  If you find a GD cam you could have it re ground . Not sure if there is savings there but its an option ( if you find a cam that will work meaning close enough with enough room to do what you want )