March 28, 2024, 01:02:06 PM

News:

2004 dyna fouling rear plug

Started by anthonyflhx, November 22, 2018, 05:12:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anthonyflhx

November 22, 2018, 05:12:02 PM Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 05:45:26 PM by anthonyflhx
My 2004 dyna started acting up today and keeps gas fouling rear plug. I swapped coil and plug wires with same results.
Any idea what it could be or where to look next?
I gassed up today with 87 non ethanol gas and she ran good for 15 miles then started lagging and running on 1 cylinder.
Wouldn't gas issue foul out both plugs?
Thanks in advance for any help.

dogger

Fixing the intake manifold leak took care of it for me when I had a similar problem.

anthonyflhx

November 22, 2018, 05:48:47 PM #2 Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 06:08:39 PM by anthonyflhx
How would i test for intake manifold leak? I just started bike and sprayed wd40 around the intake and there was no noticeable change in engine sound.???

Quote from: dogger on November 22, 2018, 05:46:03 PM
Fixing the intake manifold leak took care of it for me when I had a similar problem.

koko3052

Start the bike & spray a little WD40 around where the manifold meets the head. If engine rpm increases, you have found the leak.

anthonyflhx

Tried that and no change in engine idle. Getting a little worried here.

barny7655

comp test, change plug to other cylinder, check leads OHM test,is it carb, or EFI, loose injector harness if efi, cheers
riding since 62, BSA bantum the first bike

Armin

Looks like the rear cylinder is getting an overly rich mixture so the rear injector could be the culprit or the map for the afr could have gone south if the electrical wiring is not faulty.

Armin.
Nothing can ruin a Man's day faster than an Almost-Takeoff!

chopper

Got a case of dynamite, I could hold out here all night

rbabos

November 23, 2018, 05:49:48 AM #8 Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 06:51:12 AM by rbabos
Two choices, coil or injector. Coil generally throws a no combustion code, injector won't in that case. Intake leak won't cause that situation on EFI.
Ron

rigidthumper

No law says there's only one problem. On a carb's bike, could be a failed diaphragm in the fuel valve (that allows raw fuel to be drawn directly into the intake manifold) combined with poor intake seals, or a poorly seating enrichner dribbling raw fuel into the port.
On an EFI bike, stuck injector will cause this.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

anthonyflhx

Bike is fuel injected. How would you unclog injector?

rigidthumper

I'd swap them front to rear, to verify it's the injector and not the wiring ( a pinched ground wire will hold the injector open all the time).
Once you have found the culprit,  you can spend the $ to have it cleaned ( Marrin offers this service) or replace it ( used is prolly the cheapest, since guys replace them when doing big builds) I've seen em on eb ay for $15
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

anthonyflhx

Just did compression check and each cylinder was at about 125. Is that good or bad reading on a cold engine?

Moparnut72

Would be fine for a 2 stroke outboard but pretty low for a Harley. Did you open the throttle, if not you will get a low reading.
kk
If you find yourself in a fair fight,
You didn't prepare properly.

anthonyflhx

PoorUB

November 23, 2018, 12:05:38 PM #15 Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 12:10:02 PM by PoorUB
Bad gauge?
If the cylinders measure evenly I would suspect the compression is ok but you gauge is reading low. I would confirm it with another gauge before going crazy and ripping the engine apart!
How did you open the throttle? You need to open it up carefully with you fingers and jam it open with a screwdriver handle. Rolling on the twist grip will not do it.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

anthonyflhx

Rolled the throttle. I'll try again the way you suggested and post back.

Ohio HD

Gauge could just read low, they're the same so I doubt the compression is a problem. I'd switch the injectors as Robin suggested.

1FSTRK

Quote from: anthonyflhx on November 23, 2018, 01:16:56 PM

Your bike is a cable throttle so rolling and locking the grip is fine.
I would try rigidthumper suggestion and switch the front and rear injectors to see if the problem follows.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

Hybredhog

Depending on altitude, Compression can vary widely (4psi per 1000 ft. less), So if there more or less equal I'd say move on. Another possible situation is that '04-'05 had funky guide seals, but your plugs look pretty new to not show deposits. It not a bad idea to change the intake seals for S&G's as they do get old.
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

1FSTRK

"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

PoorUB

Quote from: 1FSTRK on November 23, 2018, 02:16:06 PM

Your bike is a cable throttle so rolling and locking the grip is fine.
I would try rigidthumper suggestion and switch the front and rear injectors to see if the problem follows.

Oops! I get hung up on the TBW stuff!

PoorUB

you did it right, cable throttle vs. TBW. My mistake.

anthonyflhx

Just pulled the injectors and the rear looks kinda burnt. I swapped em front and back and will fire up in morning to see if the front starts fouling the plug. If so i guess i need a new injector. Then i can run her over to the dealer and run another compression test.

anthonyflhx

November 24, 2018, 03:59:51 PM #24 Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 04:24:59 PM by anthonyflhx
Put 2 new fuel injectors in, got her all buttoned back up and still sounds like "Potty mouth" and rear cylinder fouling out. Now it looks like front is too lean as well. Have no idea what to do from here. Man spent the whole day working on it and still back to square 1.