April 26, 2024, 04:42:45 AM

News:

loud valvetrain with woods 9fg

Started by jpag, November 18, 2018, 10:19:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1FSTRK

"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

itsafatboy

so does the sound seems to come from front exhaust valve area , its the closing ramp speed on the exhaust closing, like the Tw8g , kind of a crap shoot , sometimes its just how the valve hits the seat , but ya its tough to quite those down, I tried it all ,  rocker shims, rocker lockers , different lifters a bunch , different lifter settings, oversized gear drive, smaller pushrods , so on and so on, changed cams and bam quite as a mouse,  I actually run the 9BG cams and they are pretty quite , but they also don't have the same profile, I also run woods lifters and his 160 springs set a little higher on seat but not much,  so I run redline 20/50 it seems to keep its viscosity better than most, I did pin the rocker arms , just saying they are woods cams and that's how it is , but the W9F with a +4 advance in my 116 was a beast , the 9BG work well also and they are more quite in mine ,       

dynabagger

I put up with it for years. Using 9B's. The last time I had the rocker cover open I put rocker lockers in. They do make a noticeable difference. I still use ear plugs though.
2001 FXDXT, 117"
2014 KTM 1290 Super Duke R

FLDavetrain

My 9f with rollers and .140 preload are real quiet. No rocker lockers.
currently 510ci on tap

Armin

Did you check your gear lash? If there is too much lash between the inner, the outer gears or with both you have a terrible noise generator, especially when using high lift cams with rather steep lobes like Bob Wood's cams. Remedial action would be oversize gears.

Armin.
Nothing can ruin a Man's day faster than an Almost-Takeoff!