April 25, 2024, 05:16:28 AM

News:

loud valvetrain with woods 9fg

Started by jpag, November 18, 2018, 10:19:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpag

Looking for suggestion or experience with trying to quite down valvetrain . I know its the nature of the beast to have SOME noise with the twin cam ,and the woods cams are known to be  a bit noisy. Just thought they wouldn't be as loud as they are its like a hammer on a anvil. Any suggestion or  do i just learn to live with it thanks.

FlaHeatWave

You might learn to live with it,,, but can the rest of your valve train??
'01 FXDWG2 Red 103/6sp  '05 FLHTCSE2 Cherry  '09 FLTRSE3 Yellow 117/DD7

1FSTRK

What is the rest of your valve train?
Lifters?
Valves?
Rockers?
Valve springs?
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

jpag

STAGE IV heads by hillside, i think they are S&S lifters  i will have to confirm stock rocker arm .

johnk1173

i have the woods 400 cam, woods springs, woods rocker supports, S&S roller rockers, S&S lifters with limiters, S&S quickee pushrods. It is much louder than any other setup i have heard.

Rockout Rocker Products

You might try rocker shaft inserts to stop shaft rotation & tapping... Bob Woods recommends a particular brand  :smiled:
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

moose

I tried everything  lifters rockers pushrods tapered     at the end I put in rocker lockers and poof 99 % gone  dont go any further till you try them
Moose aka Glenn-

jpag

I was definitely thinking of trying them seen some good feedback about them.

johnk1173

yeah, i have them too, but this is still loud as hell but i guess i can live with it for now.

Hossamania

If it's really hammering, make sure oil is getting to the top of the motor thru the pushrods. Some noise is normal, "hammering like an anvil" is not.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

jpag

Thanks will do, just put it up for the winter in my friends garage .

kd

Contact Hillside and ask about the valve spring pressure. Too potent and they may be slamming the valves shut on the seats with the quick ramps on the Wood cams. Then speak with Bobby Wood and see if he thinks they are a good match to his cam specs.   That will take a couple of phone calls.
KD

jpag

Thanks for the insight, will get on the phone with both tomorrow.

jamminhd2000

Sometimes you can get noise from pushrods hitting the top portion of the inner pushrod tube...it has been suggested to me to clearance those inner tubes with a 5/8" drill about 1" deep into top of inner pushrod tube.....jimmy

Ohio HD

That's a good suggestion on the tubes. There can be contact with the push rods on higher lift cams, depending on where the rocker arm is in relation to the tube. I go deeper when I can, just to be sure. But 1.000" deep is probably enough.

http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?topic=98592.msg1153413#msg1153413

1FSTRK

Check for contact between the pushrod end of the rockerarm and the rocker support with the valve closed, high lift and longer valve stem protrusion can cause clearance issues there. Look for any visible sign of rockerarm to rocker cover contact as well as clearance around upper spring collars where they are close to the supports and boxes.

Rsw

I'm running a Wood TW8 in a 110 build quiet as a mouse with  GMR heads

fidel

FXDBI

Check your rocker boxes to make sure your not touching a valve spring to the bottom box or rocker on the webbing on the top with that much lift on the cam and springs in the heads.   Bob

Hillside Motorcycle

Jason,
You may have a lifter issue.
AV&V .650" beehives.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

les

Quote from: FXDBI on November 18, 2018, 10:13:47 PM
Check your rocker boxes to make sure your not touching a valve spring to the bottom box or rocker on the webbing on the top with that much lift on the cam and springs in the heads.   Bob

Agreed, I would check that.

Hillside Motorcycle

There is more than plenty of room in that area.
Fact.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

jpag

Thanks for all the insight and replies talked to Scott today and he was more than happy to help going to take it up his shop after the holidays.

1FSTRK

November 19, 2018, 01:19:26 PM #23 Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 01:38:41 PM by 1FSTRK
Quote from: jpag on November 19, 2018, 12:52:04 PM
Thanks for all the insight and replies talked to Scott today and he was more than happy to help going to take it up his shop after the holidays.

The 9FG is a great cam, I am sure Scotty P will get you fixed up. Be sure to let us know when he gets it straightened out and what he found.

Edit for Scott P No Snipe intended.

Hillside Motorcycle

1FSTRK

itsafatboy

so does the sound seems to come from front exhaust valve area , its the closing ramp speed on the exhaust closing, like the Tw8g , kind of a crap shoot , sometimes its just how the valve hits the seat , but ya its tough to quite those down, I tried it all ,  rocker shims, rocker lockers , different lifters a bunch , different lifter settings, oversized gear drive, smaller pushrods , so on and so on, changed cams and bam quite as a mouse,  I actually run the 9BG cams and they are pretty quite , but they also don't have the same profile, I also run woods lifters and his 160 springs set a little higher on seat but not much,  so I run redline 20/50 it seems to keep its viscosity better than most, I did pin the rocker arms , just saying they are woods cams and that's how it is , but the W9F with a +4 advance in my 116 was a beast , the 9BG work well also and they are more quite in mine ,       

dynabagger

I put up with it for years. Using 9B's. The last time I had the rocker cover open I put rocker lockers in. They do make a noticeable difference. I still use ear plugs though.
2001 FXDXT, 117"
2014 KTM 1290 Super Duke R

FLDavetrain

My 9f with rollers and .140 preload are real quiet. No rocker lockers.
currently 510ci on tap

Armin

Did you check your gear lash? If there is too much lash between the inner, the outer gears or with both you have a terrible noise generator, especially when using high lift cams with rather steep lobes like Bob Wood's cams. Remedial action would be oversize gears.

Armin.
Nothing can ruin a Man's day faster than an Almost-Takeoff!