March 29, 2024, 04:03:08 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

2007 Ultra Which cam??

Started by MikeL, November 04, 2018, 03:55:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeL

2007 Ultra 96cid 5k miles free flow air cleaner and reinhart slip ons.  Mostly 2 up highway and local. Florida bike.
I have 2 cams Andrews 57 and SE-255. Which 1 would you choose?? I appreciate any input Thanks!

MIKE

Ohio HD

If it were one or the other, I'd do the 255's.

1FSTRK

"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

Hillside Motorcycle

Of those 2 choices, the school-bus 255.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

tbird

Spend $250 and put a set of andrews 48's in.

Hilly13

I'm with tbird, sell the EPA school bus cams and the 57's to fund a set of 48's, but like the others said, of the two the 255's would be the better of the two in your case.
Just because its said don't make it so

Ozbob

andrews 48's all day.
Put em in mine from new and still in there 8 years later. pulls my SG like a train.

prodrag1320

Quote from: Hilly13 on November 08, 2018, 12:20:21 AM
I'm with tbird, sell the EPA school bus cams and the 57's to fund a set of 48's, but like the others said, of the two the 255's would be the better of the two in your case.

:agree:

1FSTRK

Quote from: tbird on November 05, 2018, 06:27:50 AM
Spend $250 and put a set of andrews 48's in.

Do any of you have a dyno sheet showing a 96" with the 48h cams and stock heads?
This cam is brought up often, seems like there would be more data out there showing how it works.

rigidthumper

Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

lonewolf

MikeL

If you retard the cam 4 degrees it's damn close to that 48 you all speak so highly of. I happen to have a -4 sprocket think it could work maybe better than the 255??

MIKE

PoorUB

Quote from: MIKEL on November 08, 2018, 01:42:25 PM
If you retard the cam 4 degrees it's damn close to that 48 you all speak so highly of. I happen to have a -4 sprocket think it could work maybe better than the 255??

MIKE

The 48 has longer duration and more overlap than the 255. Not sure where they are "damn close".
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

1FSTRK

Quote from: MIKEL on November 08, 2018, 01:42:25 PM

MIKE

If you retard it it is basically the timing of the Rushmore stock cam, I would put it in straight up because the stock 96"is light on compression.

1FSTRK

Quote from: rigidthumper on November 08, 2018, 07:41:37 AM
Here's one.  http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?topic=98936.0

Quote from: lonewolf on November 08, 2018, 09:00:29 AM
Here's a couple.

Thanks guys, that is what I was looking for.
Those graphs look like every decent SE255/96" with a good exhaust and tune. I see no cam related difference at all.I guess if you sell Andrews cams and are not a SE dealer you could justify it but with the OP owning the SE255 already there is no real gain with going to the 48.

sfmichael

Quote from: 1FSTRK on November 08, 2018, 04:20:12 PM
Quote from: rigidthumper on November 08, 2018, 07:41:37 AM
Here's one.  http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?topic=98936.0

Quote from: lonewolf on November 08, 2018, 09:00:29 AM
Here's a couple.

Thanks guys, that is what I was looking for.
Those graphs look like every decent SE255/96" with a good exhaust and tune. I see no cam related difference at all.I guess if you sell Andrews cams and are not a SE dealer you could justify it but with the OP owning the SE255 already there is no real gain with going to the 48.

probably the only motor I'd put 255's in is a 96" - and they will be very good with the correct pipe and a competent dyno tune
Colorado Springs, CO.

Hilly13

Yep, but we don't ride a dyno sheet....do we? 48 all day, it's just a better mousetrap.

1FSTRK

Quote from: Hilly13 on November 08, 2018, 10:58:59 PM
Yep, but we don't ride a dyno sheet....do we? 48 all day, it's just a better mousetrap.

Yep, that is the same thing the guys that try to tune their bikes by riding them on the street say, but none of this really matters because anyone will tell you black is the fastest color and no dyno can measure that.

Durwood

The way a bike feels left of 3k is very important to me, and IME the SE 255 is the winner. Plus the OP owns the 255's already.

We don't ride the dyno sheet, but it is very representative of how a bike feels on the street.

For example, comparing the feel of a bike that crosses 100 ft# at 2500 rpm, vs one that crosses 100 ft# at 2000, the difference is undeniably there on the street, just as it is on the graph.

MikeL

What I meant was retard the the Andrews 57 4 degrees.

Ohio HD

How is this even close?
[attach=0]

If you want to run what you have, run the 255's. The 57's will not run well in a 96" motor. They don't run well in a 103 without a touch more compression.

MikeL

By retarding the 57 4 deg it's gets close to the 48 spec wise, don't know if it makes a favorable difference.

MIKE

MikeL

Thanks guys the 255 is the 1!!!!
I'll save the 57 for something else.

MIKE

PoorUB

Quote from: MIKEL on November 09, 2018, 09:22:04 AM
By retarding the 57 4 deg it's gets close to the 48 spec wise, don't know if it makes a favorable difference.

MIKE

If that is "close" you aren't very picky!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Hilly13

Quote from: 1FSTRK on November 09, 2018, 04:17:33 AM
Quote from: Hilly13 on November 08, 2018, 10:58:59 PM

Yep, that is the same thing the guys that try to tune their bikes by riding them on the street say, but none of this really matters because anyone will tell you black is the fastest color and no dyno can measure that.

Guilty on both counts,  oh well, back in my box.

Hilly13

Quote from: Durwood on November 09, 2018, 05:37:43 AM
The way a bike feels left of 3k is very important to me, and IME the SE 255 is the winner. Plus the OP owns the 255's already.

We don't ride the dyno sheet, but it is very representative of how a bike feels on the street.

For example, comparing the feel of a bike that crosses 100 ft# at 2500 rpm, vs one that crosses 100 ft# at 2000, the difference is undeniably there on the street, just as it is on the graph.

I understand what you are saying Daren but I prefer, always have, the torque to come on later and carry right because other than letting out the clutch I don't ride at 2000 rpm.

N-gin

Being at sea level and the temps of Florida l would do the 57s.

The 255 sign off early (4500) yes it's probably the most seat of the pants feel, but its useless as a passing gear downshifting and wringing it out.
I'm not here cause of a path before me, Im here cause of the burnout left behind

1FSTRK

November 29, 2018, 07:26:43 PM #27 Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 07:35:47 PM by 1FSTRK
Quote from: N-gin on November 29, 2018, 06:32:09 PM
Being at sea level and the temps of Florida l would do the 57s.

The 255 sign off early (4500) yes it's probably the most seat of the pants feel, but its useless as a passing gear downshifting and wringing it out.

There are three 48 cam dyno sheets on the first page of this thread and the peak power is 86-93hp at 5500-5600 rpm. There are three or four 255 cam dyno sheets in the dyno section and the peak power is 89-90hp at 5400-5600 rpm. The biggest thing I see effecting the top of the curve is the pipe but as far as the data showing the claim of the 48 being superior in the upper riding range it is just not so.