April 19, 2024, 10:37:41 AM

News:

Reworking the old SE Preformance heads

Started by JLockhart29, November 25, 2018, 09:29:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JLockhart29

As I posted earlier fixing to redo my old "Hippo" build. Looks like I'm probably going with the 107 board cylinders and crank with my .570 gear. Pretty sure Dark Horse going to get my bottom end work but trying to decide on head work. This may be a stupid question but with the wide spread use of CNC machines will the same program that is used on stock heads, which I would assume is the vast majority, work on my SE heads and if not suggestions on who "specializes" in reworking them? :pop:

Ohio HD

I wouldn't be concerned with what their process will be. Rather what their end product will be. Look in the vendor section of this site. There are a few that you can contact. Also search the site regarding their name for projects that used their heads. The dyno section is also a good place to look for this as well.

wfolarry

Those early SE heads have the same ports as the SE Evo heads. Find somebody with experience with them or you'll end up with boat anchors. I don't know of anybody off hand that has a CNC program for them. Maybe Zippers.

TorQuePimp

No cnc needed for those heads

Minimal handwork,new guides, springs

Very easy to make improvement

Don D

It isn't hard to get them to work better. It is real easy to trash them.

JLockhart29

I guess I didn't phrase my question quite right. Wasn't saying they had to be CNC at all just that so many shops use it that the art of hand porting is less and less. Question better states is suggestions on who has experience working on the old style SE Performance heads regardless on how. As noted more than once they can become expensive trot line weights fast! :fish:

Ohio HD

Several guys can do the work, several are site supporting shops on HTT. One guy who answered, WFO Larry, I've used him for a few projects. Heads came out great.

http://www.larrysmotorcyclemachine.com/

Hillside Motorcycle

Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"