April 19, 2024, 10:05:46 PM

News:

117" Renew

Started by Ohio HD, February 25, 2018, 05:42:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohio HD

I'm getting ready to go over the 117" I pulled out of my '08 touring bike, and make a nice torquer motor for my '09 touring bike. This is the 117" I bought from Ray.

Plans are a new set of heads, I have a brand new set of 110+ heads going out to make them, well, new. And will use Red Shift 657 cams. After I get it apart, I'll inspect the DH lower end, see how it's doing, it has about 40k+ miles on it. Once the heads are done I can order the domed CP pistons, bore the cylinders, and if the lower end is tight, and I expect it is, put her in the '09 bike, then out for a tune.

[attach=0]

[attach=1]

[attachimg=3]

Hossamania

Can I ride it when you're done?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Ohio HD

Hossamania

Hossamania

It looks to be one hell of a good runner. Have fun with it. I'll have to enjoy it vicariously through you!

No Cents

I was hoping Brian would just drop that 117" back off next to the barn when he was done with it.   :embarrassed:
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Ohio HD

I will, when I'm done with it.         :wink:

Hossamania

Ohio HD

kd

Get out the disco shoes Hoss.  :soda:
KD

Ohio HD

First of all, anyone that has a pair of those, well they can't ride anyway. So, NO!

Hossamania

Tough crowd. That chart definitely keeps me off the ride.
And I haven't had disco shoes since The Bee Gees stopped being on the charts. But I looked good in them with my polyester bell bottoms.

HD/Wrench

Pic or it never happened  :hyst: :hyst:

No Cents

:hyst:
come on Hoss...give us the goods. Post a pic.
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Hossamania

The good old days of film, 110 Instamatic camera. I would have to dig deep through some old boxes to find some pics, then destroy them. No way they go on the web. I have a reputation to uphold.

shovelbill

Quote from: Hossamania on February 26, 2018, 10:29:59 AM
The good old days of film, 110 Instamatic camera. I would have to dig deep through some old boxes to find some pics, then destroy them. No way they go on the web. I have a reputation to uphold.

with the cube flash bulbs?
build it, bust it.....figure out why

Hossamania

Quote from: shovelbill on February 26, 2018, 11:24:56 AM
Quote from: Hossamania on February 26, 2018, 10:29:59 AM

with the cube flash bulbs?

That's the one! I had the 2" extension to raise the flashbulb to prevent red eye in the photo.
Still have my parents Olympus 35 mm camera from the 50's, nice camera, you guess on the distance to focus it. The big round foil flashbulb unit for that one. My father preferred slides over photographs, still have a bunch of them in the old box cartridges for the projector.

harley_cruiser

What CI when done? Are you going for HP or torque?

Hossamania

Quote from: Harley_Cruiser Rocker Lockers on February 26, 2018, 02:35:30 PM

Thank you for getting this back on point.

Ohio HD

Quote from: Harley_Cruiser Rocker Lockers on February 26, 2018, 02:35:30 PM

It'll still be a 117, but I guess technically a 117.5" as it'll be 0.010" over. This will probably be pretty well balanced, but the emphases will be on torque. As it is it's 136 HP and 127 TQ when Ray built it. I expect to be reversed a little, a little more TQ than HP, and the TQ come in sooner than it does now. It'll be interesting to see what these cams do. They're characteristics should be similar to T-Man 662-1, that are no longer available.

Heads went by brown truck today to Larry's, he's making cylinder heads great again!     :chop:

TorQuePimp

Curious minds

Got something special planned for the new heads ?

Wondering why not reusing the originals.....that no question worked really well

Ohio HD

They would need going over, as they have 40k+ miles. I'll just set them aside for another project, and have the 110+ heads "fixed". Larry did the old 110 heads as well, for Ray.

Ohio HD

Dusting off this older post of mine. Larry finished with my heads, and a stellar job he did. So next step is order pistons to set the compression for the Red Shift 657 cams. My thoughts were to set the static compression to 11.2:1, and that "should" give about a 205 to 210 ccp +/-.
Has any one that has used a Red Shift 657 share what compression you set it at, and how it was at that compression? I plan to speak to Zippers one day next week, but like to ask here for some additional real world experience with those cams. 

Here's the heads, snagged the pics from Larry. They rock and roll.    :up:

[attach=0]

[attach=1]

[attachimg=3]

rageglide

lolz I saw those pics earlier.  Nice to know where they're going.   That 117" always sounded like a real good runner.

You should send the "wore out" heads to Larry... just for fun and as a bench mark.  Or not.    My 120" rolled 144/133 and i have absolutely no idea what the flow numbers are  :-/  But it gets it done and are probably comparable to your wore out heads. 

Going to watch what happens here with interest.   :pop:

Barrett

That should rock-n-roll.. I don't have any numbers on my Star heads either.
I'm sure they'll work fine but I kinda want to know.
My shortblock will be ready to pickup next week.
What TB and injectors are you going with?