April 19, 2024, 05:42:33 PM

News:

2001 RK inner primary bolts

Started by Tracker1, November 24, 2018, 12:46:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1canvas

I am changing the shifter lever on my 01 RK and I see they have no bolt seals in the kit. I called the dealer and was told my bike doesn't require them, is that correct?
2001 Road King

Coyote

You need to use some silicon under each bolt head.

aabikrman

Quote from: Tracker1 on November 24, 2018, 12:46:08 PM
I am changing the shifter lever on my 01 RK and I see they have no bolt seals in the kit. I called the dealer and was told my bike doesn't require them, is that correct?

I recently had the inner primary off of my 2000 FL and the bolts are reusable. Make sure the lock tabs are replaced though.  It's not recommended to reuse the lock tabs and used ones can be the source of leaks, or so I was told. They're very inexpensive.  I used Loctite 518 instead of silicone and the Loctite was much cleaner/easier to work with but either way you should be good and have no leaks...

1canvas

I do have new tabs. Years ago on my older bikes I didn't have tabs but I had some kind of O rings. What I am wondering though is with the tabs would I then have a sealer between the bolt head and tab and the bottom of the tab between that and the primary case?
2001 Road King

les

Black RTV silicone is what to use.  Of course, new locking tabs.

First, it's important to clean out any and all of the residual sealant from the bolt holes.  This includes at the very bottom of the bolt hole.  Get it all out.  When using the black RTV, take the applicator and go around the inside of the bolt hole that faces the engine and tranny, for the holes that require sealing.  Don't put any on the face of the primary that goes against the engine and tranny, and wipe any off that gets on there from the application of the black RTV in the bolt holes.

Karl H.

Dyna Wide Glide '03, Softail Deluxe '13, Street Glide '14, Sportster 883R '15

1FSTRK

"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

motorhogman

Quote from: 1FSTRK on November 25, 2018, 03:48:38 AM
Quote from: Karl H. on November 25, 2018, 01:26:23 AM
The book says:

What model years does that book cover?

That's what is says in my 2001 FLT SM  Section 6 page 25
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

smoserx1

That caution is in my 99 FLT manual, but about a year later I read in a tech tip or service bulletin not to use sealant on the bolt threads cause you can crack the cases.  My book also says to use the sealant on the rear of the case around the mounting holes but I have a later SM in electronic form that says not to do this because it can cause interference.  Who do you believe and why is it different?  Also if you think about something, when Harley came out with the self sealing bolts they did away with the locking tabs.  if you use locking tabs it will do no good to  put sealant just on the underside of the bolt heads unless you also use it on the rear of the locking tab cause oil can get around there too.  I think the key here is to use this sealant sparingly wherever you decide.  Anyway after reading all this contradictory information all I do anymore is use a very thin layer of RTV sealant around the bolt holes on the mating surface of the rear of the case and  install it before the sealant hardens.  That way it should squish out and not cause any interference issues.  I have had my primary off several times now and have not had a leak doing it this way.

mrmike

When I did the shifter change on my 03 RK I used Locktite 518 in place of Silicone and Locktite thread sealant on the inner primary bolt threads.

All bolt holes were chased out with a thread cleaner tap and blown clean with brake cleaner and air.

No issues and no leaks.

For what it's worth the Cometic gasket kit I used came with the gaskets for the bolts, they were too small for the inner primary bolts on my 03.

Mike
I'm not leaving til I have a good time

Karl H.

Dyna Wide Glide '03, Softail Deluxe '13, Street Glide '14, Sportster 883R '15

les

Quote from: smoserx1 on November 25, 2018, 05:31:20 AM
That caution is in my 99 FLT manual, but about a year later I read in a tech tip or service bulletin not to use sealant on the bolt threads cause you can crack the cases.  My book also says to use the sealant on the rear of the case around the mounting holes but I have a later SM in electronic form that says not to do this because it can cause interference.  Who do you believe and why is it different?  Also if you think about something, when Harley came out with the self sealing bolts they did away with the locking tabs.  if you use locking tabs it will do no good to  put sealant just on the underside of the bolt heads unless you also use it on the rear of the locking tab cause oil can get around there too.  I think the key here is to use this sealant sparingly wherever you decide.  Anyway after reading all this contradictory information all I do anymore is use a very thin layer of RTV sealant around the bolt holes on the mating surface of the rear of the case and  install it before the sealant hardens.  That way it should squish out and not cause any interference issues.  I have had my primary off several times now and have not had a leak doing it this way.

Don't use it on the threads!  You go around the bore of the hole in the primary.  Also, it is critical (as mentioned) to remove ALL old sealant from the bottom of the bolt holes in the engine and tranny.  Leaving any in the bottom will result in cranking the case.  Your fine point punch should "tink" metal at the bottom of the bolt holes if everything is clean.  I don't recommend putting the sealant on the mating surfaces.  Put it in the holes of the primary, going all the way around.