April 25, 2024, 01:38:40 AM

News:

117" Renew

Started by Ohio HD, February 25, 2018, 05:42:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohio HD

If you run across them Ray, please send them to me.

No Cents

I'll go out in the barn in the morning and see if I can find it.
I saved the invoice on the computer...but it just has a list of the parts used and the price.
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

No Cents

maybe some of this will help.  :nix:

[attach=0]

Ohio HD

Thanks, I do have that, you sent that to me when I got the motor from you.

I may just have John rebuild whats already there. It took a heck of a beating for the past 40k miles. It's not like it was highway cruising miles.    :embarrassed:

He also has a Man-O-War 4-3/8 crank. I have the 4-5/8 version in the 124". 

No Cents

I know my 124 has taken a serious beating on it this year. I run the dog snot out of it every time I ride it.
I will probably retire this engine after this season.

1workinman

Quote from: Ohio HD on July 05, 2018, 06:37:43 PM

I may just have John rebuild whats already there. It took a heck of a beating for the past 40k miles. It's not like it was highway cruising miles.    :embarrassed:

well i just asking as i like to learn. I know Dark Horse does great work , . Sir is the Man O War crank the perfer crank from Dark Horse .
. I like your attention to detail also . I meant no disrespect toward DH , just like to learn from these discussions thanks jim

Ohio HD

Quote from: 1workinman on July 06, 2018, 08:05:41 AM
Quote from: Ohio HD on July 05, 2018, 06:37:43 PM

well i just asking as i like to learn. I know Dark Horse does great work , . Sir is the Man O War crank the perfer crank from Dark Horse .
. I like your attention to detail also . I meant no disrespect toward DH , just like to learn from these discussions thanks jim

No worries at all, I just wanted to be clear to all that I wasn't insinuating that the Darkhorse's crank was in any way failed. This is basically an HD crank rebuilt, and DH added their H-beam rods. And this motor has had a hard run life.

The Man O War crank is made from S&S flywheels and shafts John had told me, but using DH rods and I assume their own crank pin. Then fit to their tolerances. Here's the 4-3/8 flywheel listed on their site. I assume they only stock the 4-3/8 and the 4-5/8 is all custom built.

To me one of the huge things that sets DH apart is they have really good customer service. John has been extremely helpful when ever I had questions and concerns.

https://storehobanbros.mysimplestore.com/products/smnauajm4u

turboprop

Just to add to the Darkhorse Cranks are indestructible discussion, I had a clutch basket crack in half this summer while doing about 90. Split the primary case wide open, broke the chain in two places, immediately locked up the engine, trans main shaft was bent up very bad. The Darkhorse Man-O-War crank measured the same runout as it did when I assembled it. Amazing.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Ohio HD

July 06, 2018, 09:02:27 AM #83 Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 09:37:46 AM by Ohio HD
I remember when that happened, and there was a concern that the crank took a hit. There are probably three to four great options as far as building a crank for an HD. DH just happens to be who I've heard the most positive comments about, and now my own experiences with their products and their service has made them my go to guys for cranks.

Off subject a little, but a few years back I had contacted John about the possibility of DH making an inline rod, HD style crank to replace a side by side rod Power House 114 crank. I gave him some pertinent measurements and info. In the end the motor owner elected to use the original crank, and source the specially offset pistons. But DH was not shying away from a completely custom crank. Not many places will or can do that.

[attach=0]

[attach=1]

[attachimg=3]

Ohio HD

Back on topic. The motor is down to the case and crank. Considering the miles and the way it was ridden, everything looks pretty darn good. Cylinders look decent, just a slight scuff on the thrust side, but not very bad at all. Pistons look ok, some scuffing again on the thrust sides. Being these are forged, and probably were setup at 0.0025" not too bad. Rocker shafts and rocker bushings look good and feel tight. Lower end, the rods feel great, no loosnes detected, no twist, slight side to side on the front rod, really nothing on the rear. I haven't checked any clearances as I'm waiting to speak to Darkhorse to get their specs. Oil pump looks like new, seriously. Cam plate has some normal scuffing at the cam gear and thrust washer areas. Bushings all feel good, nice smooth fit on the cams. Pinion bushing doesn't rock on the pinion shaft.

Will order pistons next week, speak to John at DH to see what he thinks, then will move forward once the pistons come, probably 3 to 4 weeks for them.

[attach=0]

[attach=1]

Ohio HD

[attach=0]

[attach=1]

pwmorris

Quote from: turboprop on July 06, 2018, 08:46:41 AM
Just to add to the Darkhorse Cranks are indestructible discussion, I had a clutch basket crack in half this summer while doing about 90. Split the primary case wide open, broke the chain in two places, immediately locked up the engine, trans main shaft was bent up very bad. The Darkhorse Man-O-War crank measured the same runout as it did when I assembled it. Amazing.
:up: :up:
Two 200 plus HP motors with the DH seal of approval...
Nuff said...

turboprop

Quote from: pwmorris on July 06, 2018, 08:41:03 PM
Quote from: turboprop on July 06, 2018, 08:46:41 AM
:up: :up:
Two 200 plus HP motors with the DH seal of approval...
Nuff said...

My red bike is only 158, but maybe some day.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

No Cents

Brian...I had no luck yesterday finding the tag with the run out measurements on it. I've put it some where...I just don't know where. I'll keep looking. I'll probably find it when I'm not looking for it. That's the way it usually goes for me.   :hyst:

Those pistons still look pretty good for the miles they had on them.  :up:

Ohio HD

The whole motor looks really good for 40k miles. And not highway miles, all types of riding. Had I not wanted to do something different, it would still be together being used. No worries on the tag. I'll get John's opinion as to what he thinks the best route is.

Ohio HD

Life has been getting in the way, it does that. But then today I feel like a kid at Christmas. I received a box today from Calif Phil, with two letters on it, S&S. A new pump and cam plate for the 117" renew. And then I felt like I was talking to Santa Clause because I was able to speak to Randy Torgeson after he returned from his trip out east, and got a set of pistons on order. So they will be a bit before they get here.

I have everything else, cams, lifters, heads, gaskets, seals, new breathers, new TB, etc., just need to send the crank to DH when I get the pistons in and weighed, and at the same time have Bill fit the pistons to the cylinders.

Like a Christmas present
[attach=0]

[attach=1]

Ohio HD

Quote from: Barrett on July 01, 2018, 09:41:20 AM
What's the difference between the CVO110 vs 110+ ?
The 110+ heads use the same valve sizes that the MVA heads use. I think they can accommodate up to 0.660" lift out of the box, CVO heads can't. What was explained to me was the 110+ heads came first, the MVA was after, and improved. Both need work to make them as good as they can be, as most HD heads do.

Ohio HD

Bill brought my cylinders over, they look great, as all of his work does.

It's all coming slow, life keeps getting in the way.

[attach=0]

[attach=1]

[attach=2]