April 18, 2024, 06:33:03 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

ANDREWS 26H OR CRANE 300-2 ROAD GLIDE 103 ?

Started by Trev T, September 09, 2018, 05:33:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trev T

finishing a 103 cam change with .030 gaskets. removed heads to check deck/cc's. I now have .036 squish and 9.85 static comp. The 2 cams I have (300-2 & 26H) are very close in specifications. I am leaning to the 300's. both sets are new and lifters are also new(850-1). run 2200-2700 cruising with 15% spirited riding.  Any advice from builders would be appreciated. Not looking to get another set of cams, head work etc.. appreciate any input.

Wasn't the crane 300 for early model twin cams??? Late model was 6000 or 3000... if I remember correctly,.

Trev T

It is the 1-6000 for late model twin cam. I usually see it referred to as the 300-2. 

Hillside Motorcycle

9.7 cr is the cap here for the 26, but it'll take a tick more.
My vote is the 26.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Anybody ever put either of these cams on stilts?

1FSTRK

"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

Trev T

exhaust is screamin eagle high flow with street cannons, baffles have been replaced with 2" stainless perf. tuning device is direct-link (maximus) and A/C is a ventilator with k&n. picked up the exhaust for less than the cost of the mufflers alone and removed all the junk(cats and decibel killers)and replaced with 2" LA choppers baffle.       

Hillside Motorcycle

Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Trev T

juice worth the squeeze? exhaust/cams? expand on that if you could.

Quote from: 838 on September 12, 2018, 07:26:47 AM
Quote from: Scott P on September 12, 2018, 02:45:03 AM
Quote from: 838 on September 11, 2018, 04:24:06 PM
Anybody ever put either of these cams on stilts?

Intake side, yes.

For the OP, would the juice be worth the squeeze?

I was asking Scott P if going through the effort of installing 1.725 rocker arms was worth the time and effort. If it was, then that might be an option to go along with your cam choice.

Hillside Motorcycle

To add at the point of initial build is not how we approach that, BUT, if the client has say a 26, or say an S&S .570 as examples, is making a move with the engine, then yes at that point the cam can receive a boost via rockers.
2-3 degree duration, .030" lift increase as per Crane Cams engineer's.

Trev T

Thank you Scott and 838 for your input and interest. Dyno is scheduled for week of 10/8. I will post the results when finished.

Quote from: TREV T on September 17, 2018, 05:57:00 PM
Thank you Scott and 838 for your input and interest. Dyno is scheduled for week of 10/8. I will post the results when finished.

Which cam did you end up choosing?

Did you dyno?

sfmichael

I haven't used either one but on paper the 300-2 looks better to me.

I think I'd like to see the compression just a little higher but I think it will do well.

I'd throw some 1.7 rockers on the intake side while I was in there.
Colorado Springs, CO.

Quote from: sfmichael on November 15, 2018, 09:59:50 PM

I think I'd like to see the compression just a little higher but I think it will do well.

You might have found your  "mighty mouse" build.

sfmichael

Quote from: 838 on November 16, 2018, 01:02:13 PM
Quote from: sfmichael on November 15, 2018, 09:59:50 PM

You might have found your  "mighty mouse" build.

haha...this sounds like one  :chop:

I've built a couple mighty mouses since I made that avatar signature  :soda:

I have an '03 Deuce that's been built to a 95" with old school Andrews 44 cams, 1.7 rockers on the intake, Kury 57mm throttle body, and ported '06 heads. Runs pretty good.

Also built a '13 Street Glide 103" with cams, heads, t/body & exhaust - and it runs well too. It's on it's second set of cams and I have a third set ready to go in. Glutton for punishment I guess  :teeth:

Wish I lived close to an ace tuner - I'd wear the bolts out on these. The best tuners I know of are all 800+ miles from me. :-/
Colorado Springs, CO.

rigidthumper

Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

sfmichael

Quote from: rigidthumper on November 18, 2018, 07:08:47 AM
I can't believe you haven't purchased a dyno :)

the thought has crossed my mind, I think I would enjoy tuning bikes

my car repair shop keeps me plenty busy and even though dynos are pretty expensive, the real estate around here is the real limiting factor

I wish I was younger, I'd probably take the plunge - Colorado Springs metro population is around 700,000 and no competent tuners that I know of here

Colorado Springs, CO.

Trev T

Installed the 26 cams, wanted to put a few miles on it before the dyno. set up the auto-tune and headed out for 40-50 miles., power felt strong then fell off, something was off. looked over the tune seemed off. I had expected 192-194 psi for comp so let it cool to 125-130 on the heads and checked. I am pretty sure 205-208 (F+R) may be a bit high for the 26's I of course blamed the tester. 2 other testers with 3 separate gauges fixed that thought. set it up on the trusty dyna and sure enough 185 just like it always has. After some thought I ordered a NIB set of andrews 44H cams. 1FSTRK had a good post from 11/15 about them and numbers seemed good. It is only labor and a few gaskets so why not. Runs really good just with some auto tune miles, great pull and great idle. Dyno will happen before the holidays. comp is at 192-194 now.

Trev T

March 21, 2019, 04:23:42 PM #20 Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 04:28:43 PM by TREV T
This is the dyno chart after it was tuned.  [attach=0,msg1288345] bike runs great and pulls hard in the normal and aggressive ranges. Idle is light chop and bike runs very cool with 40-42mpg. I know these are not popular cams and I was interested after reading 1FSTRK's posting on these.   

Don D

The popularity of the cam is not the primary driving force. The system! Sum of the parts. In this case an exhaust is holding this build back. If high early torque is the goal then nothing needs to be changed, you got that.

sixxfoot

One of my fav dyno sheets .... not a lot of fans for the exhaust used but the pipe del where it counts...  I love the e-pipes, been running them 20 years now ....don't mean to hijack the post.
The bottle ain't the blame ....it just lets you ...Mike Cooley DBT

happyman

ran the 300-2 in a 2010  ultra limited. ran good and worked very well  with the  stock heads  fuel mot header and the SE muffs with the disks  actually 13 in each.    got 93 hp and 100 ft lbs  motor ran  cool.
  TTS tuner.

sfmichael

Colorado Springs, CO.