March 28, 2024, 10:16:55 AM

News:

efi fuel pump hose question

Started by klammer76, November 23, 2018, 11:47:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

klammer76

I am finally moving forward with converting my 2002 FLHTC from carb to delphi efi. Have been collecting parts for years and am retired now and have the time. As part of this, I am rebuilding a 2002 fuel pump before installing (fuel filter, regulator). I have read about the pin hole issues with the hoses and splitting the old hose and using it as a wrap for the new hose. Which hose is the one that is prone to getting the pin holes, hose from the regulator to quick connect or pump to filter or both?

Removing the fuel pump from the tank was a real treat  :dgust:. Not bad now that it is out and I can see how it's designed to work. Have to figure out what injector size to use and should be good to go.

Hybredhog

In my experience, It was more of a Softail issue with the pin holes in the Reg. to the coupler hose. The ST had a bit longer hose than needed ( but helped on installing), & rubbed on the inside of the tank.
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

04 SE Deuce

November 23, 2018, 02:03:24 PM #2 Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 02:45:31 PM by 04 SE DEUCE
I believe later hose kits are sized (hose lengths) so that they do not rub the tank.  My Deuce rubbed through the original hoses within a few months when new.  The replacements were shorter.  Bike has had 3 sets of hoses in 140K since with no extra wrap etc. and no problems. 

I use OEM almost exclusively but currently using a Twin Power kit from Tucker/Rocky (on advice here) as Harley filter prices have gotten ridiculous.  Still use OEM top plate gasket and screws.  I use a nylon ty-strap around the filter to regulator housing junction to hold them straight in-line with each other.  Also put an extra ty-strap on the electrical wiring to tidy it up.

Bottom line I'll bet if all pieces and hoses are positioned properly the hoses can't contact/rub the tank.

klammer76

Quote from: 04 SE DEUCE on November 23, 2018, 02:03:24 PM
I believe later hose kits are sized (hose lengths) so that they do not rub the tank.  My Deuce rubbed through the original hoses within a few months when new.  The replacements were shorter.  Bike has had 3 sets of hoses in 140K since with no extra wrap etc. and no problems. 

I use OEM almost exclusively but currently using a Twin Power kit from Tucker/Rocky (on advice here) as Harley filter prices have gotten ridiculous.  Still use OEM top plate gasket and screws.  I use a nylon ty-strap around the filter to regulator housing junction to hold them straight in-line with each other.  Also put an extra ty-strap on the electrical wiring to tidy it up.

Bottom line I'll bet if all pieces and hoses are positioned properly the hoses can't contact/rub the tank.
Thanks Rick. I searched and read a post of yours when you were doing your pump. I went with the Tucker/Rocky components also on advice from here.