March 29, 2024, 03:49:36 AM

News:

2004 dyna fouling rear plug

Started by anthonyflhx, November 22, 2018, 05:12:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rigidthumper

Is there a local auto parts place that can loan you a noid tester, or maybe order one like this :  https://www.amazon.com/Astro-7898-Deluxe-Signal-Lights/dp/B00061SH76/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1543257186&sr=8-2&keywords=noid+light+test+kit 
Quick way to check wiring to the injectors.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

anthonyflhx

What would that be used to check?

Quote from: rigidthumper on November 26, 2018, 10:34:45 AM
Is there a local auto parts place that can loan you a noid tester, or maybe order one like this :  https://www.amazon.com/Astro-7898-Deluxe-Signal-Lights/dp/B00061SH76/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1543257186&sr=8-2&keywords=noid+light+test+kit 
Quick way to check wiring to the injectors.

rigidthumper

Plug the noid tester into the connector that was hooked up to the injector, crank engine over- noid flashes if it's receiving a good signal from the ECM. HAndy to look at while tugging on wires

anthonyflhx

November 26, 2018, 12:52:53 PM #53 Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 04:38:51 PM by anthonyflhx
Ok quick update. Rented a compression gauge from o reillys and both cylinders measure at 145-150.

Also the ohm better was not set correctly. I adjust for 0 reading and then testing pin 19 it is steady at 3. I've wiggled and pulled the 2 wires all the way back to where the wire loom curves under center frame post. Strauss at 3 the whole time.

1FSTRK

Quote from: anthonyflhx on November 26, 2018, 12:52:53 PM
Ok quick update. Rented a compression gauge from o reillys and both cylinders measure at 145-150.

Now that we have that out of the way, back to fixing the bike.  :wink:

Quote from: rigidthumper on November 26, 2018, 11:15:23 AM
Plug the noid tester into the connector that was hooked up to the injector, crank engine over- noid flashes if it's receiving a good signal from the ECM. HAndy to look at while tugging on wires
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

N-gin

Had this same problem.
Found out my tune would change under low RPM in closed loop. The 2-1 was ( ThunderHeader) was not working well with the O2s. I also tried a BoarZilla results were not as bad. To correct it I had to open loop the lower RPMs. Anything under 3k with the ThunderHeader, and 2500 with the BoarZilla.

Swapping injectors or replacing will require returning.
I'm not here cause of a path before me, Im here cause of the burnout left behind

anthonyflhx

I don't have 02 sensors on bike. It's an 04 dyna. I unplugged ISIS and checked wiring and couldn't find anything wrong. Put her back together fired up and send to run alot better. Pulled plugs and both seemed to be burning normal.
Haven't been able to test ride yet, hopefully tomorrow.
Thanks for all the help and feedback. Praying i dodged a bullet.

anthonyflhx

Still acting up. Gonna try a new crack position sensor on Monday.

JMHD

Had a few sportsters that were 2004's that when they got to operating temp they would run rich and stumble that ended up being faulty CKP sensors.

anthonyflhx

I ended up taking it to dealer to see what they could find. Turns out the fuel pump hose in tank is shot and Harley doesn't have a replacement hose. You have to buy the whole fuel pump. Anyone know what size hose the fuel pump is and where to get one?

kd

I would be interested in hearing how the failing hose could cause the condition you are experiencing.
KD

PoorUB

Doesn't sound right to me either.

You can buy fuel injection hose at most  auto parts stores.  Make sure you get hose that is designed to be submerged in gas.

Also there is aftermarket sources for the Harley fuel lines. Maybe someone will post a supplier and part number.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

anthonyflhx

December 04, 2018, 07:42:32 AM #62 Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 08:05:23 AM by anthonyflhx
They said the spark plug wire on the rear cylinder was 3500 Ω out of spec, that with the sporadic fuel delivery or fuel pressure caused the rear cylinder to not get gas and spark at right time.
The crank position sensor checked out good.

rigidthumper

Its a formed hard line from the pump to the regulator, not available separately.  Entire assy can be purchased online for ~$150. I've never personally seen one go bad, but that would cause less fuel to make it to the injectors, not more-  :idunno:

rbabos

Quote from: anthonyflhx on December 04, 2018, 07:42:32 AM
They said the spark plug wire on the rear cylinder was 3500 Ω out of spec, that with the sporadic fuel delivery or fuel pressure caused the rear cylinder to not get gas and spark at right time.
The crank position sensor checked out good.
Pretty sure you see the problem with the statement of less fuel fouling the rear plug?
Ron

anthonyflhx

Yes I'm probly relating the information and correctly I believe they said that it was inner minute spark that was leaving on fired fuel in the cylinder that was fouling the rear plug but they're also happens to be a fuel pressure leak which is causing some problem or just something they stumbled across but if the rear spark Le pire ways out of sank 3500 Ω does that sound normal cars I tried 3 sets a spark plugs one of them came off another running like in the guy still running there's not wrong with his bike so if AI do all this work in it's still fouls the rear plug they eat the work until they find the culprit

Moparnut72

This thread keeps going on and on and on. I am not going to re-read this whole thing but I don't remember whether I saw if the valve seal has been checked on the intake valve or not. If not, this needs to be a priority. Some of the explanations I have seen are just not viable.
kk
If you find yourself in a fair fight,
You didn't prepare properly.

92flhtcu

484235 is the Tucker/Twin Power # for the line in the tank
I am in the camp that this is not going to fix the plug fouling issue
Need a bigger garage

anthonyflhx

Would the rear plug wire being 3500 ohms out of spec have anything to do with fouling plug?

1FSTRK

Quote from: anthonyflhx on December 04, 2018, 05:50:23 PM
Would the rear plug wire being 3500 ohms out of spec have anything to do with fouling plug?

A bad plug wire could cause the plug to not fire under load and gas foul. Didn't you say you tried a different set of good wires from a running bike and it made no difference?
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

anthonyflhx

Yes 3 sets. Gonna be interesting to see the results here in a couple days

jls 64

In my case it  was a.bat coil.not the wire
js

kd

Wouldn't it throw a code for that?  Was the 2004 ECM capable?
KD

jls 64

I Think since  2005 .will send a code
js

anthonyflhx

Turns out it wasn't the fuel line or rear plug. Now they say it's the ecm. Swapped out with a spare one and it didn't foul plugs.
When i complained about going off course and chasing the leaking fuel line and wasting 2 days for that part to come in they got pretty defensive saying that was still part of the "run ability issue".
Soooooo now we are at new ecm and new flash tune and a more expense than i was expecting. I pick her up in few days so we'll see how she runs then.
Thanks for all the help and feedback.