April 16, 2024, 02:51:48 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

camplate/pump...Thayer vs S&S blue

Started by HighLiner, October 18, 2018, 06:31:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HighLiner

Always heard good things about Thayer but how does the s&s blue compare?

planemech

I don't know about the S&S parts but my experience with Dan is that if you have problems he will go out of his way to get you fixed up. Im interested to see what some of the replys will be on this subject.

Quote from: HighLiner on October 18, 2018, 06:31:12 PM
Always heard good things about Thayer but how does the s&s blue compare?

Nastytls

I have the Thayer plate/pump.

I'd rather support the small businessman than the company that shamelessly stole his idea.

turboprop

I have used both plates several times. Emotions and loyalties aside, the differences are pretty obvious just form looking at the top level specs for each, ie one is billet, the other is forged. One has an externally adjustable pressure release valve, the other does not. Right out of the box the forged plate has much less leakage than the billet plate (measured with air, not oil). Unfortunately, too many of the responses here will be from people either repeating what they have read online or based on emotion. I suggest you look at the published information from both companies and form your own opinion.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

BVHOG

They both work well, Thayer pump has smaller gears but still more than capable, The blue has an inlet screen to keep big trash out of the scavenge side and an adjustable relief valve.  I have used both and they both work well.  Emotions aside the real story is pretty obvious. One has a patent number on it and the blue one has a part number.   That makes one an innovator and one a thief.
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

No Cents

Quote from: BVHOG on October 19, 2018, 07:16:02 AM
They both work well, Thayer pump has smaller gears but still more than capable, The blue has an inlet screen to keep big trash out of the scavenge side and an adjustable relief valve.  I have used both and they both work well.  Emotions aside the real story is pretty obvious. One has a patent number on it and the blue one has a part number.   That makes one an innovator and one a thief.

:agree:   :up:
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Deye76

"one an innovator and one a thief."

When STD, S&S, House of Horsepower, Delkron, came out with alternative crankcases, all could be considered thieves, but welcome to anyone who wasn't satisfied with the marginal innovator. Just sayin'.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

BVHOG

Quote from: Deye76 on October 19, 2018, 04:53:29 PM
"one an innovator and one a thief."

When STD, S&S, House of Horsepower, Delkron, came out with alternative crankcases, all could be considered thieves, but welcome to anyone who wasn't satisfied with the marginal innovator. Just sayin'.

So you consider the Thayer plate/pump marginal ?   So tell us why
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

Deye76

October 20, 2018, 05:10:45 AM #8 Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 05:15:03 AM by Deye76
"So you consider the Thayer plate/pump marginal ?"

Not at all, but many consider the shovel & evo factory crankcases marginal when increasing power.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

prodrag1320

calling S&S thieves is ludicrous,by far the most innovative company in HD performance history.their blue pump & the Thayer pump/plate are two different animals.(the Thayer & S&S crate unit are along the same lines,but still different enough) 99% of builds would never show any benefits from the Thayer or S&S propriety unit

rbabos

Quote from: BVHOG on October 19, 2018, 07:16:02 AM
Does that actually happen? :banghead:
Ron

Pirsch Fire Wagon

S&S (other than being sold and bought back decades ago) was the original aftermarket go to for harley Davidson Parts and Accessories. S&S is an excellent retailer.

That Being Said, necessity is the Mother of Invention. That, in and of itself is commendable.

I have used both Theyer and S&S. Both have positive and negatives from my view point. However, they manufacture for the Masses and not just me.

In this case, research is both your friend and answer to your question. In the end, you alone will make the decision.

Often questions like this can be summed up in a comparison: Which is better? Chevy or Ford? More opinionated than factual in any response. Those who prefer S&S will likely tell you S&S. And, visa-versa.
Tom

1FSTRK

Quote from: PIRSCH FIRE WAGON on October 20, 2018, 07:13:45 AM

I have used both Theyer and S&S. Both have positive and negatives from my view point. 

So from your point of view what specifically are the positives and negatives of each one?
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

No Cents

Quote from: 1FSTRK on October 21, 2018, 09:08:11 AM
Quote from: PIRSCH FIRE WAGON on October 20, 2018, 07:13:45 AM

I have used both Theyer and S&S. Both have positive and negatives from my view point. 

So from your point of view what specifically are the positives and negatives of each one?

:pop:
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Don D

I have used and sold both. How can we critique two products that are both very functional, and high quality. I think the S&S may have one small pro. It holds stronger oil pressure at idle. Lifters like this. So buy your conscience if you want but understand there is room at the top of the heap for two (or more)

1FSTRK

Quote from: HD Street Performance on October 21, 2018, 05:40:34 PM
I have used and sold both. How can we critique two products that are both very functional, and high quality. I think the S&S may have one small pro. It holds stronger oil pressure at idle. Lifters like this. So buy your conscience if you want but understand there is room at the top of the heap for two (or more)

So in a back to back test with a Thayer the S&S had more pressure at an idle, how many psi?
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

koko3052

I would also like to know this as I have 20 psi at idle & 50 psi at cruise running Castrol 20/50 and at 180 degree oil temp., with standard HD  '07 pump & camplate. :potstir:

Buglet

If you really want to know which is better I would call both Thayer and S&S and see what they have to say about there pump, I think they can give you the best answers. Then you can decide from there.

Hillside Motorcycle

Both work fine, and have used both on many occasions, but I do believe that in spite of the large business relationship with S&S, they should be mailing royalty checks to the Corfu, NY address.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

turboprop

FWIW - Ron Dickey and Dan Baisley set a world record at Bonneville using the oem pump and plate that came from the factory in '02 Dyna donor bike.

koko3052

Quote from: BUGLET on October 22, 2018, 05:49:21 AM
    If you really want to know which is better I would call both Thayer and S&S and see what they have to say about there pump, I think they can give you the best answers. Then you can decide from there.

And after those conversations.....the very same question will be asked! :hyst:

turboprop

This subject might as well be put in the same 'taste great/less filing' category as oil and TC lifters. Maybe have a new member dust it off by asking the same question every six months or so.

Fueling and a some other companies have been very vocal about proclaiming that using their cam plates will result in better oiling, lower temps, etc. But i have never seen anything close to a clinical A-B-C comparison that supports their claim. Not that I give a "Potty mouth", but without clinical numbers to support it , those claims are little more than marketing hype that have been validated by consumers claiming that what they bought is the best. Anyways, very little technical substance in this thread. Probably time to put it away for six months.

Don D

So a 3 stage pump is of no benefit? FWIW Dan Thayer has also run Bonneville or supported an entry, not sure, and he told me they run 32lbs pressure.

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: turboprop on October 22, 2018, 06:29:32 AM
FWIW - Ron Dickey and Dan Baisley set a world record at Bonneville using the oem pump and plate that came from the factory in '02 Dyna donor bike.

And yes, there is a lot of good to be said, about the OEM plate, and OEM pump. :up: :up:
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Hossamania

Quote from: Scott P on October 22, 2018, 08:14:31 AM
Quote from: turboprop on October 22, 2018, 06:29:32 AM

And yes, there is a lot of good to be said, about the OEM plate, and OEM pump. :up: :up:

Mine has held up for 112,000 miles so far.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.